Is Nokia 5230 worth looking at?

mohitsuri50

Broken In
I came across this tv ad on nokia 5230. Looks quite similar to 5800. Price seems attractive.

I am planning to upgrade to a touch phone.. Was evaluating between 5230 and 5800.. Though 5800 is slightly off my budget. Here are my requirements.. Decent camera, good MP3 player, good storage for photos and songs...and basically something that is easy to operate. My budget is between 8-10.

has anyone tried out 5230? Please share your views.

digitalkrish

Broken In
@ mohitsuri

As per your requirements, 5230 is the phone for you.. It covers almost all the features of 5800.. I like the 3.2 inch resistive touchscreen, homescreen Contacts Bar and Media Bar feature, FM radio and microSD card slot ( upto 16 GB,)..
Camera is of 2MP which can record videos at 30fps which is more than enough for me..
N 1 thing more, it has got the 3.5mm audio jack into which i can plug in headphones of my choice..
Overall a good buy in the range 8-9k's..
*www.mobilestopic.com/images/mobile/nokia-5230-4.jpg

Cheers!

Tamoghno

Padawan
except for megapixel count both phone are almost same in hardware . and let me tell you 5800 camera is CRAP(i know coz i have one) so no real advantage in getting 5800.

5230 also have better software so my vote to 5230 .

OP
M

mohitsuri50

Broken In
@ mohitsuri

As per your requirements, 5230 is the phone for you.. It covers almost all the features of 5800.. I like the 3.2 inch resistive touchscreen, homescreen Contacts Bar and Media Bar feature, FM radio and microSD card slot ( upto 16 GB,)..
Camera is of 2MP which can record videos at 30fps which is more than enough for me..
N 1 thing more, it has got the 3.5mm audio jack into which i can plug in headphones of my choice..
Overall a good buy in the range 8-9k's..
*www.mobilestopic.com/images/mobile/nokia-5230-4.jpg

Cheers!

Is there QWERTY keyboard on 5230???

Tamoghno

Padawan
5800 has Autofocus
5230 has no AF

doesnt really matter . whats the point of taking sharp picture if it is going to be spoiled by crazy patches ( noise reduction/compressions ? ) . it still sucks . my 2mp 5700 without autofocus definitely took better pictures .

BTW , newer 5800s have visible different camera module , bigger lense , more shiny green coating lense , so these might be of better quality , but i am not really sure , can anyone confirm ?

roby_is_cool

Broken In
I came across this tv ad on nokia 5230. Looks quite similar to 5800. Price seems attractive.

I am planning to upgrade to a touch phone.. Was evaluating between 5230 and 5800.. Though 5800 is slightly off my budget. Here are my requirements.. Decent camera, good MP3 player, good storage for photos and songs...and basically something that is easy to operate. My budget is between 8-10.

has anyone tried out 5230? Please share your views.

yes it has got gps but do keep in mind that though it has 3g you can't make 3g video calls.. it's not been programmed for it.. it may or may not get activate in the upcoming firmwares..
you can look at nokia 5235, it's the same phone with all the same features and yes it allows 3g video calling and also it comes with ovi music subscription which is a really good thing.. enquire for 5235 and wait if it's not available, if you gotta choose between 5230 and 5235, the only diff is that of in looks, 5230 looks better than 5235 only because of that side lining.. else 5235 is damn superior than 5230..
my vote goes for Nokia 5235..

yes it has got gps but do keep in mind that though it has 3g you can't make 3g video calls.. it's not been programmed for it.. it may or may not get activate in the upcoming firmwares..
you can look at nokia 5235, it's the same phone with all the same features and yes it allows 3g video calling and also it comes with ovi music subscription which is a really good thing.. enquire for 5235 and wait if it's not available, if you gotta choose between 5230 and 5235, the only diff is that of in looks, 5230 looks better than 5235 only because of that side lining.. else 5235 is damn superior than 5230..
my vote goes for Nokia 5235..
I dont think i m getting the options of changing back covers with 5235, which is available in 5230.. Over all i dint find any difference in the looks of 5235 and 5230..
What is Ovi Music subscription with 5235?? Need more info on this..
What is the price difference?

sujoyp

Grand Master
@Tamoghno

I donno abt Older 5800 cam quality but it still is poor...Colors r not good at all

heavyarms

Broken In
5230 is good phone for the price tho not excellent.

Drawbacks : poor screen legibility in sunlight, 2mp cam is sad, pics browsing can take ages if lotta files are present, no Wi-fi

anil_tech

Broken In

Drawbacks : poor screen legibility in sunlight, 2mp cam is sad, pics browsing can take ages if lotta files are present, no Wi-fi

Yes you are right. But it is sufficent for many people who don't need those features.

JamesTryForYou

In the zone
Hey guys..what's the actual price of this set??? Today i asked from Univercell(hyderabad)..they told me it's 8.6k...

and i have doubts to clear..how does "pics browsing takes ages" when they share the same hardware(as learned from the websites)...and the screen legibility is same as 5800 i guess..as 5800 has the same issue as mentioned on GSMarena.com review...

Tamoghno

Padawan

>> i've not personally checked it , but if it uses same screen as 5800 then screen legibility is DAMN GOOD , provided you stay away from cheap screen protector. Nokia has always been excellent in this regard.

2>> 2mp camera is sad , true , but for the price point its ok. its still better than samsung touchscreen in comparable range. remember its cheapest touchscreen smartphone.

3>> it uses same hardware as 5800 . pics browsing is NOT slow . but if you're still worried , install rescoviewer . its faster than windows picture and fax viewer on P4 machine.no , i am not kidding.

4>> lack of wifi is a problem. i agree.

BIGGIE

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys..what's the actual price of this set??? Today i asked from Univercell(hyderabad)..they told me it's 8.6k...

and i have doubts to clear..how does "pics browsing takes ages" when they share the same hardware(as learned from the websites)...and the screen legibility is same as 5800 i guess..as 5800 has the same issue as mentioned on GSMarena.com review...

I am using 5230 and I dnt have any problems like "pics browsing takes 'ages' ".. It is working pretty OK for me.. Takes some time normally..

digitalkrish

Broken In

Its price range is impossible to give a user every available feature.. If u are getting all the features in 8-k's phone, why one will opt for N97 or N97 mini then??
Keeping in mind the price it still has got plenty nice features..

Top Bottom