I want to install Gentoo ...... but I don't know anything abt linux, pls help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_blues24

Journeyman
Hi
Frnds I want to install Gentoo (i686) frm Digit DVD (Aug.) & Idon't know anything abt linux, how that can be instsall? Digit provided us a live CD of Gentoo can it work with my WinXP SP2 as a multiboot sys.? pls guide me.
thanks

OP
K

k_blues24

Journeyman
Then Qwerty suggest me any other flavour of linux, I want multi boot sys, & Iwant to play Movies & other media on that

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Since you are new to Linux, completely new, I'd only suggest Ubuntu. Ubuntu because it has a huge community support and many people use it to help you out of difficulty, have a look at www.ubuntuforums.org, its the most helpful forum I've ever seen on the net. Also, Ubuntu being a debian-based system is perfect for installing and managing things and is the best bet on stability.

Features of Ubuntu are:
  • Auto mounts your Windows HDD Partitions which you can access trouble free.
  • Has full and integrated Bluetooth and Wifi networking support
  • Comes with all basic applications from calculator to messengers.
  • GIMP (for image editing),
  • Totem (for movies),
  • Rythmbox (for audio) and
  • OpenOffice.org (for a total Office suite application).
  • Is developed by keeping the newbies in mind and each tool for it is well manualled and constructed.

Apart from all that, it has a Package manager, Synaptic which is dead easy to use to install almost any app of your choice without any hassles. This is one thing all Windows users can only dream of.

Also, you get so many stuff just on a CD rather than most distriibutions going for a DVD.

Get Ubuntu here
Official Site - www.ubuntu.com
x86 CD - [Download] [Order for free home delivery of CDs]

The home delivery is absolutely free and takes about 2-4 weeks for arrival. Trust me, I have got many too.

After you install it, please head to www.ubuntuguide.org and there you can find all instructions to set up your Ubuntu machine in just an hour. Really helpful site.

I am using Ubuntu 6.06 for the past month and have encountered no trouble at all.

Last edited:
OP
K

k_blues24

Journeyman
Tell me about Knoppix 4 QwertyManic

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I havent tried that particular distro yet. Here is the official link anyways. *www.knoppix.com/ and a helping community like place at *www.knoppix.net/

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
k_blues Knoppix is a great live CD/DVD. It is highly recommended to use it to learn and get familiar with linux. But, when, installed to a hard disk, it looses it's strong point and becomes just another distro. On the other hand distros like ubuntu, fedora, suse, etc are optimised for installation on users computer. So, I won't recommend you to install knoppix for the simple fact that there are better installable distros. But, when it comes to live cd's Knoppix is the king.

quantum

Broken In
i d vote for knoppix or also known as damn small linux or use ubuntu it works on gnome enviorment it ll be mucheasier

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
but mind all live cd's will be very slow
u will just bang your head in the wall for waiting it to load. so install linux & xp in dual boot

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
For Live CD/DVD, 512 MB RAM is recommended for faster loading of applications.
Yes, Knoppix Live CD/DVD is a good one to begin with. Also it loads pretty fast.

OP
K

k_blues24

Journeyman
Now upon ur suggestitions I have few choices
1. Fedora 4 as well as 5
2. Ubuntu
3. Gentoo i686 2006
4. DSL
Suggest me the good one from them which can allow me to access my Window XP SP2 also with out any problem.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ubuntu

Fedora doesnt have inbuilt NTFS support and isnt built with interoperatiblity in mind, to me its a damn good Workstation distro.

Gentoo requires advanced linux CLI knowledge and is best left to developers.

DSL is Damn-small-linux, as the name is, it isnt featureful but scores high on portablity.

So, go for Ubuntu.

OP
K

k_blues24

Journeyman
Qwerty I have ubuntu v6.06with me (.iso) one of my frnd gave me.
pls explain whol process of installation to me abt it. I want multi boot sys with ubuntu.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom