How WinRAR Destroyed My System, A Fair Warning To You All.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
Prepare yourselves, cause you are about to hear one of the most horrific stories in your life, ok, may not that much, but still scared the daylights out of me :cry:

So there I was, one fine morning, with a cup of coffee, browsing through usual 4chan cr@p(/b/), when all of a sudden my explorer(windows) hung, I thought WTF? This is a mean machine, with an updated OS, no virus, so what? :-?

Anyway not to worry(I had full backup) I went to find a solution, restarted explorer, nothing, taskmanager showed 20% cpu utilization of explorer and it was stuck, felt weird, restart, same thing, now I was getting pi$$ed off, safe mode, nothing, now I felt concerned, since explorer was not accessible, I was accessing programs thorough task manager(run->browse) :evil:

So I went to find the issue, stopped all programs, nothing, killed all the context handlers, nothing, tried web, no proper solutions came, sfc/scannow, nothing, finally system restore, I felt safe, for 5 mins, it was back, now I was tired and wanted to give up :|

But then I started thinking WTH was I doing last, turned out I was using winrar to archive some files, small file, 60mb total, nothing lit up in my mind, without explorer the system was running absolutely ok, I could do anything, the system passed all hardware tests fine :oops:

SO??

ProcessExplorer revealed that the thread SHLWAPI.dll(under explorer process) was the issue, dump revealed nothing, google gave nothing. Killing the thread didn't fix it :x

And I was damn sure it wasn't a virus.

Right then I was about to give up and reinstall windows, when I accidentally clicked the Winrar's up button(Winrar was open as I was downloading a bunch of tools from web) and reached desktop, and I saw 24000 rar files on desktop, yes, 24k, so explorer was trying to display them, and fu(ked up :cool:

So I went to investigate the issue, found out that by default the segmentaion unit in WinRAR is B for bytes, yes bytes, I was trying to split the 60MB file into two parts, but instead I made 60000000/25 segments, windows crashed before we got there anyway, but 24k files was enough :lol:

What I did:
*i.imgur.com/0TGly.png

I deleted the files through winrar(they were not showing under any tools that used standard windows api to access files as those files were not visible under explorer,so I couldn't see them under task managers->run, browse menu), and it was fixed.

So guys, learn from my lesson, be careful with WinRAR, and you can use this method to screw your friends PC if you like, no long term damage, you could just erase the files with winrar or other non standard tools, or command prompt.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
^ Hah, I remember something like that happened to me as well. Killed the WinRAR process right away as soon as I noticed it spouting files by the dozen. :p

I use 7-ZIP now. :D

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^ Hah, I remember something like that happened to me as well. Killed the WinRAR process right away as soon as I noticed it spouting files by the dozen. :p

I use 7-ZIP now. :D
Since my files were 25bytes each, and I have a 2600k, it spawned close to 10k files per sec before it hanged, too little to late, I also use 7zip, but I was sending the files to my cousin, so used winrar.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
How can this be WinRAR's fault? :-? it was doing what you asked for.. :-?
Well, default file segmentation is bytes(look at pic above), BYTES, when was the last time you saw rar part files in BYTES? It should have been MB. Plus why not provide a warning, a freaking web browser shows warning when creating a large no of tabs, the first time, as I was about to create 2400000, i.e 2.4million rar files it should have warned us, a total windows installation directory does not contain that many files.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Well, default file segmentation is bytes(look at pic above), BYTES, when was the last time you saw rar part files in BYTES? It should have been MB. Plus why not provide a warning, a freaking web browser shows warning when creating a large no of tabs, the first time, as I was about to create 2400000, i.e 2.4million rar files it should have warned us, a total windows installation directory does not contain that many files.

ok. I checked winRAR interface.. the default is Bytes, but the drop down menu text is blank but on clicking the dropdown you can see there are different size predefined..

yes its a blunder by WinRAR, but you could have been a little bit more careful and checked the target split size before you started the archiving process :)

mrintech

Technomancer
Use older version of WinRAR and be happy :)

*i.imgur.com/w3KNZ.png

I am using 4.00 (x64): Download WinRAR for Windows | Old Version.com :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
compression settings...no blame to winrar
this can be replicated in other compression softwares also...

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
ok. I checked winRAR interface.. the default is Bytes, but the drop down menu text is blank but on clicking the dropdown you can see there are different size predefined..

yes its a blunder by WinRAR, but you could have been a little bit more careful and checked the target split size before you started the archiving process :)
See the problem? I know about the dropdown list, I expected default to be in MB, I mean bytes? Really? Not even a text file will fit.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I remember I had a folder full of images pulled out from lmao pics. Explorer just stuck after more than half way scrolling, no preview of images...nothing. I couldn't kill explorer process too. Restarted and never went back to that folder, probably list view ill be good.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I did similar thing once, but it created only some 1k or 2k files but I was fast enough to close it before it could finish. :p

Use older version of WinRAR and be happy :)

*i.imgur.com/w3KNZ.png

I am using 4.00 (x64): Download WinRAR for Windows | Old Version.com :)

3.90 here :cool:

shashankm

I reign hell..
I fail to see how WinRAR hasn't destroyed my 8 year old PC, another 3 year old PC!
Guess I know B and b..quite well!
WinRAR is only a bot, rather rename the title how I accidentally screwed up my system! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom