Is my idle temp too high ?

dibya_kol

In the zone
hi all,
don't know is this the proper section to ask this question or not. I had installed cm hyper 212 evo couple of weeks back and i was busy for a few days so unable to monitor my cpu temp. But last night i noticed that my idle cpu temp at hardware monitor is arround 48-50c(i5-2500k running at stock not oced yet, even turbo is off). Then i ran prime95 for 15 min and temp is arround 60-65c.
Yes, i know it's summer and my room temp is arround 35c. So is the prob for high idle temp ? Or something else ?

Thanks in advance.

masterkd

Padawan
idle temp is little bit high but load temps are fine..it should have been lower with CM Hyper 212 EVO..you sure you applied the TIM properly!!
My idle temp with stock cooler is around 35-38c and load 60-65c!!

clmlbx

Technomancer
I don't know about i5 but I recently installed hyper 212 Evo and I noticed drastic changes in my temp. cpu(Athlon x4 635) temp is 29C at idle and 40 at full load running at stock and my room temperature is 38-40c now.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
My idle temp with i5-2500K and Hyper 212 Evo.
[gagan@omzoc ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0: +41.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 0: +39.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 1: +40.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 2: +38.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 3: +39.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)

Idle temp will always be a few degrees above ambient. In winter, the idle temp was around 24 in daytime and as low as 16 at late night/early morning.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still, 50°C is too high for idle.
dunno. Not really paranoid about temps as it is understandable because I live in Delhi - city temperature will start to cross 40 in a couple of days. He could try reseating + reTIMing, that would take a few degrees off. But he'll still be around 36-42 mark. Load shall remain pretty much same.

Graphic card is at 52.5.
radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +52.5°C

OP
dibya_kol

dibya_kol

In the zone
and fan is set as push config, if i set it as pull config, will that help a bit ?

and why core 1 temp is always high than others ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
and fan is set as push config, if i set it as pull config, will that help a bit ?

and why core 1 temp is always high than others ?

Temperature junctions are not exactly accurate. There is always a bit of error here and there. Plus, load is not evenly distributed across every core.

btw, I'm at 44 now and I don't really care because it is normal in summers.

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 0: +41.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 1: +42.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 2: +42.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
Core 3: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)

OP
dibya_kol

dibya_kol

In the zone
thank u guys for ur time and reply. Just one question left that is, should i set my fan as a pull config ? It is now set as push config.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Without AC, with hyper 212 evo, and in the present ambient, I've to say, the core temp you have posted is actually low. ;)

And, for heaven's shake don't run prime95 with the cooling config of yours during all the summer. It is obvious that that I'm likely to suggest you not to overclock the processor too. Enjoy overclocking during winter. :p

OP
dibya_kol

dibya_kol

In the zone
Without AC, with hyper 212 evo, and in the present ambient, I've to say, the core temp you have posted is actually low. ;)

And, for heaven's shake don't run prime95 with the cooling config of yours during all the summer. It is obvious that that I'm likely to suggest you not to overclock the processor too. Enjoy overclocking during winter. :p

lol .. thanks for ur suggestion .. :mrgreen: and it sounds true .. yes i am freezing here in kol now !!

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Mine idles around 42 Deg and goes to 64 Deg when Prime is run for long.

Gfx stays at around 45 Deg.

Ambient = 34 Deg Approx.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
With any kind of heatsink with one fan, push config is priority one IMO... The fan is pushing cool air through the fins of the heatsink and blowing it out of the other side. But this is just my opinion and logic...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about i5 but I recently installed hyper 212 Evo and I noticed drastic changes in my temp. cpu(Athlon x4 635) temp is 29C at idle and 40 at full load running at stock and my room temperature is 38-40c now.

with Athlon II X4 under hyper 212 I've never seen temps above 50c even when it was OCed at 3.5Ghz.

Idle temps with a aftermarket cooler should be around the mid-to-late 20s. Mine stays at 26-29 C at idle. And that too with the stock HSF.

nice temp for a dual core cpu.

Mine idles around 42 Deg and goes to 64 Deg when Prime is run for long.

Gfx stays at around 45 Deg.

Ambient = 34 Deg Approx.

my idle temp is around 35c and load temp is around 50c-52c ( gaming ) - have not ran a prime test .. will run it prime95 and post here.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
a retailer i know faced the same prob with a few 2700k SKU's he got them RMA'ed for his customers. IMO u should do the same.

Top Bottom