I hate Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
whatever the disuccion maybe, but one thing we all have to admit that nothing is perfect and every os has is pros & cons.so when choosing a os one should look advantages & limitation of it & choose whatever suits him most.afterall its all personal choice.like if a user does not want to type a few commands & is willing to shell out around 5k-10k for os,firewall,antivirus,office suite & many other fancy softwares(i unextimated the price of software it should be even more).so he should go far windows.the thing i like in linx is that i am safe without any av sanner or firewall eating my resoucres becuase i only have 256mb RAM so when my computers runs faster in linux than windows
as far as linux/gnu is concerned don't expect to spoon feed u as u pay nothing to them:D. how can this be free.u should be feel thier greatness they are taking so much pain in guiding u.i know learning from e-books is not a easy job.consider this sitution that when u first used the computer u felt it as hard as linux.its only because of ur friends, family members or some basic course in computer help u.

so i just want to say that u should learn linux from anyone near u if u are not eased with learing from reading books. a live demo is very easy to gasp instead of reading piles of books.so if are having some difficulties in linux do join some classes or find a friends with vast know-how of linux(not very hope ful to find one).its just the matter of getting used to it.

Adaption is the key to success

regards,
gary

Last edited:

drsethi

Journeyman
Linux is different from Windows. You will have to learn it. Free versions donot have proprietery software. So new Linux lover is in great confusion. Take help from Linux Community. My advise, for newbies installation should be supervised by a Linux Guru. If properly installed, Linux is far better than Windows. I am using SuSE Linux 10.1. Initially I had many problems like video codecs but now I like and prefer Linux in my daily use.

G

gxsaurav

mehul

It's not the properity drives....nvidia releses their drivers in such form, so that it can be installed on any linux, cos as i said previously, there is no standerd in linux drivers, one driver doesn't work anywhere else

GNU

I hope they do that, it's required...atleast a driver standerd should be followed...so that there is only one driver..which works with all linux distros. ALSA & XGL are to nascent right now

other then this...all the dependencies should be installed by default

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
If you guys want to use a very user-friendly Linux. Buy Mandriva Linux 2006
(Commercial version). It's so easy. Install Windows fonts, configure which O.S to
boot , install software from the DVD, automatically mounts Windows partitions,
including NTFS partitions ( read, write etc., ), play MP3, MPEG, VCD/DVD.
Install & run Windows applications. Forget Fedora Core 5. Mandriva is so easy
that even a kid will learn & use linux efficiently in a week!!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
gxsaurav said:
mehul

It's not the properity drives....nvidia releses their drivers in such form, so that it can be installed on any linux, cos as i said previously, there is no standerd in linux drivers, one driver doesn't work anywhere else

GNU

I hope they do that, it's required...atleast a driver standerd should be followed...so that there is only one driver..which works with all linux distros. ALSA & XGL are to nascent right now

other then this...all the dependencies should be installed by default
i am damm sure that u tryng ubuntu or planning to try it??

G

gxsaurav

i repartioned my harddisk today...got a 12 GB partition with Vista build 5646 installed on it....i m not activating it, insted i will install kubuntu on it, ones i get all the info i need...like that FAT32 problem i faced

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
gxsaurav said:
mehul

GX, that's all rubbish..

Do you know about X.org server? X server comes bundled with all the drivers for all the graphics chipsets whose manufacturers have opened their specs for the public. And you surely dont have an idea how STANDARD those drivers are.. X.org server runs on dozens of distros, couple of BSDs, Solarises and what not. Is this not standard? If supporting several dozens of graphics cards out of the box is not standard then i dont know what is.

However its another matter when it comes to binary-only drivers published by nVidia and ATI... these two manufacturers have very huuggggeee portions of their graphics card technology patented.

Even if they want to opensource the drivers, they cant do it.. otherwise they'll die fighting each other for technology theft and sueing each other.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
GNUrag said:
However its another matter when it comes to binary-only drivers published by nVidia and ATI... these two manufacturers have very huuggggeee portions of their graphics card technology patented.

Even if they want to opensource the drivers, they cant do it.. otherwise they'll die fighting each other for technology theft and sueing each other.
One Day :rolleyes: when OSS becomes the norm,sure nVidia and ATI will Open-Source their's....:D

G

gxsaurav

welll...they can't

there are many technical reasons, such as nvidia's OpenGL & DirectX compilers in the drivers...because of which they are able to get more performance with only drivers updates...

btw...keeping this aside....intel is the only company, i have seen with tru open source gfx drivers, with intel 965G chipset & GMA X3000 i hope this goes right & linux can get some serious XGL performance, with OpenGL 2.0

Linux is userfriendly also easy to operate,

---It is very difficult to install on a system having another OS
Reply:First install Windows 98/2000/xp then install Linux

---Irritating when installing packages due to dependancies
Reply: include --aid command with regular ivh command
example for installing firefox rpm:rpm -ivh firefox.xxx --aid
you can also add commands like --force,--replacepkgs if you get errors again

---All linux do'nt support all audio n graphics cards( I had problems with SUSE
.screen goes blank after booting)
Linux automatically probes for audio & video cards if you have problem in init 5 try removing /etc/xinetd/x11/xorg.conf and enter command setup then display linux will automatically probe your video card then check whether service xinetd is running (service xinetd status) if it is off on it (chkconfig xinetd --levels 35 on) then restart computer

All other things you mentioned is not at all true there are plenty of mp3/video players for linux

I am a Redhat Certified Engineer,my RHCE Certificate number is 804006660921007

djmykey

Let the music play.....
O believe me I tried Ubuntu Linux 5.10 and it suckked donkey balls man. Dependecy errors all over the place even with the net access and all. So now back on Win XP and surfing wide. I mean what is this os where I have to install packages or plugins for whatever new software I need. Whoever talked abt freedom. MP3 support in Ubuntu cracked my skull, whereas it was a breeze in Slack or RH. Damn u ppl might be really geeky to use ubuntu and all.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
That's what I had meant when I said you need to learn how things work in Linux. If you try doing things the wrong way you'll be neck deep in trouble. Did you even try to read ubuntu-wiki? Did you use synaptic/apt for installing softwares? NO. Then how can you complain about it?
Well Ubuntu is a minimal distro compared to Red Hat/SUSe/Mandriva. Those distros install a lot of softwares by defualt. Ubuntu tries to keep it minimal as they can't afford to ship tons of DVD free to anyone. IF you want you can download their DVD from the site. You will face quite a lot lesser of dependancy problems later.
And ubuntu or any other distro cannot legally include mp3 support cos of copyright infringement. But, they have given it on thier wiki on how to include mp3 support
check their wiki on ubuntuguide.org

djmykey

Let the music play.....
tech_your_future said:
Did you use synaptic/apt for installing softwares? NO. Then how can you complain about it?
Yes I did, dint u see it was giving my loads of dependencies errors so I left doing anything abt it. It was showing needed packages which were not even there in the list.

praka123

left this forum longback
djmykey said:
Yes I did, dint u see it was giving my loads of dependencies errors so I left doing anything abt it. It was showing needed packages which were not even there in the list.
I believe U use Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.
For Ur help,am posting my /etc/apt/sources.list below:check ur sources.list with mine and change or edit as needed.AND about error messages,the new APT in Dapper may give error messages due to not installed gpg-key for that repo.add the gpg key as described in sources.list.
Code:
root@prakash-desktop:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb file:/var/cache/apt-build/repository apt-build main
# Automatically generated sources.list
# *www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic
#
# If you get errors about missing keys, lookup the key in this file
# and run these commands (replace KEY with the key number)
#
# gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv KEY
# gpg --export --armor KEY | sudo apt-key add -

# Ubuntu supported packages (packages, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb *in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted
deb *in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates main restricted
deb *security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted

# Ubuntu community supported packages (packages, GPG key: 437D05B5)
deb *in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe multiverse
deb *in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates universe multiverse
deb *security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security universe multiverse

# Seveas' packages (packages, GPG key: 1135D466)
deb *seveas.theplayboymansion.net/seveas dapper-seveas all

# Cipherfunk multimedia packages (packages, GPG key: 33BAC1B3)
deb ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/packages/ubuntu/ dapper main

# Penguin Liberation Front (packages)
deb *packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free
# The Opera browser (packages)
deb *deb.opera.com/opera etch non-free
Also dont compare and search for Windows OS like things in GNU/Linux.this is a much more superior Operating System than Windows,AND it needs in your part to learn this new OS.so best of LUX:) If U use Breezy Badger U can upgrade to Dapper by taking below guide:
*help.ubuntu.com/community/DapperUpgrades#head-8f6f04846f29e7ce769e50cbfd30f0d4a301f12c
*www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-upgrade-from-ubuntu-linux-breezy-to-dapper.html

Last edited:

djmykey

Let the music play.....
See first of all I wrote in my first post in this thread that I was on 5.10. So now dont tell me that diff versions of ubuntu have different repositries.

Secondly I wasnt comparing Win with Linux man. R u mad or making me 1. And if u expected that I was gonna do that then sorry boss. I know the diff bet OSS and Windows. So u can save ur speech and do something else good. Abt Ubuntu maybe Im gonna dump it and try some other distro. Only if slack had something like apt or synaptic. It wudve been my ideal tux :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom