January 2008 - Opinion Poll

Do you use your cellphone to access the Web using GPRS/EDGE/WAP?

• Yes, I surf the Web on mobile daily

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • Yes I use it only once-twice a week

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I don't simply because I feel it is not secured. (Bad experiences, if any)

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • No, I don't use the Mobile Web as the speeds are very slow. (Name the service provider)

Votes: 52 46.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

expertno.1

Technomancer
Airtel GPRS is the only source of ma internet both on pc and mobile :D

have loaded above 20 GB in total data counter :D

and in mobile......UCweb shows 3000 mb as data counter (which means i surfed this much along with the downloads in mobile)

I have the symbian phone and using GPRS is such a breeze.....can get info of anything on the go ......anywhere anytime .....plus can provide net to any pc too.....so option A

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1

casanova

The Frozen Nova
No, I don't use the Mobile Web as the speeds are very slow. My service provider is Airtel. Also, calls are quite often dropped if gprs is used for longer times on mobiles

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
2 option for me.
I use my cell phone to access once or twice in a week.
Reason is -->> Slow speed.
I am happy with my Airtel BB 256 Kbps speed.

anand1

In the zone
4. My option.
Yes i do also never try to use my Mobilephone for netconnect as the speed are too slow. I use my Laptop to connect to my Airtel BB and i love using it.

src2206

In the zone
Cellphone to access internet? A strict no no for me (for the time being at least). It is not secured enough and the speed is horrible. Then the price is too high. Not to mention that I find it too inconvenient to type using the small keypad of a cell phone. I believe it is necessary for those who are always on the move and can afford a communicator which sports a decent QWERTY key board.

Wh!Zk!D

Broken In
I am a WAP nerd.

I am always online on my phone.. logged on to a chat client as I prefer being online all the time. The only time I go offline is when the chat client closes due to the poor memory management in Series 60 third edition. Crap.

Been using GPRS for the last four years. It was free back then :roll: then they changed it to 150 and now 349.

I mostly access the net from my phone. I have a broadband conenction at home BSNL @2mbps - but nothing beats GPRS as it enables me to be online anywhere I am.

I have almost all browsers installed on the phone so that I can browse multiple webpages at the same time. :grin:

And whoever says gprs is too too slow for surfing, I agree. But its not that bad either.

With EDGE, i get speeds upto 32 KBps in the morning at home. I still don't know why this is in the morning only.. as the speed drops down during the day.

Simply put, i can't live without a GPRS enabled mobile phone. I feel shut off from the rest of the world.

AMEN.

Wh!Zk!D

Broken In
pritish_kul2 said:
One should not surf the net on mobile as it is the costs are very high,then the speed is also low.

Well.. it works perfectly fine for me. Obviously, I dont use it to download movies or torrents. But 32KBps with EDGE aint bad eh? I can download a 1 mb file in just under two odd minutes. And the rates are reasonable. Although it differs from circle to circle.

There is always a different viewpoint. Your post "implies" that no one should surf the net on the phone. Which obviously is not true as I do use it and I know there are many others like me. :)

expertno.1

Technomancer
Wh!Zk!D said:
Well.. it works perfectly fine for me. Obviously, I dont use it to download movies or torrents. But 32KBps with EDGE aint bad eh? I can download a 1 mb file in just under two odd minutes. And the rates are reasonable. Although it differs from circle to circle.
:)
in 32KBps edge you can load 1 mb in less than 35 seconds because u get speeds from 24 KB/s to 28 KB/s

i get speeds of 8 KB/s ......and can download 1 mb in 2 min 5 sec......

*img184.imageshack.us/img184/4270/51467166xa3.th.jpg

and can upload 1 mb in 1 min 39 seconds @ 10 KB/s

*img407.imageshack.us/img407/6802/78067818uj3.th.jpg

Thanks
Regards.....
Expertno.1

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
AirTel GPRS/MO is the only way I can connect to Internet.

AirTel MO enabled me to connect to Internet from Linux and then after that I regularly using it. :)

But no EDGE here and too much poor speed. I got 2-3 KBps downloading speed.

Tapomay

Lazy fat guy..
My vote goes for Option [A]
No cheap and good BB service is available here. So I previously used BSNL's dial-up service. But after paying the huge bills (for nothing) for a few years I decided to go for Airtel's MO plan. No EDGE here, so Speed is very very slow. But I have to use it for now. :(

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
In September 2007 I got my BSNL Broadband connetion but b4 that I surfed web using my mobile phone as modem(Nokia 5200). ISP was Airtel. Speed was OK as expected from GPRS connection but but during 3:00AM to 7:30AM speed 'came enviable to a broadband connection. How and Why u guys tell me.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Airtel MO is the only best option for me here as I can't afford to have a broadband connection now. I pay only 100rs/month unlimited..no other charges..and yeah I do have a GPRS EDGE phone(w300i).

So I choose the 1st option.

Whn I am on the move, I use Opera Mini to browse the sites including this forum, GMail app for mails, RSS feeds for news, Google Maps mobile, Morange Mini for chat,mails...

More often I do download mp3s, ebooks and softwares. I even downloaded 2 complete movies in the past using my mobile. Speeds are good in the morning...and is very good if I use download manager.

Right now I am happy with the service but I really hope to see Mobile Internet revolution happening in India (3G/4G).

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
voted for 2nd option
Even though i don't like browsing from mobile,quite often i find situation were i have to rely on my Airtel GPRS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom