HP Pavilion 15/G6 - powered by AMD Trinity/Kabini/Richland

Shoaibq

Broken In
re: HP G6 2005AX/2010AX/2201AX - powered by Trinity

Thanks Sam..

Here is wat has happened so far..

At 10PM 4th Aug
I uninstalled my current AMD catalyst.
then I ran AMD catalyst 12.6..in middle it crashed..screen went blank..switched with power off button..
after restarting windows, it wudnt start in normal mode..screen used to go blank..
Then after some googling..went in safe mode..uninstalled both graphics card from device manager..then was able to start windows normally..
Then again tried 5-6 times to install 12.6 but everytime same result :(

Even old driver was not installing..
The thing i was doing wrong in installing old driver was that i was manually installing it from swsetup folder given by HP..
Then i used HP recovery manger and installed the old display driver..and everything back to normal..i hope.. (time 5AM 5th Aug)

Few questions now:

• I read the release notes of 12.6 and it said
    "The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:
    Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks
    "
    So i think this driver is not for this laptop? how did some of the users use 12.6??
  • After trying to install reinstall driver so many times Have i screwed up the windows registry?
  • I tried to do system restore of the restore point which i had made..but its not restoring..giving some error.
  • Shud i use the original factory setting option in hp recovery manager?

Need ur expert advice..

Niilesh

Padawan

Bought HP 2005ax!!! :D
I found the temp of this laptop perfectly normal while gaming
Hey guys do also had to adjust the gamma?

At roughly 21k INR equivalent, an A6 based machine. Name ONE machine that's better at being an entry-level laptop with plenty of room for multitasking! Its the cheapest Quad Core :p

overpriced and actually huge.

Its NOT overpriced for what it offers! 9-cell battery, 17.3" screen, 1600x900 screen resolution, A10, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD - this is really VFM for offering all this! And its MEANT to be huge. Its a desktop replacement that'll be great for games and watching movies as well as doing lots of document editing and coding work. :mrgreen:

we need 14-15" with A10 and no dGPU.

From mobility perspective, I need a 13.3" ultrabook with A10, no dGPU and a 9-cell or 12-cell battery. But sadly none spotted yet. :cry:

BTW, its true. Trinity offers monster battery life. 3-4hr and still running. Tested all sort of things except WiFi and still have 28% battery (1hr) left.

You on a 6-cell battery ? And did you disable the discrete GPU by any chance ?

duke123

In the zone

Bought HP 2005ax!!! :D
I found the temp of this laptop perfectly normal while gaming
Hey guys do also had to adjust the gamma?
which game you played...i played arkham city with high settings ...within 5 minutes of gameplay cpu temp rises from 50C to 90C....

the drivers have crappy issues....AMD catalyst site have mentioned they will switchable graphics support in 12.8...i tried so many versions but none worked.....same problems as above...AMD site has given 12.6 beta may be thats the problem...finally i got this version
Download AMD Catalyst 12.6 Software Suite Vista/7 64-bit | techPowerUp
i think this is the final 12.6 version...install was clean without any problems...and Vision became running again...installed this update for a week no problems yet ...arkham city runs good with dual graphics....only problem is core temp...after 30minutes of gameplay GPU 75C,CPU 85-90C, and idle 50C...

magnet

Youngling

Sam are there any more upgraded models coming soon.

I was almost getting this .Than i was shown samsung np 550p and i am completely blown by it.

Now i am saving extra and diverting my tablet budget for that lappy .

But the extinction of extended warranty is holding me back for few months and i can wait for much better model though i know both of them cant be compared.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Thanks Sam..

Here is wat has happened so far..

At 10PM 4th Aug
I uninstalled my current AMD catalyst.
then I ran AMD catalyst 12.6..in middle it crashed..screen went blank..switched with power off button..
after restarting windows, it wudnt start in normal mode..screen used to go blank..
Then after some googling..went in safe mode..uninstalled both graphics card from device manager..then was able to start windows normally..
Then again tried 5-6 times to install 12.6 but everytime same result :(

Even old driver was not installing..
The thing i was doing wrong in installing old driver was that i was manually installing it from swsetup folder given by HP..
Then i used HP recovery manger and installed the old display driver..and everything back to normal..i hope.. (time 5AM 5th Aug)

i went to safe mode and simply did a system restore. everything was back to normal within minutes.

I read the release notes of 12.6 and it said
"The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:
Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks
"
So i think this driver is not for this laptop? how did some of the users use 12.6??

yup. thats means this laptop too i guess as one can switch from fGPU to dGPU.

After trying to install reinstall driver so many times Have i screwed up the windows registry?

just cleanup registry using CCleaner or so.

I tried to do system restore of the restore point which i had made..but its not restoring..giving some error.

from safe mode also?

At roughly 21k INR equivalent, an A6 based machine. Name ONE machine that's better at being an entry-level laptop with plenty of room for multitasking! Its the cheapest Quad Core :p

didn't check the price. yes at 21-22k its a real VFM laptop.

Its NOT overpriced for what it offers! 9-cell battery, 17.3" screen, 1600x900 screen resolution, A10, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD - this is really VFM for offering all this! And its MEANT to be huge. Its a desktop replacement that'll be great for games and watching movies as well as doing lots of document editing and coding work. :mrgreen:

notebookcheck reviewed it with 6-cell battery i guess and gave it poor rating. actually for anyone that want to game, GPU won't be sufficient.

From mobility perspective, I need a 13.3" ultrabook with A10, no dGPU and a 9-cell or 12-cell battery. But sadly none spotted yet. :cry:

don't expect these kind of specs though Asus always had surprised us with some odd but really matching configs.

You on a 6-cell battery ? And did you disable the discrete GPU by any chance ?

yup. 6-cell 47Whr battery. switching between high performance and power saving but on HP it was offering just 1hr ~39min backup i.e. dual GPU on or 7670M on.

Sam are there any more upgraded models coming soon.

I was almost getting this .Than i was shown samsung np 550p and i am completely blown by it.

550p have a small problem. the 90W power brick is not sufficient. that kind of hardware require more power and many have said about throttling when gamed. i'll link to the thread soon. not a big issue but Samsung should address it soon.

magnet

Youngling

550p have a small problem. the 90W power brick is not sufficient. that kind of hardware require more power and many have said about throttling when gamed. i'll link to the thread soon. not a big issue but Samsung should address it soon.

You mean to say the battery or the power charger?

Also if its the charger cant one use a third party high wattage charger for a lappy?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

You mean to say the battery or the power charger?

charger.

Also if its the charger cant one use a third party high wattage charger for a lappy?

one can but how safe it is i don't know.

played Burnout Paradise and Skydrift for 2hr with dual GPU on in high performance mode (2.3Ghz constant).
*i.imgur.com/azB4O.jpg
this is the end result. The left arm rest gets really heated up but all other part stays cool. Also fan does blow out hot air efficiently. Room temperature was 30-35 and no cooling pad or anything was there. game was maxed out and no slowdown whatsoever.

nikku_hot123

In the zone

I got this Awesome laptop from flipkart on 25th july and
i must say this is awesome!!! now i am playing Skyrim, Played Max Pyne with
medium settings graphics are good and Temp is also normal without cooling pad.
This is great.

duke123

In the zone

I got this Awesome laptop from flipkart on 25th july and
i must say this is awesome!!! now i am playing Skyrim, Played Max Pyne with
medium settings graphics are good and Temp is also normal without cooling pad.
This is great.

can you play arkham city ...whenever i play temperature reaches 90+

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

tested my friends laptop in games. here is what i found:
AMD Trinity (Mobile) performance analysis

zacfx05

Eeeeh What's up. Doc!?

hi all trinity members , also bought ths little black beauty for 32700rs, first impression awesome, i have seen a brown version in a shop, it has more sparkling effect on the body i guess. as most of the issues have already been asked and addressed, nothing more to ask :)

askbol and GG did a wonderfull job with the review . sam made it more beautiful once he combined these threads ans made acoomon lounge for hp g6 2005ax owners , currently registering for redemption offer

aswinarjun99

Broken In

Hi all,
I bought this machine 1 week before. Since the Pre installed OS was worth nothing, immediately switched to Win 7 ultimate 64 bit..
Going good till now...
Tested the following games and running conditions..
Arkham assylum - high settings -- smooth
Dirt 3 - medium settings - smooth
NFS HP - high settings - smooth
AC Revelations - Med settings - smooth..
Sorry that i didnt went for the FPS in each game..

Everything is fine, updated the catalyst driver to 12.6 from the link given in this forum...
But the startup seems a bit laggy... and 2 times the screen went blank.. restarting solved the issue..

help needed about Linux: which distro is compatible with this trinity processor... i found that only kernel 3.4 and above is compatible with this new processors...
if anybody is using any distros of linux, please share their view...

duke123

In the zone

Hi all,
I bought this machine 1 week before. Since the Pre installed OS was worth nothing, immediately switched to Win 7 ultimate 64 bit..
Going good till now...
Tested the following games and running conditions..
Arkham assylum - high settings -- smooth
Dirt 3 - medium settings - smooth
NFS HP - high settings - smooth
AC Revelations - Med settings - smooth..
Sorry that i didnt went for the FPS in each game..

Everything is fine, updated the catalyst driver to 12.6 from the link given in this forum...
But the startup seems a bit laggy... and 2 times the screen went blank.. restarting solved the issue..

help needed about Linux: which distro is compatible with this trinity processor... i found that only kernel 3.4 and above is compatible with this new processors...
if anybody is using any distros of linux, please share their view...

I installed latest ubuntu 12.04LTS desktop version...working fine along side windows...

Shoaibq

Broken In

i went to safe mode and simply did a system restore. everything was back to normal within minutes.

yup. thats means this laptop too i guess as one can switch from fGPU to dGPU.

Then howcome some other users are able to install it?

just cleanup registry using CCleaner or so.

Ok i will do that.

from safe mode also?
didnt think of that...I didnt try restore in safe mode..

Everything seems to be running fine now..do i need to do a restore or back to factory settings?

ronny22

Right off the assembly line

Got this laptop yesterday... :cool:

No heating issue with the laptop...

just wanted to ask if anyone is experiencing change in brightness after switching between different tabs or applications..

Dragosam

Broken In

Guys am planning to buy a laptop but am confused if I should wait for asus k series A10 models or buy Hp g6 ?

payne98765

Right off the assembly line

First of all, Thanks to all of you for maintaining such a nice and informative thread about this laptop.

I have read each and every post in this thread & I'm now sure that this is complete VFM for gaming.

But I've got a one very big concern regarding the temperature of this laptop.Everyone has confirmed that temperature raises to 90 degree while gaming. This seems very high though. Won't this high temperature reduce the life of this laptop drastically? I'm going to buy my first laptop and this is the biggest doubt in my mind.

So kindly share your experience and knowledge on this matter

Top Bottom