Issue with Palit HD4850 Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMN

In the zone
my 3 days old Card is giving me few probs!

initially i got few red vertical patches on the screen followed by vertical green dots and this use to disappear when i my Vista gets loaded.

but since morning i keep getting this all the time and i get a BSOD after the "Loading" screen of Vista.this keeps happening and i cant access my OS...the only way is to boot in Safe Mode and then restart...though the patches come agiain it disappears after Vista is loaded.
i have not been able to test my card much since i don't have any games right now,but tried furmark and my display crashed.
My driver ver is 8.541.0.0.

tq

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
my 3 days old Card is giving me few probs!

initially i got few red vertical patches on the screen followed by vertical green dots and this use to disappear when i my Vista gets loaded.

but since morning i keep getting this all the time and i get a BSOD after the "Loading" screen of Vista.this keeps happening and i cant access my OS...the only way is to boot in Safe Mode and then restart...though the patches come agiain it disappears after Vista is loaded.
i have not been able to test my card much since i don't have any games right now,but tried furmark and my display crashed.
My driver ver is 8.541.0.0.

tq

You must upgrade Graphics driver to 8.10

OP
R

RMN

In the zone
im having trouble installing XP(BSOD)

@desibond
sry i already have them...under "device Manager" it shows 8.541.0.0.

tkin

Back to school!!
im having trouble installing XP(BSOD)

@desibond
sry i already have them...under "device Manager" it shows 8.541.0.0.
Go to mobo bios, look for the Storage(HDD) Configuration section, then set drives as IDE. The BSOD during XP installation is caused if storage is configured as AHCI.

OP
R

RMN

In the zone
Update:I took my card to Tirupati and they tried it on their system without the drivers and there was absolutely no prob.I asked them to try with the drivers on but they said then they will need 2 days.
and they also told me that the prob sounds like a SW issue and asked me to do a clean install of Vista again.esp if i had updated my mobo driver or BIOS(and i had updated)so i took the card home.put it back to my system and reinserted the RAM...voila no prob!....next day it comes back.!i called tirupati and the guy tells me IT IS a SW issues and hence cant replace...he asked me to to a clean installation of VISTA

i reinstalled(clean) my Vista 32bit and installed the latest drivers for everything.
its been around 4 days....first couple of days i had no prob but then it slowly it started to come back and now every time i shutdown my pc and switch it back on after more than 10mins,i have to restart at least 10 times to get through the Vista loading screen....once that's done then no prob!.

ill explain my prob again-when i switch the system on right after the MSI screen i get red bars and green dots on my screen...then VISTA loading screen comes...after that the screen goes blank and the comes the BSOD with atikmdag.sys!
i have only tried the game that come with 3dmark06...played for 3-4 mins and was fine.....also i was able to complete the 3dmark benchmark succesfully with a score of 9960.
no OCing done on any parts.

i cant still figure out if its a HW or SW issue and i have no options left...pls help me..
tq

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
when

I took my card to Tirupati and they tried it on their system without the drivers and there was absolutely no prob

i presume there was none of these symptoms
when i switch the system on right after the MSI screen i get red bars and green dots on my screen

you might want to try updating the motherboard BIOS to a newer version if available.
you might want to check out the fans of the graphics card..run some games and see if it revs up or not.
you also might want to check ur system ram also

appearance of dots and all are not a good sign esp in the boot screen..indicating some sorts of problem..
did you installed it properly...was the requisite power cable connected...

more later

OP
R

RMN

In the zone
my BIOS is the latest ver.
the fan seems to be ok coz even when i benchmark with 3dmark the temp stays bet 50-60.

tkin

Back to school!!
Update:I took my card to Tirupati and they tried it on their system without the drivers and there was absolutely no prob.I asked them to try with the drivers on but they said then they will need 2 days.
and they also told me that the prob sounds like a SW issue and asked me to do a clean install of Vista again.esp if i had updated my mobo driver or BIOS(and i had updated)so i took the card home.put it back to my system and reinserted the RAM...voila no prob!....next day it comes back.!i called tirupati and the guy tells me IT IS a SW issues and hence cant replace...he asked me to to a clean installation of VISTA

i reinstalled(clean) my Vista 32bit and installed the latest drivers for everything.
its been around 4 days....first couple of days i had no prob but then it slowly it started to come back and now every time i shutdown my pc and switch it back on after more than 10mins,i have to restart at least 10 times to get through the Vista loading screen....once that's done then no prob!.

ill explain my prob again-when i switch the system on right after the MSI screen i get red bars and green dots on my screen...then VISTA loading screen comes...after that the screen goes blank and the comes the BSOD with atikmdag.sys!
i have only tried the game that come with 3dmark06...played for 3-4 mins and was fine.....also i was able to complete the 3dmark benchmark succesfully with a score of 9960.
no OCing done on any parts.

i cant still figure out if its a HW or SW issue and i have no options left...pls help me..
tq
Check whether your RAM stick is O.K, run memtest86 to be sure, the problem can also be related to the motherboard.

The best possible solution is to take your HDD along with the GFx card to Tirupati(or a friend's house), use your HDD along with the GFx card to boot up to find whether its a software issue, if boot-up is O.K then the problem is related with the mobo probably.

If problem occures during boot-up install XP, and consider changing the HDD.

tkin

Back to school!!
you mean i have to try a diff RAM?
First do what I said earlier, if the PC boots @ Tirupati's service centre with your GFx card and your HDD then the problem is either with the mobo or RAM, then try to change the RAM(use a friend's, even 256MB will do) if PC boots O.K then problem is with your old RAM, if PC doesn't boot with new RAM then the mobo's the culprit.

P.S-Try to use older drivers from ATI.

If PC fails to boot @ Tirupati's then your HDD's dead, get a new one.

SMPS can also cause trouble, faulty SMPS can cause BSOD.

OP
R

RMN

In the zone
ok ill try them...
but if the HHD is dead then i would not be able to access my files right?

ok i have 2 old 256 sticks of HYNIX...its says DDRPC333 and DDRPC400...can i use this in my system?

Last edited:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i dont think your motherboard supports ddr400 or ddr333 ram..it only support DDR2 667/800/1066 RAM

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
Hey Buddy
Have U Checked Ur Hd4850 On Friends Comp Coz There U Can Get A Clear Picture....secondly Check Ur Smps Coz That Cud Sort Of Trouble
First Do One Thing Uninstall Vista, Install Windows Xp And See If It Works Or Not If It Doesnt Work Switch To Old Drivers If Everything Fails Then It Is A Hardware Fault
One Of The Three Parts Cud The Problem
1.motherboard
2.ur Smps
3.graphics Card
(graphic Card Is Just A Option )
These Three Come Into Picture When Video Problem Is Involved.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom