Is theitdepot.com reliable online shopping website

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

satyamy

Alive Again...
syogan said:
Satyamy

Have u ever bought anything from www.theitdepot.com and had a problem or is it just I don't like it so it's not reliable
offcourse

few weeks ago
I buyied a DVD Writer for Rs. 2100 + 115 extra /- from www.theitdepot.com
& on the next day my frnd said he bought a New DVD Writer for Rs. 1900/- from lamington + Rs. 20 extra (Bus Fares)

So wht do u think
which one is reliable........?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
What I feel and do is to buy only hard to get items from online shops.

But what I heard is that in western countries online shopping is always cheaper.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Well, click on the link *cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=8241884164574&lang=en-IN&mkt=en-IN&FORM=CVRE9
Theitdepot had a technical support site http//theitdepot.net, which no longer exists.The above link gives you a cached page. If the link does not open copy and paste. Read on and it is a mystery as to what happened further, but you know the woes of a customer.Guard yourself before buying online.

proton

fight evil
Ponmayilal said:
Well, click on the link *cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=8241884164574&lang=en-IN&mkt=en-IN&FORM=CVRE9
Theitdepot had a technical support site http//theitdepot.net, which no longer exists.The above link gives you a cached page. If the link does not open copy and paste. Read on and it is a mystery as to what happened further, but you know the woes of a customer.Guard yourself before buying online.

I shall modify the last statement:
"Guard yourself before and after buying online":)

syogan

Broken In
Satyamy

do you real mean to say that www.Theitdepot.com is not reliable because you paid a higher price?

seems like you have a bone to pick because a friend pointed out that he bought it cheaper.

Ponmayilal said:

Like you said you don't know what happened. Being on gaurd is a perogative of any customer be it online or offline but the issue is whether www.theitdepot.com is reliable or not.

Ponmayil how did you know about the tech support page????

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
yep @syogan, a year or so ago I had as part of my academic program done a small paper on "e-commerce in India" and at that time I had gone through the website and also that of many other online sellers.

syogan

Broken In
ponmayil

All i have heard so far is that the terms and conditions are not good and that there has been an issue noted on their support page that we have no idea how it ended and therefore your contention and opinion about their reliability. You have also mentioned that you would rather buy elsewhere if you choose to buy online.

We are not discussing where you would like to buy if you choose to buy online here. We are only trying to ascertain whether www.theitdepot.com is reliable or not.

The only People who have actually bought from www.theitdepot.com and have participated on this discussion say that it is reliable but a bit costly.
Your posts seem to have done a sales talk for computerwarehouse rather than through any light on the reliability of www.theitdepot.com.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
@syogan
1. Have you purchased anything from the itdepot.com before opining that “their service is good.” Or is it because so many people have purchased and were happy and so me too joins them?
2. Just because I compared the terms and conditions of Computerwarehouse and the itdepot.com, and stated “IMO theitdepot.com fails to inspire any buyer's confidence.” do you consider it as a sales talk in favour of Computerwarehouse?
3. Be it Computerwarehouse, theitdepot or any other online /offline vendor, all or most of them by and large deal with the same products by reputed manufacturers. I have , as a computer hobbyist, purchased computer peripherals from theitdepot, Computerwarehouse, Delta Peripherals, Xserve India, Rashi Peripherals, Priya International and various other dealers/distributors big and small. If the consumers who bought them feel happy about it, it only confirms the reliability and credibility of the manufacturers and no credit can really be attributed to the sellers. IMO the seller’s reliability and credibility is established by their policies made known to the buyers before they purchase and the service and support they provide after the sale, in consonance with accepted fair trade practices. I have clearly stated in a previous post “It may so happen that in almost 95% of the cases the delivery may be prompt and the products work without any problems.What does the seller do or wants to do in the reminder of 5% of the cases? This is where the seller's true colour is revealed.”
4. This thread was started by agnels who has complained that after receipt of the money, theitdepot has failed to respond to his queries.I had brought out the other instance ( *cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=8286006714751&lang=en-IN&mkt=en-IN&FORM=CVRE5 )wherein theitdepot had supplied a wrong card and after the buyer sent it back through the person/courier authorised by theitdepot , theitdepot was only being evasive for months. They also did not reply to his last post. And there was not an iota of regret on their part for delivering a wrong product. Neither agnels nor elendil had come out on what happened further in their cases but it does not take away the frustration and agony they had experienced.
5. I am definitely not on the payroll of Computerwarehouse.But in an indirect comment on their policy and in favour of theitdepot, you have stated “No tall promises such as the 7 day iron clad warranty but ussually the people who make tall promises are the ones who shaft you” Have you been “shafted” by anyone like that or is it a wild statement not based on any facts? Your comment that satyamy had “a bone to pick up” is also not in good taste.
6. You are welcome to give your opinions for or against , but please do not try to denigrate others either directly or indirectly.

satyamy

Alive Again...
syogan said:
Satyamy

do you real mean to say that www.Theitdepot.com is not reliable because you paid a higher price?

seems like you have a bone to pick because a friend pointed out that he bought it cheaper.

yes
i dont believe them

syogan

Broken In
@Ponmayilal
1. Have you purchased anything from the itdepot.com before opining that “their service is good.” Or is it because so many people have purchased and were happy and so me too joins them?
You are imagining or assuming things I have never stated that the service from www.theitdepot.com is either good nor Bad???
2. Just because I compared the terms and conditions of Computerwarehouse and the itdepot.com, and stated “IMO theitdepot.com fails to inspire any buyer's confidence.” do you consider it as a sales talk in favour of Computerwarehouse?
Terms and conditions cannot be a yardstick for reliability. "Enron" was at one time one of the most reliable companies. Your statement was either very naive or prejudiced.

3. Be it Computerwarehouse, theitdepot or any other online /offline vendor, all or most of them by and large deal with the same products by reputed manufacturers. I have , as a computer hobbyist, purchased computer peripherals from theitdepot, Computerwarehouse, Delta Peripherals, Xserve India, Rashi Peripherals, Priya International and various other dealers/distributors big and small. If the consumers who bought them feel happy about it, it only confirms the reliability and credibility of the manufacturers and no credit can really be attributed to the sellers. IMO the seller’s reliability and credibility is established by their policies made known to the buyers before they purchase and the service and support they provide after the sale, in consonance with accepted fair trade practices. I have clearly stated in a previous post “It may so happen that in almost 95% of the cases the delivery may be prompt and the products work without any problems.What does the seller do or wants to do in the reminder of 5% of the cases? This is where the seller's true colour is revealed.”

In the service industry 100% customer satisfaction is a myth. At India 95% would be a great acheivement. In any case we are discussing about theitdepot and you have only established that a)they did not respond to agnels query. Yes It is their duty to repond to a query and b) they have no regret in delivering a wrong product. Please read the post again. they have mentioned that there was a time delay on the part of the customer to inform www.theitdepot.com and also that this matter involved a legal process. Now if it was a simple question of a mix up of products where will the question of legal process come in. There is more to it than just a wrong product dispatch. Have you any idea how long it takes for any legal process to get done at INDIA? so to summarise you have established that
a) they did not respond to agnels query
b) A wrong product is claimed to have been received by a a customer who has informed theitdepot after a time dalay and which theitdepot seems to be doing some legal verification.
therefore theitdepot is not reliable. If such are your benchmarks for reliablity please can you let us know what online stores you consider reliable at India??
4. This thread was started by agnels who has complained that after receipt of the money, theitdepot has failed to respond to his queries.I had brought out the other instance ( *cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=8286006714751&lang=en-IN&mkt=en-IN&FORM=CVRE5 )wherein theitdepot had supplied a wrong card and after the buyer sent it back through the person/courier authorised by theitdepot , theitdepot was only being evasive for months. They also did not reply to his last post. And there was not an iota of regret on their part for delivering a wrong product. Neither agnels nor elendil had come out on what happened further in their cases but it does not take away the frustration and agony they had experienced.
Yes both of them would have obviously experienced anger and frustration.
5. I am definitely not on the payroll of Computerwarehouse.But in an indirect comment on their policy and in favour of theitdepot, you have stated “No tall promises such as the 7 day iron clad warranty but ussually the people who make tall promises are the ones who shaft you” Have you been “shafted” by anyone like that or is it a wild statement not based on any facts? Your comment that satyamy had “a bone to pick up” is also not in good taste.

My statement was to counter your contention that the terms and conditions are good and therefore they are reliable. YES I have been shafted, lots of times too whereas it seems that you have never been shafted. You must be young Please check with others(about being shafted), do some reading or just wait for experience to catch up with you.
I stand by my comment "a bone to pick up" Just because a product is cheaper somewhere else it does not make them unreliable(www.theitdepot.com). A product can and will always be found cheaper somewhere else. Again this statement was either very naive or prejudiced.
Good taste Bad taste. One man's food can be another man's poison. Please do not impose personal standards.
6. You are welcome to give your opinions for or against , but please do not try to denigrate others either directly or indirectly.
Let us not get into what is denigratring. However The intention in my comment was to highlight the possible reason or motive for your statement. If such is not the case let it show otherwise.

We are trying to acertain whether theitdepot is reliable or not. Maybe we should first define reliability. How can and how should we judge whether a site is reliable or not? Maybe the problem is becuase there are no benchmarks for this measurement.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
syogan said:
Check this out

*www.techenclave.com/forums/is-theitdepot-com-shopping-reliable-71832.html

The service is good. No tall promises such as the 7 day iron clad warranty but ussually the people who make tall promises are the ones who shaft you.

@syogan
Was this not your post? "The service is good" Was this not your statement?
and hence my question
Have you purchased anything from the itdepot.com before opining that “their service is good.” Or is it because so many people have purchased and were happy and so me too joins them?
Am I imagining or assuming things?:eek: OMG.

syogan

Broken In
Ponmayilal said:
@syogan
Was this not your post? "The service is good" Was this not your statement?
and hence my question
Have you purchased anything from the itdepot.com before opining that “their service is good.” Or is it because so many people have purchased and were happy and so me too joins them?
Am I imagining or assuming things?:eek: OMG.

Oops my mistake. OMG you caught me .........

so much for benchmarking reliability

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
@syogan
I appreciate your admission of mistake. Still, while “satyamy” answered your question, you chose not to answer the same question thrown back to you.

syogan

Broken In
Ponmayilal said:
@syogan
I appreciate your admission of mistake. Still, while “satyamy” answered your question, you chose not to answer the same question thrown back to you.

My addmission of mistake ?????????? I guess you find satire challenging.

anyways if you have something to say about "Is www.theitdepot.com reliable?" say it or you are just wasting everybody's time.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
When a consumer wants to buy online how does he assess the “reliability” of an online seller? 1. He does not have direct contact with the seller.2. He may not have friends around who have made online purchases to ascertain their experience. In the circumstances what is stated by the seller in his website be it terms and conditions or policies assumes quite a significance.The consumer will be right in comparing this aspect with that of other online sellers and if he chooses seller no.1 dumping seller no 2., it automatically means that he reposes confidence in seller no.1 and does not want to rely on seller no.2.The same thing holds good on the price front. If seller no.1 sells the same product at a less price, in the consumer's perception seller no 1. is happy with a reasonable profit and therefore he may rather rely on him than seller no.2. who wants to make quick money. Adverse experiences of a few customers who had problems as reported and available in the public domain carry much more weightage in his assessment of reliability than prompt and expeditious delivery, the product works fine etc, which are expected as a matter of fact and routine. Thus a consumer’s perception of reliability is fully a subjective matter which does not lend itself to any quantitative yardstick measurement.
It will be naive to say that terms and conditions, policies etc., cannot be used to assess reliability. It will be naive to say the price cannot be used to assess reliability.It will be naive to say that only persons who have purchased can talk on reliability. It will be naïve to say only positive comments should be taken and adverse experience of a few cannot be taken in assessing reliability.
And it will be naive on my part to assume that “syogan” is someone without vested interests. One Mr.Shanmugavel Yogan is the Managing Director of Cyber Space Abacus Private Ltd., which runs the itdepot. This info is available on the web. Does “syogan” relate to this name? IMO yes 100%. I cannot wish it away as a coincidence. With this info in mind, those who posted and also those who view can go through all that is said under this thread and can make their own inference as to who is picking a bone and who is making a sales talk, trying to turn the tide.
And byeeeee…………………………………….to this thread.

proton

fight evil
Kudos to Ponmayilal for unmasking syogan. I had this doubt from the day syogan entered into this otherwise dormant thread till then, but chose to wait and watch. If as exposed syogan is indeed the Managing Director of the firm that owns theitdepot (very few will have doubts on it) he should come out clean and answer the following questions.
1.Why did not theitdepot respond to agnels queries after it received payment? Was the order finally executed and how many days after payment?
2.In the case of elendil who received a wrong item, please clarify unambiguously what the legal issue was?
3.Against whom and in which court of law such legal process was initiated, that would have involved a long time as claimed?
4.What happened finally? Was the issue resolved? When and how?
Friends, let us wait and watch whether syogan will make his appearance again or has called it quits like Ponmayilal ( hopefully from this thread only as stated )

praka123

left this forum longback
Also,I'd like to know if these sort of terms and conditions listed in his website can be noted to Cyber Crime cell,Chennai :x

proton

fight evil
While many of the blatantly one-sided terms and conditions will not stand the scrutiny of law if an aggrieved consumer hauls up the trader in a court of law, there is effectively no mechanism to prevent sellers from exhibiting such unfair terms. In US there are local communities which run Better Business Bureaus which form part of a countrywide network, that evaluates the member companies' and traders' online Reliability standards for ethical online business practices and allows them to exhibit BBBOnLine Reliability seal. *www.bbbonline.org/consumer/
Till such time we have such watchdog mechanisms, it will be for the consumers to be alert,raise their voice and shun such traders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom