Installing Windows 7 from a pen drive

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Here's a step by step guide to create a Windows 7 bootable USB drive.

Things needed : A pen drive (atleast 4 gigs), Windows 7 disc

- Attach the pendrive

- Run the command prompt (as Administrator)

- Type "diskpart"

This starts the diskpart utility and you will get the DISKPART> prompt

- Type "list disk"

This displays the list of all disks connected to your system

- Type "select disk <enter_disk_no_here>"

Replace <enter_disk_no_here> by the disk no. of your pendrive as shown in the list. Make sure it is the right disk by verifying its size and read its appropriate number as you might risk nuking your drives. Note that all data on the drive is lost so backup any important data on the drive before proceeding.

- Type "clean"

This will clean any partition off the drive. This means the drive is now kaput and we can proceed to make a new partition.

- Type "create partition primary"

Creates a new primary partition on the pen drive

-Type "active"

Marks the newly created partition as active

- Type "format fs=ntfs quick"

Performs a quick format of the partition into the NTFS file system.

- Type "assign"

Assigns a new drive-letter to the drive. Note this drive-letter. Lets say it is J:

- Type "exit"

Quit the diskpart utility and you are back to the command prompt. Make sure you run the command prompt as an Administrator if you have not already.

- Pop in your Windows 7 disc. Lets say its drive-letter is D:

- Type "d:"

- Type "cd boot"

- Type "bootsect /nt60 j:"

Installs a new bootsector in the pendrive. Note that the drive-letter j: is as assigned in the previous steps.

- Copy the entire contents of the Windows 7 disc to the root of the pen drive. i.e. from D:\ to J:\

Thats it, you can now use your pen drive to boot your system and install windows.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Ah.. There are far more simpler ways than this:

1) UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

2) Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

You can use any of the above tools and directly "burn" the Windows 7 ISO to your pendrive. Then you can boot using the pendrive.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This is how I do it. I don't rely in third party tools.

@shantanu, this is in my own words.

abhidev

Human Spambot
This is how I do it. I don't rely in third party tools.

@shantanu, this is in my own words.

surely its in your own words but u must hv read it somewhere....anyways nice....i hv tried this method and the os installation time reduces considerably....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Here's my source, which I referred while making my own bootable Windows 7 Pen Drive:
Install Windows 7 Or Windows 8 From USB Drive/Pen Drive

And it worked flawlessly. After I made the drive bootable, I just had to copy all installation files to the drive.
I can even use it like regular pen drive, by deleting the contents. But as soon as I copy the installation files again, it can be again used to install Win 7. Meaning, as long as you dont format the drive, it can anytime be used to create the bootable Win 7. Love it :)

abhidev

Human Spambot
reduces considerably with respect to what? Installation from DVD or installation using other mentioned softwares?

reduces in terms of time using usb......it takes less than half the time it would take while installing using a DVD...after all its a usb right?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Alright I read it somewhere online...but that was a long time back. Don't remember the source now.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Coomn guys instead of fidlling up with commnad prompt use official Windows 7 USBV/DVD tool available on microsoft windows store for free 3 clicks and you are all done
*www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...u0kCAv8TgfVXr8E9Q&sig2=NK_6wPoOhGSGlm3BUitoQw
iT CAN BURN BOTH windows 8 and 7 iso to the dvd/usb in 3 easy steps
Simple as pie!!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Like, that would be "fun"!
Huh! :D

But thanks anyway for that link to the tool.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Thanx to all for posting various sources for win7 usb installation will be handy for future...
bookmarked in TDF

Top Bottom