How to Update to USB2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I have a Western Digital Passport (Portable HDD). When I connected to my lappy there was no problem, but here in my old PC it couldn't. After some research I found out that the USB need to be updated to USB 2.0.

Here's the screenshot of the driver manager for that thing:
*img134.imageshack.us/img134/1707/driverdt5.jpg

I tried to update the drivers (by clicking on update drivers in the property settings), still couldn't do anything.

Can anyone guide me how to go about?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Which motherboard is that? Intel 81x? If so then its a hardware limitation. You gotta buy a USB 2.0 PCI addon card.

For 99.9% times you don't require any special drivers for enabling USB 2.0. You only need to make sure that its Windows XP SP2/Vista. The drivers are automatically installed by the OS for most hardware (and certainly in your case).

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

^^
From the MS support center - "Even though, I might have SP2 installed, the old driver things still remain which needs to be updated".

So I tried to update via the properties things, but no luck.

By the way - how to see what mobo I have? Mine is an old PC, almost 7-8 years old.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
wikipedia said:
USB 1.0 was introduced in November 1995, though early uptake was originally very low. USB 1.1 came out in September 1998 to help rectify the adoption problems that occurred with earlier iterations of USB

The USB 2.0 specification was released in April 2000 and was standardized by the USB-IF at the end of 2001

So if your PC was purchased before 2001 then most probably it doesn't support USB2.0

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

How much will that cost? The cabinet is also a mini tower. I also wanted to add an ethernet card so that I can share net connection btw my Mac and PC. Now it seems that I'll have to keep my MacBook 24 hrs ON to leech stuffs. :(

Even if I use Linux, the same case? Is there any way, I access the contents in that HDD?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^I think it should work albeit at the speeds of USB1.1 as USB is reverse compatible.(confirmed:USB 2.0 is backward compatible)

Even if I use Linux, the same case?
Yea dude even if you use Linux.Its a hardware limitation not software.I know Linux does magic sometimes but not in this case.

Price of USB2.0 PCI card Rs.300.
*cgi.ebay.in/PCI-USB-CARD-2-0_W0QQitemZ150169731692QQihZ005QQcategoryZ95393QQcmdZViewItem

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
You already bought MacBook???

The USB card won't cost more than 400bucks.

Yeah, its the same case even if you use Linux or any other OS. It'll work at USB 1.1 speeds only as the USB controller is the limiting entity here. What do you mean by "Is there anywawy to access the contents on the HDD"?

As to what I've understood, its working on USB 1.1 speeds and not USB 2.0. Is your comp. not able to even detect it? Then check the USB ports for faults. Also, the ports may not be supplying enough power to the USB HDD. It may need additional power. Check that also.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Guys -
It's not working! I want to work, thats all. I don't care if it's USB 1.1 or 2.0 speeds. When I connected, it automatically detected and it said :"The device would perform better if it runs in USB 2.0". The auo play also came - which scanned the files inside the HDD but in the end it was not able to open.

infra_red_dude -
The blue led lights up, once I connect to the USB port of my PC. It's a portable HDD, so no external power required.

I brought the MacBook Pro sometime back, when I was in Dubai. Now I'm in Chennai and the lappy is in Texas. Will lay my hand in another 7-10 days or so.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
drgrudge said:
Guys -
It's not working! I want to work, thats all. I don't care if it's USB 1.1 or 2.0 speeds. When I connected, it automatically detected and it said :"The device would perform better if it runs in USB 2.0". The auo play also came - which scanned the files inside the HDD but in the end it was not able to open.
Since its recognised, at least there is no problem on that front. What error does it give when it tries to open?

drgrudge said:
infra_red_dude -
The blue led lights up, once I connect to the USB port of my PC. It's a portable HDD, so no external power required.
Check the WD harddisk. Many models in the Passport series come with the option of an external power adaptor in case older computers are not able to supply enough power to it. Tho the power adaptor is not included in the package you can find a DC power connectors on the HDD.

drgrudge said:
I brought the MacBook Pro sometime back, when I was in Dubai. Now I'm in Chennai and the lappy is in Texas. Will lay my hand in another 7-10 days or so.
Oh thats cool. I thot you were still deciding on buying.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^try connecting in other ports if you haven't tried yet.Make sure the connections are tight.
You can try any linux distro(use LIVECD) cos the hdd is detected but you are not able to access its content.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Ok, got the screenies this time.

[img=*img339.imageshack.us/img339/8246/16839686qb1.jpg]

*img339.imageshack.us/img339/4711/65062326ds3.jpg

*img149.imageshack.us/img149/8623/31589579yt6.jpg

So you can see what I meant.
Here's the sequence of events:

1. It tells the device can perform better.
2. when I click that ballon, then the 2nd screenshot opens up.
3. Then, we get the auto run window.
4. Gives error as USB not recogonised.

The thing is the Optical drives are also not working and they aren't connected to the mobo. I really wanted to install Linux as running XP in this system makes it even slow.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
1.This is normal.It tell that the port is USB1.1 and your HDD is usb2.0.
2.where is that second screenshot?
3.It means even the content are recognised.
4.I don't think there should be any error.

The same thing used to happen to me in case of my mobile phone's MMC...the card was recognised with the same warning(1) but was not accessible and was not shown in my computer.But my problem was solved by just using another USB port(my mobo has 6 in total).I guess there are different types of USB ports or some of them are damaged.

try using a pendrive...If it works perfectly then most probably as Infra red dude told it may be due to the fact that USb1.1. port is unable to supply enough power to the HDD.

Don't purchase any usb2.0 PCI they wont be of any help IMO.

Time to get a new motherboard grudgy.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

^^
The second screenshot is the 2nd image here. The one after the image link. The 4th error that I mentioned:
*img339.imageshack.us/img339/8246/16839686qb1.jpg

I remember that my broher was telling Pen Drives was working fine. I got to try that as well.

One more thing that I forgot to type was all this happened in one of the 2 USB slots only. When I tried in the other slot, the Blue light was glowing darker n then lighter, ie bright and dim alternatively. I think what infra_red_dude said might be the case. It's not driving enough power. Now how to do I rectify this?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
then its clear buddy...Hdd is not able to derive enough power from the port as neither the port(pendrive working fine) is faulty nor the HDD(works on your macbook).

I think what infra_red_dude said might be the case. It's not driving enough power. Now how to do I rectify this?
I dunno how to rectify that.Let someone else help you here(ask Infra or choto cheeta).

wait you can try this:You said pendrive works fine...get hold of a pendrive....download DSL(damn small linux) or any other small linux distro(there are millions)....make a pendrive bootable with the ISO's....Install linux and then check whether HDD works or not.....if it not then its surely the power problem.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ashwin, did you check for any additional connectors on you WD hard disk for extra power? It most prolly is a problem with insufficient power.

Some of the external hard disks come with a dual headed usb A cable. One to transfer data and another one to suck in more power. But afaik, WD doesn't bundle such a cable. So see if you can somehow get hold of that cable and/or an external power adaptor for your external WD HDD (if it supports). Getting a USB 2.0 may be of some help.

To confirm if its the problem of insufficient power do this: Get hold of an external HDD which is a laptop HDD enclosed in a case (mebbe from your frenz). Ensure that its connector has dual head (i.e. there are 2 USB connectors on the cable to be connected to you system). Plug in only of them to the USB port, see if this problem can be replicated. If yes, then plug in the other one too and see if it solves the problem.

Last edited:

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
is it a laptop HDD? then u might require to attach one more usb cable to it for power supply. Older PCs don't provide enough power through single usb port.
It is same with transcend storeJet 2.5 usb cases...

Last edited:
OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Guys,
I've decided to d/l DSL and see what happens. I got confused with the number of things that were in list... can anyone please point out the URL I need to leech? Also I've never used Linux b4, so support and guide me as how to go about.

infra_red_dude -
I don't think anyone will have the Lappy HDD casing + lappy HDD. WD has only USB connectivity.

The_Devil_Himself-
I still don't have MacBook with me. Even if I did, I want this to work with my PC. I didn't try the WD in MacBook, it was a Dell 6400.

ashnik -
It's not a lappy HDD. It comes as a complete package.

Let's see what happens. I'll get the pen drive and distro tomorrow and test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom