Intel planning to kill of enthusiast PCs?

Hrishi

Dude, even Sky Lake will not last too long. Read that article.

Well , chances are that after "SkyLake" and a few additional Architectures , the definition for CPU will change. In fact *, we will have alternative to silicon by then commercially.[Alternative to silicon is already in Intel's lab.]
W/ever it may be , but gradually smart and portable computing is taking over. The difference b/w Mainstream computer and portable gadgets is getting lesser day by day. In fact according to a stats revealed by Nvidia , the mobile GPU will surpass Console performance within an year or two.
All we need to care about is efficiency and portability defined well within budget. Only a small % of population are powerhouse addict.

As NoasArcAngel said , its all about profit.

ok they are going to integrate the proccy right into the PCB saving cost and space. What about the GPU? Going to integrate AMD/Nvidia GPU right into the PCB too? or they think their GPU are topping the current charts. Whatever it is, things doesn't look really good. SoC is future but not so soon.

That will also be power efficient. :)
Broadwell is targeted towards mobile computing mainly , I don't think they will really need extreme graphic performance.
Broadwell already has inbuilt GPU/IGP , (what AMD calls Fusion/APU).They will be powerful , I think.

Most probably their high-end models will come with Motherboards having slots for External/Dedicated GPUs.
Actually some sources cite that even SkyLake will also be based on BGA packaging. "Maybe Ivory Bridge/Haswell will be the last LGA package for next few years untill 2015".

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
ok they are going to integrate the proccy right into the PCB saving cost and space. What about the GPU? Going to integrate AMD/Nvidia GPU right into the PCB too? or they think their GPU are topping the current charts. Whatever it is, things doesn't look really good. SoC is future but not so soon.

give it 2 years, manufacturers are now moving towards mass production. They realize that being the fastest doesnt sell and definitely doesnt earn then $$ because of huge R&D. So why not create something which is mass produced that way prices come down, and competition is also happy because less $$ in R&D = keep on making fools of public. The outcome is that the consumer is the loser.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share_of_leading_PC_vendors ... just take a look at this stat, and most of these vendors supply to businesses and not computers for home use. In other words sales to corporates account for more than about 80% of total sales.

Still about 50% of the market is owned by people who source parts and build their own pc's. So the real question is why the difference?
a. price ( 90% people buy assembled computers because of price )
b. customization ( 10% buy so that they can have what they want )

So the companies say... hey why do we make branded computers so expensive? Just start selling SoC and that way the people assembling PC's are forced to go for standard options. And as a result the prices of the same branded computers come down (which offer some customization) .

A very big advantage of SoC will also be space utilization, because they are going to be built in the boards, you may see some different methods of arrangement . One thing which comes to my mind is a SoC with GPU as sam mentioned.

----------------------------------------- < this layer is the mobo + processor >
| | < connector PCI >
------------------[ ]-------------------- < GPU >

so the conventional method of arranging the GPU perpendicular to the motherboard may change.

Hrishi

give it 2 years, manufacturers are now moving towards mass production. They realize that being the fastest doesnt sell and definitely doesnt earn then $$ because of huge R&D. So why not create something which is mass produced that way prices come down, and competition is also happy because less $$ in R&D = keep on making fools of public. The outcome is that the consumer is the loser.

Market share of leading PC vendors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... just take a look at this stat, and most of these vendors supply to businesses and not computers for home use. In other words sales to corporates account for more than about 80% of total sales.

Still about 50% of the market is owned by people who source parts and build their own pc's. So the real question is why the difference?
a. price ( 90% people buy assembled computers because of price )
b. customization ( 10% buy so that they can have what they want )

So the companies say... hey why do we make branded computers so expensive? Just start selling SoC and that way the people assembling PC's are forced to go for standard options. And as a result the prices of the same branded computers come down (which offer some customization) .
This way , probably AMD's idea about stepping back in competing against high-end CPU's wasn't bad at all. Their "Fusion[Merging good CPU and IGP]" idea has definitely proved a good point concern with this approach.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
So you have a prebuilt unit by Dell, as thick as a laptop with a i7,8gb ram,gtx 660 + SSD

This way , probably AMD's idea about stepping back in competing against high-end CPU's wasn't bad at all. Their "Fusion[Merging good CPU and IGP]" idea has definitely proved a good point concern with this approach.

yes AMD definitely has the upper hand now, they will be able to mass produce low cost SoC's and at the same time also manufacture low cost standalone processors. I think they may been increasing production capacity ( secretly ).....

amjath

Human Spambot
Profit for MS and OEM and we need to sell our kidney to get a high end partial upgrade-able PC's. Intel is following what Apple's doing.
I remember reading Apple is going to bring its own processor on the macs :chinscratch:

Hrishi

So you have a prebuilt unit by Dell, as thick as a laptop with a i7,8gb ram,gtx 660 + SSD

yes AMD definitely has the upper hand now, they will be able to mass produce low cost SoC's and at the same time also manufacture low cost standalone processors. I think they may been increasing production capacity ( secretly ).....

But it will S**K a lot if anything goes wrong with either one of them.The biggest drawback of SoCs/BGAs/Bundled System is that They burn a hole if anything goes wrong.:p [Since you can replace parts individually].
"Customer ka toh popat ban jayega".
I still remember how HP had to change my netbook's entire Motherboard just because of one small fault in APU. Fortunately it was in warranty.:cool:

Profit for MS and OEM and we need to sell our kidney to get a high end partial upgrade-able PC's. Intel is following what Apple's doing.
I remember reading Apple is going to bring its own processor on the macs :chinscratch:

Soldering RAM wasn't enough for them.

amjath

Human Spambot
this ll make everyone happy

Intel sort of denies rumors about future CPUs being non-upgradeable

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Intel are digging their own grave if they are thinking of going socket less.

Most of the enthusiasts will move to AMD without a second thought.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Ah .. I recall those old days .. I have a 386 motherboard (AMD based Yes AMD 386) which has the processor directly soldered to the motherboard :p ill try to get a pic.. its all packed up and tucked away :lol:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
this ll make everyone happy

Intel sort of denies rumors about future CPUs being non-upgradeable

"...remains committed to the growing desktop enthusiast and channel markets, and will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the forseeable future..."

you know what this means? it means nothing. what if Intel announce that only Extreme Edition processors will be sold as LGA package? will you sell out 50k for just a processor and 20-25k for an X89 chipset based motherboard? Wherever Intel announces now, take it with a handful of salt.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
...for the forseeable future.

Not very comforting words. Intel should be more upfront, then again most likely and if they made their mind about BGA for low and high, maybe they're rethinking.

But newer OEM AIO systems will have BGA. So its a matter of time that it will slowly creep in DIY Market at some point.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
well......they are fueled the fanboys...so they can pull out any s*** like apple and there will be a large no of people who would buy it eyes closed just coz its Intel.
unless the fanboyism stops there is no way we can make them understand that this is enthusiast market..u dont mess with us...

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
So this means should buy Intel Core i7 990X Extreme Edition CPU Before it becomes out of stock...

Ah .. I recall those old days .. I have a 386 motherboard (AMD based Yes AMD 386) which has the processor directly soldered to the motherboard :p ill try to get a pic.. its all packed up and tucked away :lol:

Yes I still remember my Old Pentium with Fold Socket pins infested with algae which i throw ed away...

Top Bottom