Indians living abroad-is it really worth it?

Is it really worth the trouble?

• Yes

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Not applicable/no comments

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nix

indians should stick to their own country. its better to be here rather than losing out on family life, social function et all.. you will really miss al this when you go there. + you can never feel comfortable there as you know that you dont belong to that place. the ppl always see you as talking away their jobs.. i will stay here.

amol48

Searching...
Firstly Good topic !!

Here's what I have to say:

* You should ask this to only those who have lived a life or atleast know someone there.
* Others can never give you the right answer
* The choice will depend on the individual and rather than going by the number of people saying yes or no, I think you should ask like minded people what they think of and consider their opinion.

In every case you can't count number of votes and take a decision. According to me, YES it's WORTH the EFFORTS (would like to replace your word 'trouble') you give in. This thing is totally dependent on what you want to do in your life ! Just like someone here listed +ves and -ves (I liked it) offsite and onsite work, similarly I listed the +ves and -ves for me and found that for me US would be a better option any day than India.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ GOT IT FWD AS A MAIL RECENTLY ...very true indeed------------->

ONE BEDROOM FLAT... WRITTEN BY AN INDIAN SOFTWARE ENGINEER..
-A Bitter Reality

As the dream of most parents I had acquired a degree in Soft ware Engineering and joined a company based in USA, the land of braves and opportunity.
When I arrived in the USA, it was as if a dream had come true.

Here at last I was in the place where I want to be. I decided I would be staying in this country for about Five years in which time I would have earned enough money to settle down in India.
My father was a government employee and after his retirement, the only asset he could acquire was a decent one bedroom flat.
I wanted to do some thing more than him. I started feeling homesick and lonely as the time passed. I used to call home and speak to my parents every week using cheap international phone cards. Two years passed, two years of Burgers at McDonald's and pizzas and discos and 2 years watching the foreign exchange rate getting happy whenever the Rupee value went down.
Finally I decided to get married. Told my parents that I have only 10 days of holidays and everything must be done within these 10 days. I got my ticket booked in the cheapest flight. Was jubilant and was actually enjoying hopping for gifts for all my friends back home. If I miss anyone then there will be talks. After reaching home I spent home one week going through all the photographs of girls and as the time was getting shorter I was forced to select one candidate.
In-laws told me, to my surprise, that I would have to get married in 2-3 days, as I will not get anymore holidays. After the marriage, it was time to return to USA , after giving some money to my parents and telling the neighbors to look after them, we returned to USA .
My wife enjoyed this country for about two months and then she started feeling lonely. The frequency of calling India increased to twice in a week sometimes 3 times a week. Our savings started diminishing. After two more years we started to have kids. Two lovely kids, a boy and a girl, were gifted to us by the almighty. Every time I spoke to my parents, they asked me to come to India so that they can see their grand-children.
Every year I decide to go to India .. But part work part monetary conditions prevented it. Years went by and visiting India was a distant dream. Then suddenly one day I got a message that my parents were seriously sick. I tried but I couldn't get any holidays and thus could not go to India.. The next message I got was my parents had passed away and as there was no one to do the last rights the society members had done whatever they could. I was depressed. My parents had passed away without seeing their grand children.
After couple more years passed away, much to my children's dislike and my wife's joy we returned to India to settle down. I started to look for a suitable property, but to my dismay my savings were short and the property prices had gone up during all these years. I had to return to the USA..
My wife refused to come back with me and my children refused to stay in India.. My 2 children and I returned to USA after promising my wife I would be back for good after two years.
Time passed by, my daughter decided to get married to an American and my son was happy living in USA... I decided that had enough and wound-up every thing and returned to India. I had just enough money to buy a decent 02 bedroom flat in a well-developed locality.
Now I am 60 years old and the only time I go out of the flat is for the routine visit to the nearby temple. My faithful wife has also left me and gone to the holy abode.
Sometimes I wondered was it worth all this? My father, even after staying in India, had a house to his name and I too have the same nothing more.
I lost my parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM.
Looking out from the window I see a lot of children dancing.
This damned cable TV has spoiled our new generation and these children are losing their values and culture because of it. I get occasional cards from my children asking I am alright. Well at least they remember me.
Now perhaps after I die it will be the neighbors again who will be performing my last rights, God Bless them. But the question still remains 'was all this worth it?'
I am still searching for an answer...... ......... .!!!

... WRITTEN BY AN INDIAN SOFTWARE ENGINEER..-
A Bitter Reality

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
That post is sad.....and very hard on the eyes :(. Why does everyone post the whole topic in bold and red, blue , flashing neon colors :(.

As I said in the beginning

PS: Earning and saving that much money to come back home and enjoy isn't really smart. Cause you waste ALOT of your time earning it and you'll be too old to enjoy it anyway.

The letter is a standard story of People going and settling in US. If I got a Rs.1 for each time I heard a simlair story I'd probably had enough money to get me a new laptop.

oh boy that mail is sad but i am not affected muhahaha.i dont want dollar all i am happy with my current Dirhams

Not to burst your bubble. But most likely you will . Not now probably after a few years or when you grow old.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Story of film Namesake

+1...I too have seen the film. Has some similarities with Irfan Khan's character.

For a $1000 apartment you better be getting free amenities :x like heat , electricity and water cause that sounds like alot of money . For $800 we were living in an apartment in Philly with the above free. Anyway leave that as it is . I guess it might be higher in Metro's. Remember this if you plan to stay long term. Rent is sunken money. You gain no benefit from it. The best option is always to buy a house. (Yes I know you're screaming bloody murder by now, but it really isnt that hard tog et a house in US). I'm guessing you went and bought a new car? When you are new to US and you buy a car on installment your credit rating is taken into account for and the interest is calculated accordingly. Thus you end up paying alot more than you should. The same is the case for car insurance usually. If you haven't been driving in US for a long time or a kid you're insurance rates will be atrocious. I tell my friends always to get a used car for a few years and then get a new car only. Hence saving you the money on Insurance and the car.

There are certain things you need to understand. If you are living in a remote area then city taxes don't apply. You might not have frequent rides to work . But the point is you DO have rides. Just not as frequent as YOU would like them to be. You can't have everything all at once. When you make a house taking decision you need to first prioritize what you need and then take a house accordingly. I'm sorry to say that if you are paying 1k $ for a house in some remote hick town then you've made a HUGE error.

Well, I was speaking about rent in metropolitan cities. For me it is around $550 per month including gas, heat and electricity.

Last edited:

amol48

Searching...
^^ GOT IT FWD AS A MAIL RECENTLY ...very true indeed------------->

This is very common forwarded mail an even I received it way back. I don't see a SINGLE reason to think twice after reading that mail. I know perhaps more working people in US than in India in IT sector(since it's in your mail) and hence can surely say that only a fool or mis-managed person will face the situation as mentioned in your mail.
Also, I stated in my post and I would like to remind you that ONCE again that I am not saying that US is good for everyone, but to only those who prefer its positive points more than its negative ones which apply to them !!! I hope this clears your confusion !!

Offtopic:
@ exx_2000
Your siggy says: "Join the Revolution! Format c: !" well for me it's no revolution. It's like weekly task more :D

Last edited:

ancientrites

In the zone
exx_2000 wrote Not to burst your bubble. But most likely you will . Not now probably after a few years or when you grow old.[/quote]

Gulf is different from USA.When i say Dubai its SPECIAL.Every thursday i call my parents every 6 months i get vacation allowance,retirement benefits,free transportation,Free accomodation(sharing room)the only expense is incurred on food and personal expense.Life in dubai rocks and goes on.

amol48

Searching...
exx_2000 wrote Not to burst your bubble. But most likely you will . Not now probably after a few years or when you grow old.

But I didn't say anything to exx_2000 buddy ???!!!

@esumitkumar
I remembered the original name of this email forward. It's "Was it worth" and not "One Bedroom Flat" It's about 3 years old I think when I first read it.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Gulf is different from USA.When i say Dubai its SPECIAL.Every thursday i call my parents every 6 months i get vacation allowance,retirement benefits,free transportation,Free accomodation(sharing room)the only expense is incurred on food and personal expense.Life in dubai rocks and goes on.

Ive been to Dubai and worked there. You can get all the benefits mentioned above other than the Taxes part (Gulf countries follow Islamic banking rules AFAIR) in USA. As I said there are certain tradeoffs you have to make. Ever heard of the saying "Home is where the Heart is." You might enjoy Dubai and I hope you enjoy it for your entire stay there, but Im thinking that a majority of people India who grew up here would prefer to stay at home if they had the chance to earn a decent living and also has experienced life in a country like US. (I'm one of them)

But I didn't say anything to exx_2000 buddy ???!!!
His quote tags got screwed up. he wasn't refering to you so dont worry :) .

Off topic:
Your siggy says: "Join the Revolution! Format c: !" well for me it's no revolution. It's like weekly task more

Lol I have to change that. I just can't think of a good one I guess :D .

int86

You'r Born Free
Might be offtopic:

Consider people working away from home for 1k -2k domestically. Yes you read it right there are plenty. Here we have much know how than them and consider world to be small, but for them India is a vast piece of land. For them visting home means spending around Rs 400 is same as for you spending 1000$

And they are very much in number than working visa holders. They also suffer homesickness and feel miserable at money power.
So problem is vast.
I dont know what i actually wanted to say.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
I would like to see responses from peeps in countries other than USA\UK\Gulf,like in europe.

IMO going to USA is not worth it.Just my gut feeling ;).I dont like stupid racist people.

Heck I can't even manage a few days from my home_sweet_home,I went to some city in maharashtra(name withheld) for an interview and I was thinking all the time "how will I survive here?" different people,different cuisine,language was a barrier too(most people cudn't understand hindi or english or maybe they were just neglecting me).And then I saw the most amazing scene of my life which I will never forget,two people selling POT(marijuana) right at the back wall of police station.:).

slightly OT but I think in the end it doesn't matter(to you) how much you earn or what other people think about you but your little joys of life that you missed.You actually earn all those $$$ for your spouse(sometimes) and kids,but you usually end up ruining your own life.Now it all boils down if you want to make that sacrifice or not.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
First of all thanks to Vish786 for pointing out this thread to me.
IMO going to USA is not worth it.Just my gut feeling ;).I dont like stupid racist people.
Not a good statement from you. How could you say that without ever going there? My 7 months of experience in US has been awesome. People are very friendly, polite. And tell me where on earth don't you see racism? Racism can be seen in India too. Open your eyes and know the world. Sorry, if I hurt you. But such words are not good to be said anytime, anywhere. I never expected people in US to be so good. I have never faced nor seen racism here. Those are all things of past. Indian's are respected here equally. It all comes down to "person's character" and not what work one does here nor where he/she is from. This applies to both professional field and common life.

Now coming to the thread subject....

Yes. It is worth it. :) Money is one of the factor but not the prime factor. "Quality" work is one of the main reason. It may sound too good. But that's the case. In my 6 years of work experience, I have never done quality work in India as I have done here in 7 months. When I say "Quality", it's knowledge+work. That's the main reason people will get highly paid when he/she returns to India. Are companies in India fools to do so? The main reason is knowledge and experience. So knowledge and money comes together here. And that's the main reason for coming to US. if anyone is interested, I can go in detail about what the heck "Quality" work I am referring to. Ofcourse one important thing to keep in mind before accepting offer to US is first know "Which company you are going to work in?". That makes a hell lot of difference to your life.

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^^^you cannot deny the fact that USA is one of the racist countries in the world(India being right at the top,we are born racists).I have no personal experience as you but reading from various news and articles in newspapers,people do face racism quite often there and it can be really a mentally breaking situation when you have no one to 'talk' to.

And you really don't have to 'go' everywhere to 'know' about it.;).Just my two cents though and I may even end up in there if I get a good opportunity,:D.

anyways do we have people from other countries?faraaz?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I seen real life examples of Guys of my age going to US just after Graduation and turning into wannable US Culture inhumans and What they see their parents is a Place where you send a Money Order each month and then forget about them.

It isnt exactly a cool deal. Family Life and having the feeling of being cared / loved and vice versa with dear ones is much more valuable than Extra $$ in bank account.

And Blind truth is Once a guy get used to US life Style it is almost mission impossible for him to get back and settle in India again and IMPOSSIBLE for his US born children to get suited in Indian Way of life if he decided a bit too late to get back home.

India also has good jobs and almost everything that abroad can give it. THe Exchange rates may look pretty but they are isnt worth the cost you pay for it.

People is Middle East have altogether different story though. These people have to compromise a lot in that envirment and really want to get back as soon as possible. Most guys return back in 3-5 years time. I have seen hardly any one settled there with family. But again whether the COST paid to get the Dinars worth solely depends on the mindset of the guy.

amitava82

MMO Addict
^^^^you cannot deny the fact that USA is one of the racist countries in the world(India being right at the top,we are born racists).I have no personal experience as you but reading from various news and articles in newspapers,people do face racism quite often there and it can be really a mentally breaking situation when you have no one to 'talk' to.

And you really don't have to 'go' everywhere to 'know' about it.;).Just my two cents though and I may even end up in there if I get a good opportunity,:D.

anyways do we have people from other countries?faraaz?
I'm sure when you come to US, you will change your opinion. Don't just reach to conclusion by your "gut feelings" and some "news articles". I say Americans are most polite and friendly people I have come across. You need to experience it to believe it.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^nice to hear it,looks like I'll have to go to this amazing country atleast once.But I wonder why newspaper people keep bashing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom