Is there any worth to National pride?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Every country has its own classic musical art form, what makes ours so much better than theirs?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I feel proud of my country only for its communal harmony . People in other country feel surprised when they find HIndu,Muslim,Sikh,Christan,Buddhist all living together ...still there is peace :)

Culture..mmm not that happy coz it did not improve with time and some people feel proud with following all those bad rituals ..specially dowry, showoff in parties and marriages which nearly is a waste of all savings of a father...which are also the sole reason of killing baby girls

One thing I dont quit understand...if Sunita williams goes into space after doing a NASA job for 15 years ...y should be India proud of her?? what contribution she gave here. rather then improving our scintific research these guys go to other country to contribute and we feel proud of them..strange

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
we have 2

None of which are very celebrated. Carnatic lesser than Hindustani.

I feel proud of my country only for its communal harmony . People in other country feel surprised when they find HIndu,Muslim,Sikh,Christan,Buddhist all living together ...still there is peace :)

Culture..mmm not that happy coz it did not improve with time and some people feel proud with following all those bad rituals ..specially dowry, showoff in parties and marriages which nearly is a waste of all savings of a father...which are also the sole reason of killing baby girls

One thing I dont quit understand...if Sunita williams goes into space after doing a NASA job for 15 years ...y should be India proud of her?? what contribution she gave here. rather then improving our scintific research these guys go to other country to contribute and we feel proud of them..strange

That peace is more like a facade to show in propaganda and the media. In reality there is a tension among the communities (religious or otherwise). Just imagine what it takes to start a communal riot over here.

As for Sunita Williams, she is of American nationality and not Indian at all, except for ancestry.

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^ yaah but peace is still there...its only those ideot politicians who start the flame...else we r cool with everyone

National pride and such stuff seem B.S to me. People use these words and ideals to feels part of a group.
This about this, a people have been saying they are patriotic for ever, when the divide (or want to) into another country or state (ex:pakistan or telangana).
They suddenly start becoming patriotic to a new one and try to hate the old one with all their heart.
Thats patriotism in a nut shell....
P.S: How come ppl get more patriotic when 11 people who we dont even know personally, win a world cup, just because they are from india..... However when its time to elect, country means for **** and ppl start voting for their caste..religion etc even if the guy is an ass who will f*** the country (ppl like Jagan or any congress leader for the matter), coz they dont believe in rest of indians who are not their caste religion etc... even if he is your childhood friend.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I'm proud of the fact that India's contribution to the world is zero.

LOL I thought you posted something sarcastically, I didn't realize till I quoted you for the reply. good one.

There are many contribution to the world by Indians in the past, but now they get noticed only when media makes a fuss of it. there is more shame in this country and things to be proud of. I would be proud only when every child gets a good meal, proper education and healthcare.

also don't directly quote politician's names for your own safety.

quicky008

Technomancer
Yes there is,provided of course you're a liar and a cheat and want to make a career in politics,then manifesting (fake) national pride will be your key to success-it is one of the most widely used techniques to get rich quick

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Its not about politics. The concept of a nation as a whole is something I find to be primitive. Without the nation, neither will the pride nor the politics associated with it exist.

Suppose if I find an uninhabited island (not under the jurisdiction of any country) with the highest yield of coconuts and establish my own country there along with a couple of people under me, name it Coconutopia and the people develop a pride for the highest yield of coconuts in the world. But it is still an arbitrary piece of land.

I believe that Humans, regardless of how developed we think we are, are still animals. And a country is a territorial instinct not unlike that as practiced by lesser animals. As enlightened and wise creatures, I believe that Humans need to be above petty things like politics. A country does exist as a cog in the machine of international politics.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Its not about politics. The concept of a nation as a whole is something I find to be primitive. Without the nation, neither will the pride nor the politics associated with it exist.

Suppose if I find an uninhabited island (not under the jurisdiction of any country) with the highest yield of coconuts and establish my own country there along with a couple of people under me, name it Coconutopia and the people develop a pride for the highest yield of coconuts in the world. But it is still an arbitrary piece of land.

I believe that Humans, regardless of how developed we think we are, are still animals. And a country is a territorial instinct not unlike that as practiced by lesser animals. As enlightened and wise creatures, I believe that Humans need to be above petty things like politics. A country does exist as a cog in the machine of international politics.

So what are you suggesting, merge all nations of the world into one big country or just to lose the fake sense of pride ?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What I mean to say is why be proud of a piece of land divided over political squabbling.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
"...the ideal man of India is not the magnanimous man of Greece or the valiant of Europe, but the free man of spirit, who has attained insight into the universal source by rigid discipline and practice of disinterested virtues, who has freed himself from the prejudices of his time and place. It is India's pride that she has clung fast to this ideal and produced in every generation and every part of the country, from the time of rsis of the Upanishads and Buddha to Ramakrishna and Gandhi, men who strove successfully to realize this ideal."
Dr S Radhakrishnan in Eastern Religion and Western Thought

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
"...the ideal man of India is not the magnanimous man of Greece or the valiant of Europe, but the free man of spirit, who has attained insight into the universal source by rigid discipline and practice of disinterested virtues, who has freed himself from the prejudices of his time and place. It is India's pride that she has clung fast to this ideal and produced in every generation and every part of the country, from the time of rsis of the Upanishads and Buddha to Ramakrishna and Gandhi, men who strove successfully to realize this ideal."
Dr S Radhakrishnan in Eastern Religion and Western Thought

But that observation is out of time and is the observation of one man. How much of this is valid among the men of today? No ones mind transcends beyond petty matters of bare survival and greed. All that everyone has is a false sense of pride as taught (indoctrinated/brainwashed) in our schools. How many people even know what to be proud of?

Edit :
It is India's pride

By India's pride, he obviously means the people, since a piece of land is pretty much incapable of feeling pride of any form. Look at the citizens of India today and tell if they even know what Mr. Radhakrishnan is talking about here. They will probably nod and agree with zero clue of what's going on.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Well , we contribute to the national pride . Don't we ?
Say, If we do something wrong , it'' hurt the pride of nation.If we do something right , it'll improve the pride of nation.
Now , the contribution made to it on a large scale may be very minute or small but still every one amongst is responsible for who we are .(Indian).
Consider the same stuff on a small scale basis , like a Team of Players.It'll make some sense.

Its a controversial topic , though and these are just my 2 cents . But IMO , it matters upto an Extent.

The way I see it, humans are just feeding into their own fabrications (like religion). National pride was created by humans and still exists because of humans. If humans become globalists (inevitable once we master space), this national pride will evolve into "Earth pride" or "global pride", so to speak.

Hell, when people are still proud about minor things like belonging to a certain community or about descending from a certain lineage, how far can National pride be?

I'm not against having pride for belonging to a certain country or anything. The thing is you're celebrating the achievements of your community and appreciating what your community has done in this world. And it isn't like you lose your own sense of identity and achievement when you celebrate the achievements of your country.

Think about it, why would fans of various sports teams be proud of what those teams achieve? They could just clap and congratulate those teams instead of actually celebrating with pride and joy.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Nope.jpg
Just like there are diff habitats or wildlife in national parks, the differences in humans is in need of conservation, it should be cultivated and celebrated. If they amalgamate into one, we will be no diff than a beehive or anthill. The danger of too much communication is that brains will tend to think the same thing, and get stuck there.
There are geographic countours that shape our existence across time, you can look beyond artificial boundries to the actual land and the kind of resources it offers to human consumption.
Historically is even now, not just then. Not fair and lovely but silk, ink, fruits, spices... That kind of stuff. Ionno mebbe Indians are more lactose tolerant than other countries? Paneer pride!

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Nope.jpg
Just like there are diff habitats or wildlife in national parks, the differences in humans is in need of conservation, it should be cultivated and celebrated. If they amalgamate into one, we will be no diff than a beehive or anthill. The danger of too much communication is that brains will tend to think the same thing, and get stuck there.
There are geographic countours that shape our existence across time, you can look beyond artificial boundries to the actual land and the kind of resources it offers to human consumption.
Historically is even now, not just then. Not fair and lovely but silk, ink, fruits, spices... That kind of stuff. Ionno mebbe Indians are more lactose tolerant than other countries? Paneer pride!

Well our sentient nature assures that in spite of amalgamation of national pride into global pride, our individual thought and expression will not go away.

Until a 1984-like negative utopia is fabricated, the hive mind will not happen.

I'm not a supporter of national pride or anything. I personally think that national pride can go to ****. But at the same time I don't see anything wrong in celebrating your group identity.

Lemme give you all a viewpoint from the north-east India..

Technically we are Indian, we fall under Indian territory because we were British territory in the 1800s and when the British left India, they gave us a choice to be part of India or be under British colony like Hong Kong, Australia, South Africa etc

We chose neither.. we said we will be independent. But Indian govt under Nehru had their own colonial plans.

The NNC secretary T. Sakhrie had expressed fears in his letter to Gandhi that the Indian government might use military force to occupy the Naga territory by force. Gandhi assured the Naga delegation that he would go to Kohima, and he would be "the first to shot before any Naga is killed".
-- source -->Samaddar, Ranabir (2004). The Politics of Dialogue: Living Under the Geopolitical Histories of War and Peace. Ashgate. pp. 171–173.
But Gandhiji got assasinated and Nehru and the Gang enslaved the region..

Long before Muammar Gaddafi bombed his own people, IAF fighters in March 1966 strafed and dropped incendiary bombs on Aizawl, now Mizoram's capital, to crush the Mizo insurgency.

The bombing, which marked the beginning of horrific atrocities committed by Indian armed forces, was never reported in the media and isn't acknowledged by New Delhi.

But the wounds still fester and Mizos are now demanding an apology.
Gaddafi in Mizoram: Aizawl Assault | Sinlung

FYI, my grandfather's backyard has a huge bomb crater which is now a small fish pond. Well actually the backyard was his original house, just that it was wiped out by bombs..
Before the bombing, there was Mass rape , torture,hanging,pure genocide etc by the Sikh Battalion in major villages. They raped women and children,small children, girls who didnt even reach puberty, in front of their parents.. Hitler was nothing compared to the atrocities Indian Armed Forces

Under these circumstances, the North east people were enslaved by the Indian Govt.
We are an ignored lot,by the entire country and i bet half of TDF members cant evenlocate 5 of the 7 north east states.

Our religion (Christianity) is different
Our culture is different
Our racial features are different
Our diet is different
Our mentality is different

Now i ask you guys--

Should i proudly recite the national anthem?
Should i say "I am proud to be Indian" ??
...and should i be criticized for not being India-patriotic?

Kindly reply.....

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
From my viewpoint, the patriotism that we have is conditioned into us from schools and if you do not show patriotism, you will be called a traitor or a pakistani or something equivalent, no one wants that. It is common that group mentality is very commonplace in India and people will tend to see what other people are following than question what they believe. Patriotism is something that they instill into soldiers so that they will give up their lives willingly.

Its sad to note the atrocities of the IAF. It is even sadder that no one in any other part of the country knows about this. You don't have to be patriotic, but since you are living in the Indian territory, you will have to follow the same rules whether you like them or not. You can choose to remain aloof from Indian celebrations, but they will brand you as anti-Indian and your people will be tormented even more in whichever part of the country you go. What can you do then?

I hear that the situation in the NE region is pretty volatile still, is it really?

Top Bottom