Is Nokia 5230 worth looking at?

PraKs

Youngling
guys 5233 and 5230 are same with the diff of 3g(gsm arena has single page for tboth of them) and about gps thing they both have gps reciever onboard with assisted gps support means u can use ur packet data or 3g internet to speed up th link time. internet connection is not required to retrive the location but it(internet) can assist.
hope i am very clear. any doubts plz post so that others can also share what they know.

I heard GPS will work on 5230 without GPRS, while 5233 needs GPRS for GPS ?

Is it true ?

Tamoghno

Padawan
^^ how cau be sure that it doesn't work without GPRS ? does it ask for GPRS access point when you try it . Please note that when you try GPS for very first time it can take really long time to get GPS fix . My 5800 took 12 mins to get GPS fix for first time (without agps).

MasterMinds

hell boy
I heard GPS will work on 5230 without GPRS, while 5233 needs GPRS for GPS ?

Is it true ?
no it cant be true.
if a phone has built in gps then it should work without gprs. it may ask for a gprs connection only for assisted operation. though not mandatory.
if any of u have 5233 then he can try. that will help us too.

It is true mate. 5233 Has only 2 options under the menu of Positioning methods, while 5230 has 4. i.e. :

For 5233 :

Positioning methods
-Bluetooth GPS (Which mean with an external bluetooth enabled GPS Device)
-Netwok based (Solely using the DATA Network)

While for 5230 :

Positioning methods
-A-GPS
-Satellite mode (or something like that)

Hope its clear now !

clintonjeff

Right off the assembly line
It is true mate. 5233 Has only 2 options under the menu of Positioning methods, while 5230 has 4. i.e. :

For 5233 :

Positioning methods

While for 5230 :

Positioning methods
-A-GPS
-Satellite mode (or something like that)

Hope its clear now !

Just wanted to clear something up :)

Network based "GPS" doesnt need any sort of Data transfer, it just uses the Network Cell Tower to give you a (very) approximate idea of where you are.

And that's what the 5233 has. Hence it's not very accurate, and cant be used for Navigation, but it will give you an idea of where you are.

A-GPS needs the device to connect to the Internet (via GPRS/Wifi/3G/whatever) to transfer data, to get a GPS Lock faster. If you choose not to allow it to connect, the device tries to find a lock using it's built-in GPS unit only, which can take a while.

The 5230 does have A-GPS which automatically means it has a Built-in GPS Unit too.

I was a bit confused about it too when I got my review unit in, but basically the 5233 doesnt have 3G or GPS built in, while the 5230 does.

ziha786

Journeyman
I got my Nokia 5233 and i really like the features like camera clarity and loud music on earphone...Touch is really nice its create a good experience for me..........
Large screen with good battery backup...Nokia 5233 has FM radio and 3.5mm audio jack....It has 70 MB internal memory and this phone support 16Gb M.card...
I think this is a best phone and suitable price...i got this on just Rs. 7750/- with 4Gb m card....

I just checking other features then i will get back for more information about this phone...

romikhan57

Broken In
@kelly

The 5233/5230 have average image quality at best. The camera unit is a 2MP NON Autofocus Unit and it does not have a flash.

You can expect fairly decent results in bright lighting conditions but under low light the images WILL be noisy.

I will try to have some camera samples up soon.

PraKs

Youngling
Just wanted to clear something up :)

Network based "GPS" doesnt need any sort of Data transfer, it just uses the Network Cell Tower to give you a (very) approximate idea of where you are.

And that's what the 5233 has. Hence it's not very accurate, and cant be used for Navigation, but it will give you an idea of where you are.

A-GPS needs the device to connect to the Internet (via GPRS/Wifi/3G/whatever) to transfer data, to get a GPS Lock faster. If you choose not to allow it to connect, the device tries to find a lock using it's built-in GPS unit only, which can take a while.

The 5230 does have A-GPS which automatically means it has a Built-in GPS Unit too.

I was a bit confused about it too when I got my review unit in, but basically the 5233 doesnt have 3G or GPS built in, while the 5230 does.

Does that mean 5233 GPS will work even when we dont have GPRS activated ?

Top Bottom