Intel planning to kill of enthusiast PCs?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Source : *semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/

According to this article, Intel is planning to release its future x86 CPUs with a design which requires OEM manufacturers to solder it directly into the board, directly killing the enthusiast segment. The only hope for the enthusiast segment is Intel's ARM lineup.

Truly sad :(

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Even the article states that its a possible rumor, but we wont know until we get a confirmation. But I wonder, if they do kill the x86 chips, will ARM be powerful enough to drive demanding enthusiast machines?

Besides, it will good to see AMD rise once again.

Theodre

In the zone
I hope the AMD will take that first place once again just like when i was buying my first desktop 6 years ago :-? That thing is still burning without any problems even now :)

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
I hope the AMD will take that first place once again just like when i was buying my first desktop 6 years ago :-? That thing is still burning without any problems even now :)

actually my intel and amd rig give almost same FPS in games..i fell so stupid at times :p

Hrishi

YEs , its not a rumour. Its true. Their next generation x86 CPUs will be sold , soldered to the MoBo.
Haven't you guys heard about their Broadwell architecture. ??? If not , then check them out.

Unfortunately its not. :)

But there is still a long way to go , before that.

p!e

Broken In
seems legit news
Another source : Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs | ZDNet

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
how is mobo markers affected? Is intel planning to make 100 million motherboard themselve? All i can see is processor will be fused directly into the motherboard or soldered. This can be done by motherboard vendors too if Intel ships them the fabricated die much like laptop makers.
If desktop vendors take charge, it'll be like shipping a completely fused PC with no room for any upgrade.

Hrishi

^Yes , I guess CPU will be fused onto Motherboard.Just like the way Intel Atom processors are available.
I think it will be similiar to what they did to ATOM. But Broadwell arc. processors will have comparatively higher processing power and smaller in size.

Additionaly this will not be the end of Desktop Computing. There are other processor lineup ("Skylake") which I believe will be open for various MoBos , but they will be available in only high-end models.

I think Broadwell will be based on Ball Grid Array(BGA) Technology.So , this definately has to be soldered to the MoBo.
Lower End/Portable devices featuring Intel processors might be based on SoC technology.
Though all this is just speculation , and Intel hasn't confirmed this info yet.
Future is SoC.!

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
how is mobo markers affected? Is intel planning to make 100 million motherboard themselve? All i can see is processor will be fused directly into the motherboard or soldered. This can be done by motherboard vendors too if Intel ships them the fabricated die much like laptop makers.
If desktop vendors take charge, it'll be like shipping a completely fused PC with no room for any upgrade.

The reason they are doing this is more profits. its cheaper to manufacture a SoC than individual processor and motherboards, so whereas the retail price / performance ratio will be same it will lead to maybe cheaper technology and much more robust devices ( heavy duty? ) .

As baba above said ( _/\_ baba ) SoC is the future, more intelligent devices and customization goes for a toss ( same thing happening everywhere like automobile industry )

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ok they are going to integrate the proccy right into the PCB saving cost and space. What about the GPU? Going to integrate AMD/Nvidia GPU right into the PCB too? or they think their GPU are topping the current charts. Whatever it is, things doesn't look really good. SoC is future but not so soon.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
But that's with the x86 processors. We still have hundreds of x64 processors running quite well, almost any kind of OS and applications.

Top Bottom