infra_red_dude causing heavy loss to the hardware industry !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Beware of the senior member - Mr. Anirudh (infra_red_dude) if you are a hardware dealer. He is advising people how to upgrade computers / laptops and to meet all their needs instead of buying / assembling a brand new PC. The Indian hardware dealers association is concerned over this issue and issued a red alert and sent him a threatening email. And infra_red_dude had to leave the country :( He is in the USA right now.

LOL, ok, jokes apart. Here is the incident which made me a great fan of infra_red_dude (already a fan of him, now I am rotating at even more speed :D). I had a chat with him over yahoo regarding one of my requirements - PC for my village home. I may go there, stay there for 2-3 months, then will come back, may go again like that. Not an every day traveling, and laptop alone was not a solution (as I wanted big screen). So I asked him which config will suit my requirement etc. Before that I mentioned him I am having an old (3 yr) laptop. Instead of suggesting new configuration he asked me about the laptop, its config etc. I was thinking like its too old, that will not be of much use etc, but gave him all details. Also told him it has about 3 hr battery backup and I have an APC universal battery for that laptop which will give it another 3 hr backup. He strongly recommended not to buy a new PC !! He told me I can go for an HDD (from 40 GB to 160 GB) upgrade and may be RAM (from 512 MB to 1.5 GB) if needed. He told me if I am not comfortable to work whole day looking at the small screen, I can connect an LCD monitor (which I already have). I was not convinced and told him, it may not support bigger screen / resolution / wide screen. Again, he checked the specifications of the laptop and told me it will work perfectly.

Finally I thought I will give it a try. I upgraded RAM and HDD (total Rs.5000) and tried connecting to my 17 inch (normal) LCD as well as 19 inch (wide screen) LCD. And to my surprise, it supported both and I am getting exactly (and more) what I wanted. So instead of spending about 25,000 or 30,000, I am pretty happy with this new arrangement. Like when I go to my village home, I can take this LCD monitor plus my laptop and I am sure that will work perfectly for all my needs.

End of the story lol.

Footnote / Morale of the story: If you think your PC or laptop is obsolete and really want a new one, get an expert advise form senior members like infra_red_dude. Some times that will make a big difference (also you can save money, buy some dress for your wife / GF and make them happy as well :D).

Last edited:

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I am thinking of converting my old PC into a server and starting a 'microdatacenter' at my home :D. I am also looking to get Ubuntu or open SUSE installed. Cool G5 is helping me out :)

I will seek his advice soon :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Is a warrant issued against infra_red_dude? :D .. I guess he ray away fearing heavy retaliation from the hardware vendors :D

:lol:

But seriously, I too am trying to get something done in that angle. I am trying to use my old TwinHead i486E laptop as a console for my desktop.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
@gx, and Just saved many bucks for din uncle :D . I am sure you wud also have given din a good suggestion, but i hope you appreciate the effort.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
:>..

din uncle,save all the money you can,din junior is gonna rip open all your treasure chests soon enough!(ask my dad if you dont believe me)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Didn't he suggest some Infra Red Dude Adaptor for wireless communications? :D

I am thinking of converting my old PC into a server and starting a 'microdatacenter' at my home :D. I am also looking to get Ubuntu or open SUSE installed. Cool G5 is helping me out :)
:!: Ubuntu opensuse server <= these words don't go well together.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Didn't he suggest some Infra Red Dude Adaptor for wireless communications? :D

:!: Ubuntu opensuse server <= these words don't go well together.
You mean my choice of distro is not appropriate? Please suggest one then! I am a linux noobie!

btw I need it for desktop as well!

:>..

din uncle,save all the money you can,din junior is gonna rip open all your treasure chests soon enough!(ask my dad if you dont believe me)
Yeah. I too used to be a spending fr33k from age 13 to age 15.5. But my dad is quite happy because I troubled him only for 2.5 years, and then, thanks to my (then) newly found hobby in internet and linux, and thanks to me seeing sense early, I never troubled him since and now+ HE is the person w+ho pesters me to buy things for myself.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You mean my choice of distro is not appropriate? Please suggest one then! I am a linux noobie!

btw I need it for desktop as well!
Both are fine for desktop usage, but if you try any server histronics with it you will be pulling your hair out. I would strongly suggest Debian or CentOS for servers depending on your choice.

iinfi

mekalodu
good story. you started it off like a action thriller, only to end in 20 lines.

Footnote / Morale of the story: If you think your PC or laptop is obsolete and really want a new one, get an expert advise form senior members like infra_red_dude. Some times that will make a big difference (also you can save money, buy some dress for your wife / GF and make them happy as well :D).

infra_red_dude can make your gf happy. so beware folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom