How's your social life/Help with social life.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi all,

As you know that geeks are usually stereotyped into guys with low self-esteem, awkward social presence, who dwell in their dungeon-esque basements and type away on their computers. Though a little far fetched, it is actually true (to one extent) for many of us (me included). Some of us might find it difficult to adjust with non-geeks or find it hard to communicate. Therefore, please share your experiences and how do you cope with it, so as to help those who need some guidance.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
First thing to do is to get rid of Facebook and Twitter, then life will become normal.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Acceptance is the keyword.

Accept urself. U r going through a transformation. And you are qustioning this. If its right or wrong. Accept urself.

Voila all these dilemma would be gone.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Just try to talk with more ppl around you with humor sense, you will be called social.
But the be-yourself philosophy ppl advice ,confuses me.

buddyram

New Voyage
First & foremost do not talk to non-geeks pertaining "Technology"! (ah, You'll be fired back:mrgreen:)

Try to be humble, and be jovial with good sense of humour.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My sense of humor is not well accepted. I've tried to be myself, has not helped much. I can talk for hours on tech, rock music, guitars, etc. Also, if I do not show my tech side, someone else gets recognized as a tech guy and not me (who is more deserving).

PS: Define good sense of humor.

sygeek

Technomancer
You'd get the worst advice in a technology forum. Get some help from a psychologist/therapist. It's not "1, 2, 3..BAM! I'm now smart as hell!"

As for the sense of humor, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Either they don't find it funny or you put forward geeky jokes(?). Just talk about daily life, add some humor in-between.

Like I said, you'd get the worst advice from us. Get a therapist. I'm actually serious about this, you got a whole life ahead.

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Arrow in the knee and such.

Yup...memes. I love memes. But, I know that anyone who has not played Skyrim will not get it.

I am asking in this forum to see if there is anyone else who is facing similar circumstances and how they are dealing with it. I don't think I have time for a therapist.

PS: Never been to a therapist, so don't know what to expect.

PPS: Anyone know a therapist in Pune?

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Happens with me too. Usually I am the only one who laughs at my jokes. If at all others do, there's usually a 8 second lag. By that time it's too late.

Maybe you should attend a youth hostel trek. Atleast 7 days. At a place where mobile, internet is not reachable (or dont carry your mobile).

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Split personality comes in use here.

"When in rome, do as the romans do"

Mingle with a group. At first don't talk. Laugh when everyone is laughing, talk only when asked...mostly observe how everyone is reacting. Body language, speaking language, attitude to different things. etc.
Then try opening up slowly. Start a topic or bring some chips some-day...literally force people to eat...etc you would be good.

Basically you are going to act like what you are not (I can't say what you are and what u are not... u decide) Everyone happy including you.

AT NO CONDITION, I REPEAT, AT NO CONDITION, show that you know better and more than your peer group. You know , you know the right thing, right procedure but your friends are there to goof-off not for a how to session. Open your mouth only when people ask your opinion.

There, secret revealed.

revolt

Banned
My social life is similar to my virtual life.Due to my rebellious nature I admit I went through many problematic situations.I know many guys over here too hates me.same is in real life too.If I don’t like anything I will never accept it until it changes.For doing that I had made many enemies beaten many people.Yep sometimes i also got whacked but only few times ratio is say 5:2.I never felt sorry for the people i beaten.It gives me a great pleasure to make people...Er no i am not psychic. I only do that for people whom i find too much arrogant for stupid reasons.

Top Bottom