I can has Nokia N79

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Today I bought Nokia N79 for 19k. I just opened the package & still trying to read the manual, which isn't that tough. Now, first of all I hereby declare myself a "Nokia Noob".

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/3152271487_17c3c69431.jpg

I m downloading Nokia N Series PC Suite & Nokia Software Updater.

1) How do I manage contacts for Nokia N79, is there something awesome like MyPhoneExplorer for SE.?

2) How do I check which firmware I have? I tried checking from the Nokia Software updater site & entered my device code to which it said I have the latest version 10.46 already installed. But I found that 11..49 is out, so why isn't it showing? i tried updating the software after connecting via WiFi still it showed I have the latest version???

Let me copy all my previous SMS & Contacts first, then,...I need some serious help, Symbain is all new for me.

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Today I bought Nokia N79 for 19k. I just opened the package & still trying to read the manual, which isn't that tough. Now, first of all I hereby declare myself a "Nokia Noob".

I m downloading Nokia N Series PC Suite & Nokia Software Updater.

1) How do I manage contacts for Nokia N79, is there something awesome like MyPhoneExplorer for SE.?

2) How do I check which firmware I have? I tried checking from the Nokia Software updater site & entered my device code to which it said I have the latest version 10.46 already installed. But I found that 11..49 is out, so why isn't it showing? i tried updating the software after connecting via WiFi still it showed I have the latest version???

Let me copy all my previous SMS & Contacts first, then,...I need some serious help, Symbain is all new for me.
1. Nokia PC Suite is all that you'll ever need.

2. *#0000#. You have the latest firmware for your product ID. You'll have to wait till v11 is available fr your product ID, only then can you upgrade to it. Usually the new firmwares for Nokia phones first are made available for the European product ID before the Asia Pacific.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
1) I was able to transfer all the contacts from My K750i to N79, but not the SMS. Is there a way I can import all the SMS from K750i to N79?

2) When I use the MTP to transfer music via Windows Media Player, the album art is not synced, but it is when synced via Nokia Music Manager. Any workarround?

Still looking at it...lots to configure

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
2) When I use the MTP to transfer music via Windows Media Player, the album art is not synced, but it is when synced via Nokia Music Manager. Any workarround?

Connect phone in Data transfer mode and simply copy your audio files. Album art will be reatined.

BTW what do you mean from the thread title? :p :rolleyes: :))

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
After trying Nokia PC Suite, Nokia N Series PC Suite & Nokia OVI suite, I m sticking to Nokia PC Suite

1) To transfer Music I use WMP11 & Media Transfer mode. WMP11 Automatically converts the songs to WMA format which my phone understands. However, I think I will have to skip Album arts. If i put album art in the same folder as the WMA file, then in galary view it is visible along with all the other pics I take or have saved. I don't want this so far I haven't been able to see it.

2) For video conversion, I am using TMPGEnc 4 Xpress & converting the videos to MP4 format & copying to Phone's My Videos Folder, via Windows Explorer. This works fine.

Ok, so now my Contacts & Media Files are transfered which I will configure in the upcoming days. Tell me some essential applications. Right now I just have Opera Mini & GMail App installed. I need a good chat client too.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I feel like a kid with a new toy :D

1) My Media transfer woes are finished. I found best methods to transfer audio & videos to my phone. For Audio I can either use the data cable & MTP to transfer songs via WMP or convert songs to AAC & copy via bluetooth which is what I will be doing mostly as I don't want to use the data cable all the time. Bluetooth 2.0 is quite fast. All songs are copied with proper folder hierarchy in "\SD card\Music" folder

2) For converting Videos I can convert them to MP4 format using 512 kbps bitrate for Video & 128 kbps for Audio using TMPGEnc 4 Xpress. They play fine.

3) Since I was using the file manager in K750i to watch pics, it took me some time to understand the concept of Albums in Symbian. Previously I had a folder in my K750i made with the person's name in which I used to keep that person's pics, now I make an Album & I can keep the video & pics of that person in it. Not bad

4) So far I have installed Opera mini, GMail App & fring in my phone. I configured & even using Vodafone LIVE EDGE I am able to check my yahoo & gmail in the " Messaging " application itself. For chatting I m using Fring which will do the job until I do some more R&D in other chat apps. Good thing is that it can even show my orkut scrapbook & facebook profile in Fring itself.

5) I m getting F-Secure antivirus for my mobile phone, should I install it via Nokia downloads? I m not someone whose gonna download & install many 3rd party applications cos everything is in the OS itself. What I needed to install is already installed, Opera Mini, Fring & GMail Apps (for using over paid EDGE, with WiFi at places I use native browser & messaging box to check for mail.

6) I m still getting used to Nokia PC Suite. Why can't Nokia Provide Contact & SMS management in the the "N Series PC Suite".

7) I need something to download & play DivX files (example downloaded T.V. shows) in the phone itself. I downloaded & installed the Official DivX player & going to check it now. Is there something better & good. Can real player play DivX files?

8) I need a download Manager & a torrent client for my phone. Is there any which can integrate itself with the default webkit browser?

9) How do I make themes? I m using "Pure Black, free Nokia theme by PiZero". It's good but there are some text color anomalies so I want to edit this skin myself for better UI.

10) Where should I keep the videos? The "My Videos" folder or just the "videos" folder..

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Err.. The phone does not need an antivirus. Please dont install one and crapify the phone :(

For DivX, try Coreplayer or Smartmovie. For torrents, there's symtorrent.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
5) I m getting F-Secure antivirus for my mobile phone, should I install it via Nokia downloads? I m not someone whose gonna download & install many 3rd party applications cos everything is in the OS itself. What I needed to install is already installed, Opera Mini, Fring & GMail Apps (for using over paid EDGE, with WiFi at places I use native browser & messaging box to check for mail.

6) I m still getting used to Nokia PC Suite. Why can't Nokia Provide Contact & SMS management in the the "N Series PC Suite".

7) I need something to download & play DivX files (example downloaded T.V. shows) in the phone itself. I downloaded & installed the Official DivX player & going to check it now. Is there something better & good. Can real player play DivX files?

8) I need a download Manager & a torrent client for my phone. Is there any which can integrate itself with the default webkit browser?

9) How do I make themes? I m using "Pure Black, free Nokia theme by PiZero". It's good but there are some text color anomalies so I want to edit this skin myself for better UI.

10) Where should I keep the videos? The "My Videos" folder or just the "videos" folder..

5) Stay away from antivirus packages for symbian. s60 v3 is a secure OS and needs no antivirus at all. If you are so paranoid, then scan using pc AV's they too detect some odd s60 v3 viruses.

6) You can backup and restore your contacts & messages using the Backup utility of Nokia PC Suite.

7) Use smartmovie from lonenlycatgames.com . It's better than DIVX. I would recommend you to inhstall Core player which will let you play almost any type of media file on your Symbian smartphone. :)

8) Use Symtorrent - The first and the only available BitTorrent client for SYmbian devices. Read about SymTorrent in my blog : *gauravlive.com/2008/12/26/symtorrent–bittorrent-client-for-symbian-mobiles/

9) Use Carbide.UI Theme Studio. Get it at : www.forum.nokia.com

10) I haven't seen any "My Videos" folder in my symbian phone till now. But it doesn't matter where you put them as Symbian is a great OS & can do every possible thing which you will need it to. You surely won't miss K750i anymore :razz:

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
offtopic: why no winmo phone ?
Dude, I am a MVP that does not mean I have brand loyalty towards anything Microsoft. Both Windows Mobile & Symbian are new for me, but the OS doesn't matter for me, the machine does. OS is transparent for me. The only Windows Mobile Phone I like is HTC Touch diamond but that is for 25k, way out of my budget & with only 3.2 MP Camera, so I opted for N79 instead.

5) Stay away from antivirus packages for symbian. s60 v3 is a secure OS and needs no antivirus at all. If you are so paranoid, then scan using pc AV's they too detect some odd s60 v3 viruses.
I M not paranoid, I don't even use a AV on my PC. i just wanted to know how do virus infiltrate Symbian OS usually,I guess using some application which is un-trusted. I have decided to make a "My Nokia" Account & download application Nokia Download Center only.

Use smartmovie from lonenlycatgames.com . It's better than DIVX. I would recommend you to inhstall Core player which will let you play almost any type of media file on your Symbian smartphone. :smile:
Core Player is paidware. I copied the 350 MB Episode of House to my phone & played it using the Official DivX player, it was playing but it was choppy, the frame rate was less then 25fps (original file's framerate). So I converted it using my recommended setting & it played fine, quality was awesome. I find this method better, it took me 12mins to convert the video & 2 mins to transfer, no need to install any other player I suppose when bundled Real Player is enough.

When downloading, I can download the 110 MB version of T.V shows which plays fine in the phone without any conversion in DivX Mobile player.

Also, how can I use my phone as a torch light?

The following are the applications I have installed in my phone so far

1) Fring

2) Adobe Reader LE 2.5

3) Opera Mini

4) DivX Player

5) SymTorrent.

I guess, these should be all the application I will need. Is there some good Download Manager for Symbian OS which can integrate to the default Webkit Browser & take over downloads? I need the resume function.

Is there any way I can find Quickoffice Premiere & Coreplayer?

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
:confused:

Exactly what is puzzling you man? Which folder you want to delete? :confused:

Sorry, the previous image wasn't uploaded properly. This is the default folder hierarchy of my Memory Card

*i42.tinypic.com/10mof28.jpg

What files & folder should I keep & what should I remove? Like I said, if I can have a download manager or I can change the default download location for all downloads via the browser, then let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom