Is auto loading of a web page a Chrome only feature and Google patent?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Really? Have Google patented it that no other browser can use it? I am talking about that feature when you type the address the web page is already loading. It is a great feature tbh. But latelt Chrome is freezing whenever I am opening the Blog page of GSMArena, so thought about uninstalling and moved back to Firefox, but nope that feature isn't available.
So any thoughts on this? I don't like Chrome much, but only for this feature I might have stick with this!

Thanks in advance.

tkin

Back to school!!
Really? Have Google patented it that no other browser can use it? I am talking about that feature when you type the address the web page is already loading. It is a great feature tbh. But latelt Chrome is freezing whenever I am opening the Blog page of GSMArena, so thought about uninstalling and moved back to Firefox, but nope that feature isn't available.
So any thoughts on this? I don't like Chrome much, but only for this feature I might have stick with this!

Thanks in advance.
I don't think its a patented feature.

Flash

Lost in speed
Do you mean "Auto-suggestion". I don't think, its patented.
IE9 behaves in the same as chrome do.

Try CHROMIUM.

tkin

Back to school!!
Yeah. that, Google Instant, so it's only there in Chrome?
If you want google instant, opera has it, just type something in the search bar(right) and you'll get instant results.

Update: Sorry, you can do it from the address field as well:
*i.imgur.com/Yt9yIZh.jpg

Enable that check box and it will work like chrome. I don't use it.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
AJAX is not google only
so pages can update outside chrome
but chrome is very tuned to web apps in various ways, it is one of the few browsers to venture beyond sites and focus on applications
the things thatr anything only are not tech or patent limitations, hardly any one does not do something because of a patent restriction

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
try these:
*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/peers-instant-search/?src=search
*addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-instant-integration/?src=search

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Tried them already, nah, they just enabled auto suggestion!
And just to test things, I installed Opera and did what tkin said, and that won't do it either.

Searching for this feature for last one hour and no positive results yet. I think it's not available on any other browser but damn Chrome :(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you mean this feature:
*developers.google.com/chrome/whitepapers/prerender
if this is what you are looking for then i don't think it is such a great feature.in my opinion it is just a refined method of caching web pages.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I guess yes, that one.
After a lot of searching I see that Firefox also has this feature, it's called prefetching, which is accessible by entering about:config, but I turn it on or off doesn't make a difference!

PS: Here is a small of video of the feature I am talking about, hope it's clear enough to understand,

Last edited:
Top Bottom