HP 6516TX - The computer is personal again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
TechHunter said:
Downloading SATA driver is what i am taking about.... how will i know which SATA driver is the correct one for my Laptop hard disk. I mean what is it based on which i should search for the drivers - Hard disk, SATA Harddisk controller, hardware .... :confused::confused:.

Which chipset this laptop has? Go to Intel site & download SATA drivers for this chipsets controller

aku

Gonna make it BiG
@tech hunter...
man.. go to bios and over there change the harddisk mode to ide.. then it'll surely work.. no nooe of any driver..

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
Thanks for your replies....
gx_saurav said:
Which chipset this laptop has? Go to Intel site & download SATA drivers for this chipsets controller
I will try looking for that... I have "Intel 965PM Express Chipset". BTW will this a have XP specific driver or a generic one ?

akuCRACKER said:
@tech hunter...
man.. go to bios and over there change the harddisk mode to ide.. then it'll surely work.. no nooe of any driver..
I tried to do that... disabling the SATA Native support.... but the BIOS doesn't have any such option.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
TechHunter said:
Thanks for your replies....
I will try looking for that... I have "Intel 965PM Express Chipset". BTW will this a have XP specific driver or a generic one ?

This has XP specific drivers which U will need to slipstream in XP SP2 CD via nLite.

Check any driver CD provided with the laptop

aku

Gonna make it BiG
did that help?

btw any1 having any idea how to create multiple set of recovery disks from the softthinks rcovery disk creator?

Can any1 havin proper info about this please reply?
PS. this aint got nuthin to do wid piracy!

Last edited:

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
I too finally bought the DV6516TX and am loving it....
this laptop rocks....
expect a review from me too soon...
BTW iMav which color do you have...my retailer told that it doesnt come in silver....

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
^^I bought it for 55.4k...
Will buy the additional warranty for 2 years after a few months which costs 5k...
@iMav...same here....

prasad_den

Padawan
Got this lappy a few days ago...... Its just superb..!! The looks are sexy.. and the specs are very good..!! Will have to try installing XP on this... :D :D Any specific links for this...??

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
^^^ You can try this link: Dual Booting XP with Vista ... kinda tutorial for "dual booting XP with Vista already installed".

Also you will need the SATA driver before u start with the installation of XP. You can try this below link given by gx_saurav for the drivers:
gx_saurav said:
This has XP specific drivers which U will need to slipstream in XP SP2 CD via nLite.
I couldn't get time to try this out yet.... anyway let me know if it works out.

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Thanks for the link.. I've installed XP already with the syschat and notebookreview and apcmag tutorials :D, and its now up and running..!! But the fingerprint scanner is not functioning under XP. I've installed the drivers for it, but which software do I need to installe, so I can login to XP with a fingerprint scan..??

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
^^ That's good to know... can you please give me an overview of the drivers and s/ws that u needed while installing XP and any specific problem that you may have encountered during the process.
And BTW you have done a dual boot setup... rt ?

prasad_den

Padawan
Yup.. its a dual boot machine now.. :D
*apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
*forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=165319

Check the above twwo links also.. The 2nd one has an excellent guide, and all the drivers required for XP are also given, along with instructions...!!

One important thing to keep in mind while installing XP SP2 is that, after XP installation, the system initially boots only to XP.. Vista will not be seen.

Install SP2, .NET Framework 2.0, then EasyBCD. Run BCD, click Manage Bootloader. Select Reinstall the Vista Bootloader, then click write. Reboot and it should boot into Vista. From there you can install and run BCD. Click ADD/Remove Entries, and add an entry for XP and save it. That should be it.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Well as promised here is my review of this beautiful beast...
I posted it on my blog a couple of days ago and surprisingly its No.1 on Google for the keyword "HP dv6516TX review" :D

Its been more than a week since I have been using this and to say the least I am totally satisfied with it..It comes preloaded with Vista Home Premium which works like a charm and boots up in 50 seconds flat.I downloaded the latest drivers from the HP drivers site and my windows experience index shot up from 3.1 to 3.4 which is the lowest subscore for the graphics card.

Though its the lowest Core 2 Duo processor on the laptop but it performs pretty well and handles most of the CPU intensive tasks smoothly.The RAM is enough to run any application available today. I tried a few games like Cell Factor Revolution and other which are graphics intensive and I was able to run them smoothly at decent settings though not at top notch settings which says a lot about the graphics card.The graphics card is DX10 compatible so it makes it future proof for the next couple of years atleast.

The clarity of the speakers is awesome thanks to Altec Lansing but the volume isn’t very high,its medium,so dont even think of relying on them to disturb your neighbors when they are fast asleep!! The integrated webcam that has been provided is VGA which is its drawback but it more than compensates for it by giving very good picture quality which is pretty much comparable to 1.3MP ones…

The fingerprint reader is what I like the most as it takes away the hassle to remember passwords for various sites that you logon and instead makes your finger the most important tool while you are on the net.The touchpad is decent thought not a replacement for a mouse.It has scroll feature and many others features which can be customized through the software but still I will need to buy a mouse.The quickplay buttons are touch buttons which handle your multimedia operations.The remote control is pretty handy while watching movies,giving presentations and even for simple tasks such as turning off the laptop.

Now one of the most important criterions for selecting a laptop is its battery backup.This one manages 3 hours on normal usage and around 2.5 hours on internet usage which will further reduce when gaming.This one is not for those who need to stay long hours away from the AC mains but then they can buy the HP 12 cell battery which I am sure will give a battery backup of 5-6 hours atleast..

I haven’t burnt a CD/DVD yet in the drive but the read speeds are very good and I am sure write speed will also be fast.Seems like this short review of mine has turned into a lengthy one but I think I have covered all aspects of this laptop.

It cost me 55,400 rupees to be exact and if you are on a same budget then look no further and grab this one as I certainly recommend it to everyone looking to buy a laptop.The icing on the cake being the free iPod,notebook skin and free 1 year insurance that makes it unbeatable at this price.The only area is loses out on is its lower processor and the 6 cell battery which gives only 3 hours as maximum backup time.

I would rate it 8/10.

Last edited:

djmykey

Let the music play.....
@TechHunter: - We have HP nc6320 laptops in our office. We change the SATA mode to something that works with XP and then use it just like that. I dunno what gets affected but it works pretty ok ok.

@iMav: - HP never includes any latest drivers for the devices they use in their pcs. We always have to dl the newer version of drivers all the time.

TechHunter

The Hunt is On
@djmykey, you r right... if we can disable the SATA support to the harddisk, XP can be installed. Its the SATA mode that XP is not able to recognize, without the driver. But with Dv6516, the bios don't have any option of disableing SATA itself, so this cannot be achieved.

@ankurgupta.me- Are u sure the prices are still the same? i got my Dv6516 for 56.5K about 4-5 weeks back but last week when i went and asked the same dealer he said the prices have gone up to 58.7K and the same is the price other dealers also have quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.