IEM for around INR 2000.

z3rO

Journeyman
I'm looking forward to get a decent sounding IEM in a budget of 2k. Can extend upto 2.2-2.3k

I'll be primarily using it with my cell phone or laptop.

Primary usage : Listening to music. Alternative rock, metal, pop, etc. I like bass in IEM but not to the extent where is gets muddy. In the same way, I like the treble kinda smoothed out (neither too harsh nor faint).

I'm currently using Sony MDR-XB30EX and I'm looking for an upgrade to there IEMs. Recently I bought Xiaomi Pistons v2.1 but I wasn't impressed by their sound quality. So I'm thinking to get an upgrade. I have Soundmagic E10 in my mind from a long time. I was waiting for Soundmagic to release E10S but after seeing them I changed my mind because of the bulky L shaped connector with switch.

I have used these earphones in the past - ES18, EM1, XB30EX and Pistons v2.1
I got a chance to use E10 for a few days and I felt that it sounded better than any of the above mentioned IEMs.

Are there any other options for me.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
Get Mi Piston for Rs 799,it will kill all those iems available at Rs 2000 here in India with ease.

I already own Xiaomi Pistons v2.1 (Flipkart, 799) The build quality and everything is nice but it didn't feel as an upgrade over XB30EX. Sometimes the treble sounds harsh and bass isn't that good.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I've read, Xiaomi manufactures Pistons separately for India. And Indian versions are a little inferior in sound quality to the ones sold in China or elsewhere.(Indian versions also lack that chocolatey smell. :p) Pistons imported from China cost somewhere around 1400-1500 in India.

Last edited:
OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
^^if not piston then get Silver Bullet from OPO @989 in Amazon.in

[STRIKE]Currently looking up information about them.[/STRIKE] Never heard about them earlier.

It is currently unavailable on Amazon India. I didn't find much information about them online, guess I'll skip them. Thanks though.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
The first batch that was sold for Rs999 had that chocolaty smell the ones I own, are absolutely unmatched in sound quality and would trump iems in the region till Rs 4K. Even in that 4K region those iems will better the pistons in upper midrange and might not better in bass extension and overall fuller enjoyable sound output.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
The first batch that was sold for Rs999 had that chocolaty smell the ones I own, are absolutely unmatched in sound quality and would trump iems in the region till Rs 4K. Even in that 4K region those iems will better the pistons in upper midrange and might not better in bass extension and overall fuller enjoyable sound output.

I've heard much praise about choclaty smelling Pistons and no doubt they are awesome. Sadly my non-chocolaty ones (FK, 799) didn't live up to my expectations.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Try the VSonic GR02 Bass Editions or the T Peos Tank in and around the 2K price bracket.The Tank is better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hrishi

You can go for XB-90 for an upgrade if you really are looking for better sound quality but maintain the same signature. You need a good DAP to drive the XB-90 though. With an average cellphone it sounds crappy.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
You can go for XB-90 for an upgrade if you really are looking for better sound quality but maintain the same signature. You need a good DAP to drive the XB-90 though. With an average cellphone it sounds crappy.

I considered saving up and buying XB90EX but from what I've read there won't be much of an improvement if I use XB90 with general sound sources.

angie

At last the devil is here

So, the pistons are better (or atleast a match) than the likes of Brainwavz M2, T-peos tank, Vsonic VSD1,SM E10, E30 if one is not looking for bass?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Exactly. I cant comment on the Rs 799 ones but the Rs 999 surely does. The Bass out put for me is a plenty. It has deep impactful bass that does not eatvthe midrange and his tuneful aswell. The only thing the Pistons lack is the involvement offered by the likes of Sleek Audio and Etymotics or Klipsch Custom or X that I compared them to.The upper midrange to treble lacks the final touch that moves you.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
Pistons v2.1 (799 ones sold by Flipkart) aren't that good (these are good for their asking price but didn't live up to my expectations)

The ones with chocolaty smell (first batch on Flipkart, 999) were awesome. Some seller on Ebay is selling them for 1400-1500; those are much better than the ones currently on Flipkart (799).

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I was really unaware of this fact 799 to 999 fact. Thanks for the info. The Pistons are fun and enjoyable but if you want emotional involvement look else where or at more expensive ones.

angie

Pistons v2.1 (799 ones sold by Flipkart) aren't that good (these are good for their asking price but didn't live up to my expectations)

The ones with chocolaty smell (first batch on Flipkart, 999) were awesome. Some seller on Ebay is selling them for 1400-1500; those are much better than the ones currently on Flipkart (799).

Flipkart replied to me saying these are v2. And have 6 months warranty.

There are too many people saying that treble is just too sharp and also the slippery buds. I doubt they can fare better than SM E10.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman

There are too many people saying that treble is just too sharp and also the slippery buds. I doubt they can fare better than SM E10.

Yeah, the treble is too harsh.

ratul

█████████████████

My friend has ₹799 pistons, another one has EM1, brother has VSD3S (earlier E30), i had SM E10 for good 2 years and i can confirm after auditioning all of these for pretty good time, according to my sound preference:
VSD3S > E30 > E10 > ₹799 Pistons > EM1.

angie

My friend has ₹799 pistons, another one has EM1, brother has VSD3S (earlier E30), i had SM E10 for good 2 years and i can confirm after auditioning all of these for pretty good time, according to my sound preference:
VSD3S > E30 > E10 > ₹799 Pistons > EM1.
I still lament the fact that SM E10 died on me after 1.5 years (once during warranty also). I bought them for 1.5k, so there is no way I will buy them for 2.5k (current price)

Esoteric Eric

Journeyman
I can't even suggest the MH1C anymore. They used to be the really good for the price. Warm and smooth but still quite balanced. Now, there's not a single store that still keeps them. I wish I could get them somewhere.

As a side note, you should try auditioning the Philips SHE9800 if you can.

Superayush

Tech lover

Please share the ebay sellers link,thx a lot in advance :)

Top Bottom