How to Update to USB2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ok, everyone is suggesting installing Linux from the Flash Drive. But even a 4 year old PC can't boot off a USB Flash Drive widout a BIOS update. Did we forget about that??!!!

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
infra_red_dude -
Talking of BIOS... this PC won't boot in case it's not operated for 10 days or so... thats because the BIOS battery is dead for almost 2 years now. I'll have to run the setup to change the dates to boot XP. So will this pose a problem in case I'm booting via USB drive? Can I do the setup for changing the date/time as we do in Windows...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ You can only boot off a USB Flash Drive if the BIOS supports it. Get into the BIOS and check the boot options if it supports that.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
go to your bios(keep pressing f10\f2) just after turning on your PC....In the bios you will see something like boot preference......If you can see USB device there then your mobo supports booting from USB devices otherwise no.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Enter the BIOS, then goto the Boot menu. You'll prolly haf a lot of options if its the older AWARD/AMI BIOS. Check the boot priority (1st boot, 2nd boot device etc.) Change the options to see if it has any USB in the listing.

Or among other options in the Boot menu itself, check if there's an option for Boot from USB or something similar.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

I smell more problems now. Just the BIOS now. Got the following options:
Disabled
Network
SCSI
CDROM
ATAPI ZIP
Floptical
Floppy
IDE -0 to IDE - 3

My first boot device was IDE - 0 and the second one was Floppy. Also I saw one more option like :"Try other booting devices -- Yes".

So no USB in that list.

Lol, it seems that the first post problem is the tip of iceberg! More and more is coming on the way. :D

By the way, I forgot to post this yesterday. I tried the WD in my cousin's PC and it worked like a charm.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
lols,this is funny.let the PC die in peace man!:p

Download Gusty gibbon and follow method provided by Nucleuscore to install it.
You said you would like to replace XP with Linux anyway cos XP runs slow on your oldie so even if your HDD works or not atleast you will have a spanking new ubuntu gutsy gibbon to play with on your system.:p

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

^^
Yeah, will leech Gusty gibbon (or Linux Mint) for sure. Even if this PC is giving problems, I'll install that along with Tiger in my MBP. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom