HP 6516TX - The computer is personal again

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
The HP 6516TX specs are amazing on paper and for 58k ithink its a good buy .... first the machine core:

Widescreen 15" - 1280x800 reso
2 GB RAM
C2D 1.5 GHz
160 GB HDD
GeForce 8400 GS - 128 MB

Now some addons which are really cool multimedia features ...

The Quickplay Controls ...

these are touch sensitive tap-buttons which are quick and easy access to the QuickPlay Menu (quick Play is kinda HP's Media Centre),

then the keys have access to Play, Pause, Next, Previous and volume ....

the volume control is kinda cool ... slide ur finger to the right the volume increases slide in the other direction volume decreases

After that this baby has a finger print scanner which allows u to lock ur lappy to ur finger (this is kinda really cool to play with ... feels like MI-3)

Then i get a dual layer dvd writer (which i still have to try)

HDMI output port (another good feature i feel - future secure)

2 USB ports, 1 fire wire port, 1 external monitor connector, expandable slot, Memory card reader PCMI express slot

Now the Wi-Fi and bluetooth features are also there and u have a slider which allows u to turn on or off the wireless features

The mouse pad has a unique feature ... it has a button which when u press the mouse pad is dis-abled -the clicks, scrolls and mouse is dis-abled

Blue neon lights .... this is something adds to the sex appeal of the notebook .... the quickplay controls i was talking about earlier have this blue neon light glowing below them, the charger input on the right has a circular light surrounding the slot where u connect the charger

Integrated Camera and mic ... again really and this my friends is the only draw-back this machine has ... the camera is a VGA camera, the mic has a good range u dont need o go too close to the screen ...

WEI is 3.1 thanx to the 8400GS

and it comes bundled with Home premium and using ultimate on 512 mb and then this on 2gb is like an amazing feeling ... using vista is so cool on this baby

Now comes my personal favorite the Multimedia Remote .... yes i have access to complete multimedia features in my palm .... the remote is filled with featres ... it is blakc and gray and has all buttons in black except the Windows Media Centre launcher which is in Green and the remote looks kick a$$ coz of this green button ... the remote can launch quickplay menu, windows media centre and u browse play pause everything from the remote, the remote also has the shut down button ... hit it the baby hibernates and hit it again the monster awakens (yes hit the button when machine off it springs back to action)

It also has 2 headset connectors along with a mic connector in the front

PS: im arranging the images and will upload em asap ...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
Widescreen 15" - 1280x800 reso
2 GB RAM
C2D 1.5 GHz
160 GB HDD
GeForce 8400 GS - 128 MB

Not bad, will match a 3 GHz P4 easily in performance. 8400GS is a sweet add on for Vista.

these are touch sensitive tap-buttons which are quick and easy access to the QuickPlay Menu (quick Play is kinda HP's Media Centre),

the volume control is kinda cool ... slide ur finger to the right the volume increases slide in the other direction volume decreases

Trust me guys, u have to use it to believe it. Feels like Minority report.:D

After that this baby has a finger print scanner which allows u to lock ur lappy to ur finger (this is kinda really cool to play with ... feels like MI-3)

Ultimate in security.

HDMI output port (another good feature i feel - future secure)

Unfortunately, some ***boys who spends 3 times more money can't enjoy Real HD on there laptops :D

PCMI express slot

U sure? isn't it PCMCIA Slot

The mouse pad has a unique feature ... it has a button which when u press the mouse pad is dis-abled -the clicks, scrolls and mouse is disabled

Nice

Blue neon lights .... this is something adds to the sex appeal of the notebook .... the quickplay controls i was talking about earlier have this blue neon light glowing below them, the charger input on the right has a circular light surrounding the slot where u connect the charger

the camera is a VGA camera

Its made for chatting etc. VGA resolution is good enough.

Which OS r u using? Bundled Home premium or ultimate?

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ya sorry its the PCMCIA ...

Cam: most other laptops have 1.3 mp cams even some cheaper hp notebooks have 1.3 mp cam

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Thanx a lot for the review...
Your review makes me more inclined to buy this one...
Also could you run a few tests to gauge the actual strength of this monster...
Waiting eagerly for the pics!!

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ ah the tests ... yup il do those 2moro ...

and dont pin ur hopes on the pix coz they are gonna be from my 6600 :)

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
iMav said:
The Quickplay Control is really cool to work with, so is the Finger print security system.
iMav said:
2 USB ports, 1 fire wire port, 1 external monitor connector, expandable slot, Memory card reader PCMI express slot
small correction, I think, It has got 3 USB ports.

iMav said:
The mouse pad has a unique feature ... it has a button which when u press the mouse pad is dis-abled -the clicks, scrolls and mouse is dis-abled
There is but one problem with the mouse pad, not so major though, on prolonged use (of about an hour or so) it gets sticky !!

DV6516 configuration is one of the best in market now.... and it rocks...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Tell me, Same config can come with Dell 1520 (modified) tooo, as price would be same i guess...

What would be ur Choise ??

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
Choto Cheeta said:
Tell me, Same config can come with Dell 1520 (modified) tooo, as price would be same i guess...

What would be ur Choise ??
Glad that you brough this point out.... Well i did considered DELL option before going for HP. A lot of research into this went by for deciding on HP or DELL. The same config when i tried out in DELL it was almost as same as HP if not less. So it was not cost that made me to go for HP.

And also the services they provide are at par(though the mode is different). Both are reputed companies and have both encouraging and horror stories about their services. No one can say ones services is better than the other or they offer better product than the other. After all the machine is defined by its configuration than its tag name. Its more or less like going for Intel processor or AMD.

I believe, most of you will agree, that HP has got a lot better looks and style than DELL. And that's one of the main reason i went for HP, atleast you will like to have a good looking machine when u pay around 50K;). Its not that HP machines gives you more than what DELL can in terms of performances, or vice versa. Its just a personal choice between them and a bit of homework before(this is really needed)you choose between them.

TechHunter.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Choto Cheeta said:

What would be ur Choice ??

Well as of now Dell costs more in my city that is Delhi...
A few things you should have a look before deciding on one:
1)Do you need a better gfx card than 8400GS??
2)Do you need a better processor than intel C2D T5250?
3)Do looks matter to you a lot?
4)How is after sales-support of both companies in your city?(its almost same in major cities)
Well answers to these questions is what separates the two...

@iMav
Borrow a good camera frm someone or do watever but please upload some good,clear close up pics of the lappy!!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@ankurgupta.me

well, Gaurav (Tary_G) bought one 1520 at Rs. 53k (incl tax shiping and that all) with 1 GB DDR-II incl 8600 GT, so i suppose Dell with this same config will definatlly come under Rs. 58k

and i dont understand ur question apart from the looks one...

as I asked for the same config :p

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
no, there is a huge cost difference in the same config now and gaurav's config when he purchased it, it has become more costly now .... besides with hp u get a tv tuner card (which i have to still procure) and a reliance data card ;)

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
almost similar to my lappie.. xcept that i've a bigger & better screen.. but this one has a newer DX10 GPU...
*img354.imageshack.us/img354/263/uploadtv8.th.jpg​

Last edited:
OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ yup and finger print scanner

PS: tv tuner card will come in 2 months and reliance data card depends when anil ambani decides to give it ... crap :x

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Choto Cheeta said:
@ankurgupta.me

well, Gaurav (Tary_G) bought one 1520 at Rs. 53k (incl tax shiping and that all) with 1 GB DDR-II incl 8600 GT, so i suppose Dell with this same config will definatlly come under Rs. 58k

and i dont understand ur question apart from the looks one...

as I asked for the same config :p

Well as iMav pointed out that right now there is quite a big difference in the price between the two so HP wins hands down at the moment...
And if you looking at same config on both then looks and after-service support comes into picture...
If you have flexible budget then the first two questions have relevance...

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
update:

wei score automatically increased to 3.4 it said new hardware found and then when i refreshed my wei score it increased to 3.4 and ya it has 3 usb ports i found the third 1 next to the charger connector

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hdmi and fingerprint scanner are somethings what this lappy scores over most of the lappies in that range :)

also, the pcmcia standard is obsolete now. that slot is called as "express card" the cards are now almost quarter the size of pcmcia cards (16bit) and half the size of card bus cards (32bit).

regarding the cam, do check it out again. one of my frenz bought this lappy. he said its 1.3mp.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
also the quickplay menu and remote control are really cool advantages ... over the dell offcourse

i confused the jargons ... the lappy has:

express card slot ... gx kya kaan fuse kara hai yaar ...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
update:

wei score automatically increased to 3.4 it said new hardware found and then when i refreshed my wei score it increased to 3.4 and ya it has 3 usb ports i found the third 1 next to the charger connector
Did u reinstalled ?

& You said PCMCIA, I have never seen this lappy how would I know it has express card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom