i7 950 vs i7 2600k(sandy bridge)?

adityamgk

The GameFREAK is Online
Which of these two processors will better considering the following components..
1. i7 950(lga 1366) supports tri channel memory as opposed to dual channel of i7 2600k(lga 1155)
2.lga 1366 has more pci-e lanes
3. lga 1155 is a main stream as opposed to high end lga 1366

also I guess the performance wise i7 2600k will be slightly better because of the higher freuency(3.4ghz vs i7 950's 3.06 ghz). Other wise no gain in performance according to my knowledge.

main purpose is gaming.
Is it worth waiting for sandy bridge with little gain in performance? because the high end sandy bridge is expected in q3 2011. I dont care for heat and efficiency(45nm(950) vs i7 32nm(i7 2600k)). Also i dont want to overclock much.

will there be any price drops in i7 950 and 980x(lga 1366) after launch of sandy bridge(lga 1155)?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
firstly will you 3 way SLI or 3 way CF to use those pcie x16 lanes?
and how can we comment without seeing the reviews?

OP
A

adityamgk

The GameFREAK is Online
@jaskanwar: check this out. Got this after searching in on google.
SandyBridge Core i7 2600K review

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait for real reviews to come out. Only then we can make a comment.

fatalcore

Journeyman
I think i7 2600k will be better as the architect is new and the drivers are also new.
However I through review will say which one is better.
But according to me , I think price wise i7 2600k will be a bit cheaper than i7 950-i7960.
Plus efficiently using 4 gb is better than using 6 or 12 GB and keeping 6-8GB idle.
However I am looking forward for sandybridge.
If asked why ? Bro, Intel stock fans produce less sound than AMD's ! [:D] (Q9500 VS 955BE)
Also AMD will be releasing its fusion chips , I read that it will have 8 core or something.Waoo...Thats great.
I have something to ask,In my task manager I find 4 cores , however my bro have i7 920 and it have 8 core's in task manager .. Why ?

Thanks in advance,
Fatalcore.

P.S. : If i purchase i72600 --- I will try to have this board " sabertooth p 67"..Looks great ...Just thinking ,Will wait for reviews from all your side then decide.Happy 2011

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ your is a quad core with no HyperThreading. your bro's processor (i7 950) is a quad core with HyperThreading (4X2 = 8 cores).

mrcool63

Journeyman
if u overclock i7 950 is better. if u dont overclock i7 2600k is better plainly put. the boards for 1155 chipset also seem cheaper. guess u better wait.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If asked why ? Bro, Intel stock fans produce less sound than AMD's ! [:D] (Q9500 VS 955BE)
Generalization is bad. I've only heard Phenom II X4 955 BE having problems with the stock HSF.

I have something to ask,In my task manager I find 4 cores , however my bro have i7 920 and it have 8 core's in task manager .. Why ?
Core i7 920 has hyper-threading.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Generalization is bad. I've only heard Phenom II X4 955 BE having problems with the stock HSF.

Core i7 920 has hyper-threading.
Yea but may I know why they shown as 8 Cores? I mean i7 920/950 has 4 cores and 4 threads, but why they shown as 8 cores?
Thanks in advance.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea but may I know why they shown as 8 Cores? I mean i7 920/950 has 4 cores and 4 threads, but why they shown as 8 cores?
Thanks in advance.
Core i7 920/950 have 4 cores and 8 threads. With hyper-threading a core can handle two threads simultaneously. So, for an operating system (logically) there are twice the number of cores. Call them "virtual cores" tbh. 4 real cores and 8 logical cores as it is said.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
if u overclock i7 950 is better. if u dont overclock i7 2600k is better plainly put. the boards for 1155 chipset also seem cheaper. guess u better wait.

i read somewhere that the Sandy Bridge processors can't be OC'd much. as they don't support increment of their BLCK by much. i guess, Intel wants its Turbo to be the future of OC.

Thanks in advance.

no. 8 threads. Hyper threading. means multiple threading. 2 threads per core.

PS: today i am really on the slower side. posting again & again 3min after ICO's posts. and giving almost same reply.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Core i7 920/950 have 4 cores and 8 threads. With hyper-threading a core can handle two threads simultaneously. So, for an operating system (logically) there are twice the number of cores. Call them "virtual cores" tbh. 4 real cores and 8 logical cores as it is said.
Oh, I got it now, Thanks a lot nd Sam.Shab too.

S_V

In the zone
@adityamgk

Based on your requirement, I feel either one will do..

But let me phrase my opinion here...

If processor frequency is higher than other doesn't mean it will perform better.. Socket,Cache l3,l2,etc matters not solely depend on frequency...

1 .2600K is an unlocked processor which means it will overclock better than i7 950. Since you don't do OC much. It doesn't matter in this case.. It matters a lot for crazy Over clockers like me..

2. 2600k is an 32nm where as other is 45nm and TDP is max 95w for sandy and 130 TDP for i7 (It's hot ,very hot)

3. 32nm is much better in cooling and power efficiency which means K series can be OC with mean results just in air stock cooling... where as in i7 it's not possible at all.They are very hot and 4 GHZ is already limit reached for normal after market air cooling..
YES, you will care about HEAT from i7 processors, they are that hot.

4. Most Likely i7 is going to be dead and not much New processors will be launched just in case of updates for you in future.. Whereas sandy is new and more likely to launch new processors with good speed... in this case you don't have to update mobo for new CPU.

5. i7 does support triple channel unless you do much Intensive graphic design applications.. you won't find much difference in general daily applications...

6. Mostly Likely RAM detection issues is also going to solved in new Socket and processors, which is nightmare with current i7 processors.. This problem will surface only USING more than 4GB... Since memory controller is integrated in Processors from i series many faced lot of problems detecting more than 4GB. YES i am also victim and had to change RAM sets though RAMS worked in other PC well.. It's just sometimes they won't fit well... This can be many chances like Too Much force from Heatsink , Not much force , or Bent Pins on socket die ,some RAMS won't detect with few batch processors, Faulty mobo etc...

Yes, chances are there for i950 to reduce. If i were you, I would wait for real Reviews to come out and then consider further... I would say it's worth to wait just 1 more week..

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
i read somewhere that the Sandy Bridge processors can't be OC'd much. as they don't support increment of their BLCK by much. i guess, Intel wants its Turbo to be the future of OC.

Sandybridge k series processors overclock like hell( read 5ghz on air). These have unlocked multiplier and no need to increment the base clock. Early reviews that have surfaced ,suggest that oc'ed sandybridge is matching the performance of gulftown i7 980x and even beat it in a no. of benchmarks.

A true review can clear all doubts but imo these processors pack quite a punch.

Last edited:

mohiuddin

Journeyman
S_v agree.great answer.
I wanna add , the ring bus communication, where a core can share from all LLC(l3) cache.and the new L0 cache.

what? Yea, just what?
K series r like amd black edition or intel's previous extreme series..i think, they r gonna oc great

rajan1311

Padawan
unlocked multi or not, you generally end up with very similar clocks when you OC on air...there cooling is generally the problem and not the cpu,mobo or RAM....but if you really have some sh!t RAM, then a unlocked multi will help...just by my experience...

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^

Buddy sandybridge are 32nm parts and has a tdp of 95w. So overclocking on air should be a breeze. They are way cooler than older yorkfields(your proccy) and even nehalems.

S_V

In the zone
@rajan1311

You missed the point, K won't be a problem with air cooling unlike current Processors... That's why this much hype is coming for K processors.. 5 GHZ on air... show me one current processor which does 5 GHZ on air... ANSWER IS NONE

Top Bottom