how to configure BSNL home 500 on puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I have BSNL home 500 connection. My modem is ut300r2u. How to connect to the net. I have akready searched this forum. I couldn't find anything on this. Please help

Rahim

Married!
This is what i found on Puppy Linux Forum, hope it helps :)
Anil,

Welcome to the world of Puppy! I've been using Puppy as my daily working desktop since Dec 2005 and never looked back.

Ok, if you need to configure a BSNL USB modem, here are some steps that should work. Note that Puppy only got the required modules for these modems some time after 2.13 - I think 2.14, maybe? - and I've only used them with 2.17 and 3.00. So better to get one of the latter. These instructions are for 3.00; small change necessary for 2.17, can tell you if need be. These are the instructions that should always work, though not necessarily the fastest.

1. Make sure modem is plugged in and turned on.
2. In the Setup menu in Puppy, open "Network Wizard."
3. You should see a list of interfaces in the "interface" box (if you don't see any, don't worry).
4. Click on "Load module."
5. In the window that opens, click on the "More" tab on top.
6. Click on 'Specify" (it's possible "Auto-probe" would work, but not sure).
7. In the small box that comes up, type "cdc-ether" (without the quotes).
8. It should say "module cdc-ether loaded successfully." Click OK.
9. It should pop a box saying a new interface has been found. Say "Save."
10. When you are back in the main window, under Interfaces, a new button should be present (saying something "eth1" - number will vary). Click it.
11. Choose "Auto DHCP."
12. After a pause, you should get the "Network Configuration Successful" window. Click 'Yes" to save the configuration.

And you're on the Internet. It's not as complicated as it looks, and you only have to do it once - after that the settings will be saved. You may occassionally have to go into Network Wizard and ask it to DHCP again in case you lose the connection.

Finally if you are using a USB cable, a good idea is to switch to an Ethernet cable if you can - the connection is much more reliable and easier to configure both in Puppy and on other operating systems. Your modem probably has an ethernet port - you can get an Ethernet cable (network cable) easily in most cities; a short cable will be less than Rs. 100.

Broadband internet connection over Puppy Linux

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I have already seen the above and tried it. After the more, when Iit comes to entering the "cd-ether", puppy informs me that no new interface found!!!. Moreover, some other module loaded and my network card is shown as eth0. after that there was a connect button and I was able to connect also. But in the sea-monkey browser, sites were not opening. what could be wrong

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
I have already seen the above and tried it. After the more, when Iit comes to entering the "cd-ether", puppy informs me that no new interface found!!!. Moreover, some other module loaded and my network card is shown as eth0. after that there was a connect button and I was able to connect also. But in the sea-monkey browser, sites were not opening. what could be wrong

1. enter the ip address and the DNS in the control panel
  2. type 192.168.1.1 in the internet explorer address bar(username & password is both "admin" when the modem ask after typing the "192.168.1.1")
  3. go to the WAN option in the side choose the VPN value 0/35 column then click EDIT next-->select bridge mode-->next-->next-->then finish
  4. reboot the modem
  5. go to control panel select network option ,then in the side click "create new network" then select "manually configure" then -->next ,type your USERNAME and PASSWORD given by BSNL
  6. click next
  7. finish

ENJOY:p

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
@damngoodman999

I am talking about puppy linux and it is in open source. You are talking about internet explorer and windows.

Rahim

Married!
He has written about "Bridge" Mode for the router.

In PPoE Mode ,no need to dial, just open the browser and start surfing. If you have unlimited a/c like me then you should consider this mode rather than worrying about dialing all the time.
He is not referring to Windows or IE :) Use Firefox or any browser installed in Puppy Linux,simple.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
my router settings are already in bridge mode. I am not able to get the settings right for "puppy" linux. Can somebody give me guidance?

I did it. The bridge node was causing all the problem. I went to the router settings page and changed it to PPPoe mode. In Puppy, i clicked auto DHCP. Now I can browse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom