HP 6516TX - The computer is personal again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
TechHunter said:
@djmykey, you r right... if we can disable the SATA support to the harddisk, XP can be installed. Its the SATA mode that XP is not able to recognize, without the driver.

Why don't u make a CD of XP SP2 or Vista with SATA drivers included via nLite or vLite.?

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
^^ Well... that is what i implied there... I was just clarifying 'djmykey' why i can't go for disabling SATA option. Since disabling SATA option is not available we have to slipstream SATA driver into XP cd, as you had suggested earlier in a post.
I couldn't complete XP installation due to some time constraints... hopefully will do this weekend.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Hi,

@techhunter - bad luck man that there is no option to change the mode for SATA. So u have to go through the entire process of slipstreaming the drivers. Did you get a CD with the laptop ? If yes that might have the drivers for SATA. U might as well give that CD a try.

@GX - If every time we need to slipstream the CD then this is bad man. I mean is there no way round this kya re. I mean we have 4-5 diff types of laptops and every time we change the SATA mode and go ahead. Am not sure what we r losing on. Any idea what the SATA modes are and what they achieve.

prasad_den

Padawan
TechHunter said:
@ankurgupta.me- Are u sure the prices are still the same? i got my Dv6516 for 56.5K about 4-5 weeks back but last week when i went and asked the same dealer he said the prices have gone up to 58.7K and the same is the price other dealers also have quoted.

I bought mine for close to Rs.59K...!! Not sure if I paid more, but I had no other option.. :D

prasad_den

Padawan
akuCRACKER said:
that isnt the prob saurav... but getting the drivers is the main prob.
Check this link which I had given earlier.. It has all the requisite drivers for XP..
*forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=165319

aku

Gonna make it BiG
not of much help :(
this lappy (dv6502au) is a AMD 64 X2 one, so i dun think intel drivers are gonna be of any use.

Btw i tried to boot the lappy with a xp home ed. sp2 disk, and to my surprise it recognised the hdd without any problem (it's got a 160gig sata hdd).

And just a few minutes ago gave a call to the hp cust. care, and the assured me that once i finish installing xp, they'll provide me with the 'internal' link to drivers required in xp for this lappy.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
theres no prob. in vista, in fact working on vista is much easier adn effortless than os x, linux and xp, IMO.

I haven't upgraded the ram, so im having 1 gig only. Therefore what i think is, pre 2006 games will run pretty well in xp and thats why i wanna install xp.

Btw i tried to boot the lappy with a xp home ed. sp2 disk, and to my surprise it recognised the hdd without any problem (it's got a 160gig sata hdd).
^ Is this thing normal... i mean is it suppose to happen this way?

aku

Gonna make it BiG
but still, there SHOULD be a hike in performance in xp, due to its low sys requirements.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
*www.hauppauge.com.sg/web-content/images/usb2stick_top.jpg

Today i got my free tv tuner card delivered ... and it sux ... big time .... setting up wasnt so esay had to do so many random clicks to make it find and scan the channels ... once done the worst part the sound is mono cant be made to stereo for us ...

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
Finally finished my dual boot setup on the laptop with XP and Vista...
prasad_den said:
Install SP2, .NET Framework 2.0, then EasyBCD. Run BCD, click Manage Bootloader. Select Reinstall the Vista Bootloader, then click write. Reboot and it should boot into Vista. From there you can install and run BCD. Click ADD/Remove Entries, and add an entry for XP and save it. That should be it.
Thanks for these step prasad... this was the most important step of all.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
did anyone successfully installed xp on this lappy?
the only prob im facing is with the sound drivers.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
akuCRACKER said:
did anyone successfully installed xp on this lappy?
the only prob im facing is with the sound drivers.
Why do u want to use Windows XP on this computer at all? If there are some old apps which u need to use then why not try a Virtual PC 2007 installation of Windows XP.

I removed Windows XP from here long ago, & I m using a Slim n-lite edition of Windows XP in VirtualBox for running legecy applications & testing purpose which again is a rare thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom