Indians living abroad-is it really worth it?

Is it really worth the trouble?

• Yes

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Not applicable/no comments

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Racism can be seen in India too.

True. But not ot the extent of as much as I have seen in US. Personally I've never faced rascism at my worlplace. I guess I worked with more nice people. However outside of the workplace its a different story. After WTC ever try driving alone on the NJ TurnPike? Might be a bit of an exxaggeration. But still I have had experiences which would prove otherwise. Were any of you there when the WTC incident occured? How about a month later? However I don't blame them ... that was the most atrocious piece of terrorism I've personally seen.

I say "Quality", it's knowledge+work. That's the main reason people will get highly paid when he/she returns to India. Are companies in India fools to do so? The main reason is knowledge and experience. So knowledge and money comes together here. And that's the main reason for coming to US. if anyone is interested, I can go in detail about what the heck "Quality" work I am referring to. Ofcourse one important thing to keep in mind before accepting offer to US is first know "Which company you are going to work in?". That makes a hell lot of difference to your life.

Quality of work would be subjective. As a matter of fact this whole topic would be as well. Didn't the week or Business World run a story on the Quality of Work in the IT Industries soem time ago. I was rather suprised by the facilities provided for employees. Now as far as knowledge , I'll give you this point to a certain extent. However I must say that if you're working in a team then your knowledge is improved based on the quality of your team rather than anything based Geographical location of your work.

And Blind truth is Once a guy get used to US life Style it is almost mission impossible for him to get back and settle in India again and IMPOSSIBLE for his US born children to get suited in Indian Way of life if he decided a bit too late to get back home.

Pure myth. One of the oldest also I must say. People tend to convince themselves that they can't leave. The truth is rather they choose not cause of some age old belief that they are much better off there in the US or where ever than back at home.

But then again , there are cases where people have to go for the better good :) . I'm not here to try to convince them otherwise. All Im trying to convey that if you somehow think that working in US is an oasis or somethign. Then seriously you need to have a reality check.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
And Blind truth is Once a guy get used to US life Style it is almost mission impossible for him to get back and settle in India again and IMPOSSIBLE for his US born children to get suited in Indian Way of life if he decided a bit too late to get back home.
^^ +1 .....my cousin who has settled in US for the past 15 yrs has 2 kids ..the elder one cant speak hindi :( despite all the attempts by him to teach ..when the child interacted with me ..he was speaking english like an american :D ..he is only 8 yr old ....

amol48

Searching...
I seen real life examples of Guys of my age going to US just after Graduation and turning into wannable US Culture inhumans and What they see their parents is a Place where you send a Money Order each month and then forget about them.

This is totally UNTRUE. It doesn't depend whether one goes to US or any other country or is working in INDIA. It's all dependent on person's character.

^^ +1 .....my cousin who has settled in US for the past 15 yrs has 2 kids ..the elder one cant speak hindi :( despite all the attempts by him to teach ..when the child interacted with me ..he was speaking english like an american :D ..he is only 8 yr old ....

What's the problem with it then yaar if his accent is English ?? That's obvious. How does it affect to you I don't know !!

NucleusKore

TheSaint

And what will he do speaking Hindi or any Indian language in the U.S. ? Nothing will come of it.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
What's the problem with it then yaar if his accent is English ?? That's obvious. How does it affect to you I don't know !!

And what will he do speaking Hindi or any Indian language in the U.S. ? Nothing will come of it.

Well in the short run absolutely nothing. In the long run though you've just annihilated your family from your own home country. Your kids won't come back not because of the language but because they prefer to stay in US. The scenario continues and ultimately Ill reach where I said above but due to my own personal preferences I'd prefer not to go there fearing that the people outside of India in this forum think I'm somone trying to scare the living lights out of them

amol48

Searching...
Well in the short run absolutely nothing. In the long run though you've just annihilated your family from your own home country. Your kids won't come back not because of the language but because they prefer to stay in US. The scenario continues and ultimately Ill reach where I said above but due to my own personal preferences I'd prefer not to go there fearing that the people outside of India in this forum think I'm somone trying to scare the living lights out of them

Ok I have moved on to US or any other country and now no one here in India knows me and this is what you fear, right ? But tell me what's the use or problem if no one here knows me. I don't have to do anything with it coz people where I live know know me. That's it and that's what I want!! You only want the people to know you where you live. This IS necessary. The second thing is NOT mandatory, it's just good if wherever you go people know you but sure not mandatory. !!??
Your are annihilated from India is what you say. Yes that's right. But I make my new identity there in my new country. So that comes out to be equal !! Where's the problem bro ?

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit

^^++1 ...

his english accent doesnt affect me ..what affects me ..is he doesnt know a word of hindi despite indian parents n his younger bro also knows hindi

NucleusKore

TheSaint
his english accent doesnt affect me ..what affects me ..is he doesnt know a word of hindi despite indian parents n his younger bro also knows hindi

So what? Isn't he an American citizen? If he is an American I think his allegiance is very clear. In India we are so obsessed with caste, language, region, etc. Like the others are "DIFFERENT". I do hope we one day become like the U.S., and all these differences simply meltdown and cease to exist.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ok I have moved on to US or any other country and now no one here in India knows me and this is what you fear, right ? But tell me what's the use or problem if no one here knows me. I don't have to do anything with it coz people where I live know know me. That's it and that's what I want!! You only want the people to know you where you live. This IS necessary. The second thing is NOT mandatory, it's just good if wherever you go people know you but sure not mandatory. !!??

Know you??? Its not a matter of having new friends or being popular in the crowd. Its a matter of tradition or legacy continuing on. On the contrary theres not many people who probably care for this nowadays. What youve mentioned above is a short term consequence. The Long term consequence is that your family basically ends back at home cause you dont exist there.

Your are annihilated from India is what you say. Yes that's right. But I make my new identity there in my new country. So that comes out to be equal !! Where's the problem bro ?

I will say this loud and clear. No matter how hard you try and how well you adapt to the environment there you will never be considered equal or feel equal. You might eventually convince yourself that hell I feel great. But the saying stands "Home is where the heart is."

vish786

"The Gentleman"
But that's the case. In my 6 years of work experience, I have never done quality work in India as I have done here in 7 months. When I say "Quality", it's knowledge+work. That's the main reason people will get highly paid when he/she returns to India. Are companies in India fools to do so? The main reason is knowledge and experience. So knowledge and money comes together here. And that's the main reason for coming to US. if anyone is interested, I can go in detail about what the heck "Quality" work I am referring to. Ofcourse one important thing to keep in mind before accepting offer to US is first know "Which company you are going to work in?". That makes a hell lot of difference to your life.

you never had a Quality work in india :confused: whats that suppose to mean, and you receive a better one as soon as you drop in US ?

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
NRI = Not Required for India? :confused: :))
+100000~~~ :))

and talkin abt english accent--one of my cousins lives in germany.he does not know english and i don't know german :p .this s*cks.the worst part-he came to india to my place :lol::lol::lol:
more worse-we went trekking.. :lol:
it was like meeting a human primitive..now he might have decided to learn english before he comes back. :))

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
NRI = Not Required for India? :confused: :))
excuse me???
be careful with your words!

before making such assaults at someone's sentiments, think about one good thing you have done for our country. which makes you "so required"

think about it!!

when u leave your home does that mean you dont need a home or your family dont need you??

if you still think we are "not required" dont ever, EVER! feel proud reading about indians like mittal, sabeer bhatia, bobby jindal, and many many more!!

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Please comment on the "quality" work you mentioned....thanks..:)

you never had a Quality work in india :confused: whats that suppose to mean, and you receive a better one as soon as you drop in US ?

Yes indeed. US has technology and India has youth. And quality work is subjective - doesn't mean that whom-so-ever goes to US will get quality work to do. I am not sure about software field, but I can tell about my area of work i.e. Design of automobiles using CAD Software. India's automobile industry is developing. Most of our major manufacturer's like Tata, Mahindra need technology for rapid progress. Hence you are seeing major overseas takeovers. US or especially Michigan state is a automobile hub. They have quality manufacturer's like GM, Ford and other brands. And invasion of Japanese manufacturer's like Honda, Toyota have further increased the automobile market in US. And working in such major companies is nothing but the highest quality work one can do and learn. The method of manufacturing Cars and SUV's in highest possible fit, finish and efficiency is tricky. Those are all the things to learn from these manufacturers.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
before making such assaults at someone's sentiments, think about one good thing you have done for our country. which makes you "so required"
I pay all my taxes here in India Only ..

when u leave your home does that mean you dont need a home or your family dont need you??

well.. if one has decided to leave for other country then he knows all the risk involved.

if you still think we are "not required" dont ever, EVER! feel proud reading about indians like mittal, sabeer bhatia, bobby jindal, and many many more!!

I dont feel anything about those guys.. I feel proud when a young boys and girls come up with innovative inventions in small villages here, to over come their difficult lives with limited resources.If given chance I would go and teach in villages kids rather than go to some other country.

amol48

Searching...
I will say this loud and clear. No matter how hard you try and how well you adapt to the environment there you will never be considered equal or feel equal. You might eventually convince yourself that hell I feel great. But the saying stands "Home is where the heart is."

That's what I am saying "Home is where the heart is" and my home would be there now not in India !! Moreover, what equality are you talking of in INDIA that too ! I am sorry to say but we are among MOST RACIST country in the world !!

This is not at ALL great done by you which makes you 'required' by INDIA. Being an indian citizen it is your responsibility and duty. Tell us something that you have did beyond your 'normal' duties and responsibilities !!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
This is not at ALL great done by you which makes you 'required' by INDIA. Being an indian citizen it is your responsibility and duty. Tell us something that you have did beyond your 'normal' duties and responsibilities !!

let me know your then I will tell mine .

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5

well.. if one has decided to leave for other country then he knows all the risk involved.

I dont feel anything about those guys.. I feel proud when a young boys and girls come up with innovative inventions in small villages here, to over come their difficult lives with limited resources.If given chance I would go and teach in villages kids rather than go to some other country.

so u pay taxes, congrats! and thank you! but let me ask you one thing.. is it realy your choice to pay taxes?? LoL

and do you know the email you are using right now(esp hotmail), was developed by a NRI u dont feel about much??

i appreciate your choice of teaching village people, it's your choice. but you should NEVER QUESTION SOMEONE'S FAITH and EMOTIONS!!

first try to know what circumstances we are into, get a slight idea what happens when you have to make a choice between the two most important things in your life!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom