Indian private hospitals 'treat patients as revenue generators'

Flash

Lost in speed
  • What has long been murmured in private has now come out in public - India's private healthcare sector largely treats patients as mere "revenue generators", according to a study that reveals shocking testimonies of corruption.

• Kickbacks for referrals included an example from a general practitioner in Maharashtra, who said that doctors get Rs 30,000-40,000 for referring patients for angioplasty.

• One example was gynaecologists performing ultrasounds without indications in pregnant women who complain of trivial abdominal pain, then fabricating false reports of cervical abnormalities and advising the women to have cervical stitches, with the pretext of preventing miscarriage.

• Another example given by a pathologist was referred to as the "sink test".The referring doctor advises a battery of laboratory tests despite no suspicion of pathology. Only a few of the tests are performed, and the extra blood collected is dumped in the sink.Fabricated results are then given in the normal range for all tests that were not performed.

• These interviews underscore one fact - paying money does not guarantee good healthcare.The study appeared in The BMJ (formerly The British Medical Journal).

Source: Indian private hospitals 'treat patients as revenue generators' | Zee News

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
This is a sad truth. People who get treatment under ESIC (Employee's State Insurance Corporation) scheme are charged way too much by the hospitals given that the government is paying/reimbursing for it. :mad:

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
IIRC, atleast the 'sink test' was referred to in some Bollywood movie, where a character who was prescribed several battery of tests, was suggested by another to first consult 1-2 more doctors, as it would've been detrimental to blindly believe the doc's prescription and possibly rid himself of his money for nothing quickly! a fraud going on from a long time. and this same ilk slyly accuses even rather scrupulous, non-glamorous practitioners benefiting general populace in a non-mercenary manner, of esp. other forms of healing & medicine, of 'probable quackery & malpractice'! bloody scoundrels, can't digest the fact that dedicated people can still help others heal without prostrating themselves before 'kanchan'! these pests are several steps ahead of even actual quacks! i don't understand why this country cannot and would not instill the fear of death in such mercenary-docs, food adulterers and the whole wide spectrum of scum!

some time back, a man going to his office in morning riding a bike at Borivali was hit by a lorry or something. some passers-by took him to a nearby hospital. there, they found themselves to be short of the admission-fee by a couple of thousands. even then, the bloody blood-sucking docs refused admission to the injured man, demanding full payment upfront! those strangers who had brought him to the hospital, they said "we watched him die in front of us then and there itself." first of all some people tried to help a total stranger who got injured in a road-accident, which in itself is a feat worth commending, and then THIS happens! thankfully, the registration of that rotten hospital and i think even the licenses of the $h!tbag docs were cancelled! but i would've been very happy had the relatives of the person stormed the hospital and took the docs to task! don't know if that happened later really or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

amid such negative vibes, there's one strong dose of positivity to be found in a gentleman at Jaipur. can't recall his name. he runs a small hospital from his own money, buys beds, bedding, etc., from his own savings, does a near-perfect job of maintaining each and everything and inspecting them daily, treats poor patients for heavy concessions or for free. needless to say, the locals are absolutely happy and find him to be a Godsend relief!

also reminds me of a doc/surgeon who works and stays at Baba Amte's aashram (if am not wrong), treats the tribals, and takes Rs. 2/- as his emoluments!

Last edited:

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
It has been like this always "you scratch my back i will scratch yours"
I know Doctors who would not look in to non recommended lab results.Most of the times its a favour thing ,but there are instances where findings contradicts the soon to be made diagnosis.
Mm...thats why lab people ask "what happened"
"fever"
"Um ok" :rolleyes:
IMA had already asked to cut down on unnecessary tests.
So three things:
1.The Doctor is not fully capable of making a diagnosis through physical examination ,when there is no need for a radiological finding.
2.Unethical Practices.
3.Substandard Labs/Imaging

$hadow

Geek in making
Health, education and defense are the main area of working of the govt but they hardly do anything for it. It has been going on for the longest of time and yet no due interest has been seen.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
WRT defence, defence experts are seeing a marked difference in atleast 'interest' of the present govt. as against the previous one, whom they had/have accused of paying a mere lip service since years. check the discussion-show 'Modi's Defence Strategy' of LSTV if its available online. but anyway, that's a different topic.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Bodily components discarded out of Sink-test, even possess a great danger to the environment.

I have a friend who worked in Pharmaceutical billing company. He told of many incidents, which he seen in his line of work. For example, a medical representative (of a particular company/one or more) will try to please doctor in whatever manner possible, in order to make him prescribe his company drug to the patients. The bribe ranges from mere rupees to merchandise items to costly gifts to even girls. :/

Only few doctors get the actual demo from the medical rep regarding the drug, its actions, analyse and then recommend to the patients. The other half, just go for the gifts and prescribe it - even the drug is of low grade.

Top Bottom