---It is very difficult to install on a system having another OS

---Irritating when installing packages due to dependancies

---All linux do'nt support all audio n graphics cards( I had problems with SUSE
.screen goes blank after booting)

---It is not at all user friendly. A new user always struggles

---Don't have our favourite applications
(Can't play mp3s and videos in ubuntu)

Windows is the best!!!

linux installation is very much easier than windows u think its not user friendly coz i yhink that u have been using windows from a considerable time

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Linux has become more easy than the days I was using SCO Unix!! You are newbie
to Linux after using Windows OS for years. Linux is a far superior OS than Windows.
It will take time to unlearn things that you have learnt using Windows , and learn
new things in Linux. So be patient. If you don't know, you can ask the people here
for help. We are ready to help you.

OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
The main problem is the package dependancies. I don't have an intrnet connection at home. I am using broadband from my college.

cyberzook

Journeyman
yeah linux is not quite user friendly..
I dont get 5.1 sound in my SuSE 10.0
I am unable to connect to dataone(UT-300R2). Its so simple in windows..

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Theres no need to double post!
Please delete one post.

Linux is not too user friendly, thats true, but, a good playground for a geek like me. I like challenges in OSs. I didnot find any documentation to install Linux on my Single volume NTFS Hard drive. I did it on my own.

If you find Linux difficult, only thing you can do is experiment and practice (of course you cant be that lazy). Nothing's difficult without practice.

borg

In the zone
Yeah man, unlike what Linux zealots say, Linux still has a long long way to go. Linux simply cannot fulfill its dreams of becomming th dominant OS in its current form.

To be fare however i would like to add that changes are taking place, albiet very very slowly.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Whatcha talkin' bout?

Only if the User friendliness is cranked up a bit more, Linux can overtake Windows any time as the most dominant OS. Already most Servers accross the world use Linux. Also it is more secure then windows anyday. Also it can be used as Desktop OS.

I am dedicated to spread Linux accross most PCs of my Friends.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It depends on people's perspective and knowledge. I have used both Linux and Windows equally and am at equal ease with both.
Those who have used linux more will be at home with linux and will find windows very difficult and vice versa.

And please avoid flame wars and linux v/s windows here or else I will have to lock the topic. If you have something constructive to say please do so but avoid fighting at all costs.

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
IF user friendliness is enhanced, Linux will loose its security and stabilty. Hence Linux is good the way it is at present. If you feel to make some changes in Linux then you can design your own linux. Such is the flexibility provided by linux which no OS at present provides.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I seriously havent seen any match to linux's customize ability. (I doubt mac has it, neways I havent used it...) It does take a few hours configuring it but once you are done, vroom, it beats Windows hands down, and looks so amazing. I love it now. 2 years back I used Xandros and liked it, thats what compelled me to stick to linux someday, since Xandros was paid.

I think for n00bs its better if they stick to live disks and xandros/linspire free versions (trial) for a month or so so that they understand some basic stuff. Ppl are so long addicted to windows that they are hardly patient enough to see beyond its limited powers.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
linux is the fastest growing software movement today. simply if u don't like linux just change to windows for some $$.linux is only os which is free.once u configure it ur own way u will never use windows

so is this like competition windows vs linux............
they are already many threads....

ans is if u dont work hard to make linux ur user friendly system..dont make comments.......
windows and linux are gud in their own way......i love them both..

mediator

Technomancer
@sarincv.......my uncle used to say the same thing about windows when he first sat on it!
Neways I have only one thing to tell u..........u face obstacles first with linux,agreed but after configuring and customizing which take less time than installing drivers/antivirus/anitspyware/softwares on windows u'll experience a complete freedom! I mean u wont have to worry about nething like u do for windows for viruses/BSODs etc!

G

gxsaurav

Just tried kororaa these days & damn, linux user friendliness sux big time

1) Why do I have to edit the xorg.config file manually, to change the resolution or load new NVIDIA drivers, can't I chose it from some menu etc, or something like Windows or Mac, just do that for me & run the script internally, isn't that what Mac & Windows do

2) The new NVIDIA drivers need the kernel source files, cos they need to be compiled, why is that so......isn't there a standard in linux, in which one linux drivers works everywhere?

3) Mac OS X finder & Windows Explorer are much better then nautilus of Gnome...trust me

4) How to customize, isn't this something which should be given in some manual, or should be allowed to do so easily.....I don't want to run 100000 commands & edit 100 of files

5) After I install, I have to hunt for drivers, reason...one driver of one linux doesn't fit to any other linux....where the hell is ease of use here, my audigy & onboard audio, both don't work

6) Software installation is not easy like double click,, make package, compile from source & god knows what else....can't it do it automatically in the background & show me what’s going on, just in graphical way like Windows installer, or simply drag & drop, like Mac OS application installation

7) by default only mpeg play, can't play mp4, mov, rm, anything else, at least give me an option in the media player or the OS itself that the codec is not here & I have to download & install "particular codec" & do so automatically, in the background, instead of making me download, then unpack, compile...make from source & lots of other tasks

The claim, that the companies are doing it for free....so give them some time etc, is not an excuse...cos they make money by the support etc, so why not give me that support & make it easy

Linux won't loose its security, if they just give something like Desktop properties of Windows XP or even add/remove program, just remove the damn commanding completely

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gxsaurav said:
Just tried kororaa these days & damn, linux user friendliness sux big time
You were all praises for it 2 days back???
gxsaurav said:

1) Why do I have to edit the xorg.config file manually, to change the resolution or load new NVIDIA drivers, can't I chose it from some menu etc, or something like Windows or Mac, just do that for me & run the script internally, isn't that what Mac & Windows do
I have no clue on this topic so I'd rather keep my mouth shut in this case.
gxsaurav said:
2) The new NVIDIA drivers need the kernel source files, cos they need to be compiled, why is that so......isn't there a standard in linux, in which one linux drivers works everywhere?
There is read up on it. You need to do some lessons before speaking up.
gxsaurav said:
3) Mac OS X finder & Windows Explorer are much better then nautilus of Gnome...trust me
I dunno about finder. But Explorer is better than Nautilus or even Konqueror! Please I will fall off my seat laughing. Don't make such jokes. Ever heard Nautilius of for that matter any other file manager in linux crashing the whole system?
gxsaurav said:
4) How to customize, isn't this something which should be given in some manual, or should be allowed to do so easily.....I don't want to run 100000 commands & edit 100 of files
You don't even know of the commands that exist in linux and you are speaking. Linux has a big manual right inside the system. Type 'man' at the command prompt. Or itf you are scared that you can't remember so many commands then you can see help under System in GNOME panel.
gxsaurav said:
5) After I install, I have to hunt for drivers, reason...one driver of one linux doesn't fit to any other linux....where the hell is ease of use here, my audigy & onboard audio, both don't work
I can easily find whatever drivers I need after some searches on google. BTW, this isn't the fault of linux. Go and complain about this to the hardware manufacturers. they are the ones who don't supply the drivers.
gxsaurav said:
6) Software installation is not easy like double click,, make package, compile from source & god knows what else....can't it do it automatically in the background & show me what’s going on, just in graphical way like Windows installer, or simply drag & drop, like Mac OS application installation
lol Did you ever try? RPM's can be installed by double clicking. Have you ever opened synaptic in Ubuntu or any debain based distro? It doesn't even need double click. Or if you can come down to prehistoric days of command line and type a rather complex command
Code:
sudo apt-get install <name of the application>
You need not click twice :-D .
Also, there's one project klik. Do some research on it. It lets you install software with just one click. Neat ain't it? Better than windows? Now, don't sit crying, it's still under devellopment and not included in any distro so it will be difficult installing the klik's framework. But, it has some prospects for the future.
gxsaurav said:
7) by default only mpeg play, can't play mp4, mov, rm, anything else, at least give me an option in the media player or the OS itself that the codec is not here & I have to download & install "particular codec" & do so automatically, in the background, instead of making me download, then unpack, compile...make from source & lots of other tasks
Didn't you pay MS for that? Pay Novell or Red Hat and you will get all that and much more working out of the box and a lot better support than MS. Haven't you ever heard of copyright and IP's? If they don't allow linux to bundle their technologies for free what can linux vendors do?
gxsaurav said:
The claim, that the companies are doing it for free....so give them some time etc, is not an excuse...cos they make money by the support etc, so why not give me that support & make it easy
Pay them and get better support than MS. But, you'd never pay for it. Linux is something that should be obtained free na?
gxsaurav said:
Linux won't loose its security, if they just give something like Desktop properties of Windows XP or even add/remove program, just remove the damn commanding completely
There is a lot of GUI now-a-days if you just care to look around. And if you want linux to become like windows forget it.

As I told you the other day. You belong to windows community stick there. You have very good knowledge there. You are a misfit for linux philosophy, you will never find linux suiting your needs.
Let's better stay where we are more comfortable. Your knowledge lies with windows. Just stay there and help the windows community to scale bigger heights.

Don't try to make Linux into Windows. Or Ubuntu into OS X. You will never be able to do it. Each is different from the other and has it's own strenghts and weaknesses.

borg

In the zone
Typical Linux fanatic talk. Whenever someone makes some criticism of Linux, they turn around & start attacking Windows & throw abuse at the people. As if it means something!.

lol Did you ever try? RPM's can be installed by double clicking. Have you ever opened synaptic in Ubuntu or any debain based distro? It doesn't even need double click. Or if you can come down to prehistoric days of command line and type a rather complex command
Code:

sudo apt-get install <name of the application>

Sure, sure. When I double click an rpm on my FC5, it asks me which application to use to open it!. Also yum can only be used for applications on repositories. What if I have the software on a CD?. Linux installation procedures must be improved. It is nowhere as good as it can be. No matter what the Linux zealots say.

I don't understand what is the problem with making Linux a little more user friendly. Linux fanatics have a misconception that making it easier to use will somehow make it bad. I don't how that can happen. Linux doesn't even have to be like Windows. Linux can be Linux & still be easy to use. It is currently not easy to use & it is not getting any easier to use either. There haven't been many improvements on this front. I have seen FC3 to FC5. Not much has changed in the ease of use department.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Fedora Core is just one distro.. Try others too, and you'l be amazed at how user friendly and easy linux can be! Linux is very scalable. I myself have both windows and linux. I agree i DO have to boot into windows for things. But otherwise linux takes care of 99% of things. And call me a zeelot or whatever, but now (after spending some time with linux) i feel the linux way of installing things *much* better! Try Synaptic or Adept. Anyway, the question is not which is better, but which works better for *you*. And please be mature enough, not to start flame wars on such a silly issue! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom