Internet services in India and Egypt disrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

als2

Journeyman
Internet services in India and Egypt disrupted

MUMBAI (Reuters) - A breakdown in an international undersea cable network badly disrupted Internet links to India and Egypt on Wednesday.

Egypt's Telecommunications Ministry said a communications cable in the Mediterranean was cut, disrupting 70 percent of the country's Internet network.

The ministry said in a statement it was not known how the cable was cut but that services would probably take several days to return to normal.

India reported serious disruptions to its services and one Indian Internet service provider linked the problem to the Egyptian outage.

"There has been a cable cut on several cable systems in Alexandria, Egypt which has impacted internet connectivity in India," Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL), an internet service provider, said in a statement.

VSNL said its service had been "largely restored" by diverting to another cable.

India said it had lost more than half of its capacity.

"There has been a 50 to 60 percent cut in bandwidth," Rajesh Chharia, president of the Internet Service Providers' Association of India, told Reuters.

He told the Headlines Today news channel that a "degraded" service would be activated by Wednesday night, but full restoration will take 10 to 15 days.

Source::*in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-31677820080130

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Headlines Today say that almost 50% of net connection in india is down :oops: , im lucky my line is still up :D

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Ahh... I was hoping that BSNL was upgrading their lines. :lol: I didn't get over 22-23 KBps the whole day, but my line was better than many others in Chennai.

Things are back to normal - atleast my line is...

CINTEL ENTRINO

Loading . . . please d'nt
^^
yup... RS is down for me... :(
but amazingly my speeds havent gone down... :p
i think the access to sites whose servers are in europe will be extremely slow or cut off.

utsav

damn busy...
My two vsnl connections were very slow in the afternoon .around 20kbps but now its normal again

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Yeah that explains it why the sites are loading so slowly.
The ping times are horrible :(
Downloads speeds are unaffected though :D

praka123

left this forum longback
Very slow connection for me here in Kochi(n) from yesterday onwards. 8KBps to 50KBps fluctuating :x

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
oh ok , so this is the reason I m getting 1-3kbps for the last 30 hours. really frustrating. cant open mails . one thinkdigit forum page takes 3 minutes to load , really frustrating .

yesterday i was out for the whole day ..so cnt say anything. came back at 8 in the eve but no difference in speed. seems my line is nt down .....though i am using VSNL (TATA).

P.S. : my connection is 64 kbps snailband.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I have BSNL BB and in my case Internet speed was damn slow from the wednesday morning in West Bengal. I just got around 20 to 30 kBps instead of regular 220 kBps :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom