OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I was working in ITPL Whitefield for 2009-2011. The rent was 8k for the first year, 11k for second and 14k for the third. That's the way most of the landlords charge. Though I was a bachelor and lavish spending was rare, I hardly had any money to save or send back to family. You will get frustrated by the daily traffic problems, pollution, unavailability of clean drinking water (had to buy those big bottles every two days). If you plan to travel to your hometown once every six months or so, that would add to additional expenses- getting leaves, flight or train tickets all will add to the hassle.
Getting a proper house within your budget would also be a problem. If it isn't a furnished one, you need to buy all the stuff from furniture to appliances.
As you have said you are the sole bread-winner, living within the budget might get problematic. From the 9L, you have to spent at least 15k per month or 1.8L towards rent. 50k minimum for food and office commute. If you add shopping, grocery, travels, medical and other miscellaneous expenses, you are left with nothing to save.
There is nothing great to do in Bangalore city during the weekends apart from movies and malls. And it is not the same old cool and serene place that it used to be. Summers are too hot now.
I would suggest to wait for a year and try for better offers above 10L in Kolkata or even bangalore. You might miss your home and the awesome food of WB. I have moved to my native in Trivandrum, and trust me, nothing feels like home :)

BTW, loved your travelogues. Planning to visit Sikkim sometime this year.

Thank you for your detailed reply :)

Thank you everyone, for your help. Though I haven't yet decided anything yet, but I'll surely let you know you guys.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
How much is the variable amount ? Remove that and then decide.

9 lac will be pretty good but the room rent is like you have to pay 12 months security deposit. If you have savings then it will not be a problem.

Other than that I will not prefer Bangalore. Too much traffic and no planning at all. Get a flat near your work location if you plan to go there and don't wish to keep waiting for hours in traffic.

Btw grab the opportunity and work for an year then switch to another company. You should not decline if it's the best offer in hand. A mango in hand is worth two on the tree.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Sorry I forgot to update that after checking out lots of factors I had declined the offer.

Yes I always want to shift to Bangalore, but than variable amount was 1L. And I being the only bread-winner of the family it'd have been very tough to send money and save after surviving there with my wife.

bubusam13

Human
Good decision made by you :cool_NF: After increment you will be getting about 7L. That too at your home town.
9L in Bangalore (minus) 1L variable (minus) Your house rent = you will be at loss man. That too family man.

I was following your post for sometime and I am tempted to ask few questions of mine too. I am also thinking of moving to Bangalore. Though I have good work experiences in reputed IT companies, I have never been out of Guwahati. And also I don't know how to cook which is my biggest fear.
How much a PG should cost ? Or a rented house with a cook will be a good option ? Again is 9L a good salary of a unmarried person in Bangalore ?

Last edited:
OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
9L is really a good salary considering your family is not dependent on you.

I have also never been out of my hometown so I also don't know to cook. But that was not my fear. My situation was like even if I had to sleep in hunger I must send money to family for them to survive.

As far as I spoke with my friends who are in Bangalore, they said rent for 1BHK would be around 10k, and 2BHK can be done in 12-15k depending on area.

If you stay a bit out of town then its not a problem. The rents are exhorbitantly high nearby offices.

So everything depends on area where you are staying.

One of them has a cook who cooks for a group of 4 person twice daily and he takes 1200 per month.

Few said it depends on how you are planning i.e. the place from where you are buying vegetables and all.

Also, if you stay out of town, you must need a bike or scooty to survive as all of them vouched for the bad traffic in Bangalore which even leads to waiting for around 1hour at a signal.

So if you are staying out of town to get low rent then transport is an issue if you don't buy a bike or scooty to commute daily to office.

And PG rents they said to be around 7-8k with food or else 3-5k without food. Or another idea is to rent a 2BHK flat with friends and divide the amount.

So considering all the situations I'd say 9L package is great for a non family man considering below points...
1. You don't mind to stay away from your family.
2. You don't have urge to return to your hometown. As salary packages are very high in Bangalore many of my friends are stuck there as in Kolkata no one would offer them such salary for the experience. Let alone hike.
3. If you don't cook yourself or keep a cook who can cook food like your hometown then you don't mind having idli dosa or other south indian food for whole life. This was another concern for few of my friends. They don't have a cook neither they can cook themselves and they feel like dying to come back to Kolkata getting bored by south indians dishes everyday. Biriyani and all will never taste the same there. Even few of them told the idli dosa which they used to like in Kolkata is not same here in Bangalore.
4. Your family is not dependent on you. So you can save a lot, party harder.

Few advantages that I still see in moving to Bangalore is...
1. Oppurtunity. There's hell lots of oppurtunity.
2. Great work culture. Which is very very very bad here in Kolkata.

So other than these two almost everything is a disadvantage of moving to Bangalore.

P.S. The above views are of mine or from referencing my friends who are there in Bangalore. So it can vary from person to person.

So if you ask me, I'd anyday choose Bangalore over Kolkata given the right salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icebags

Technomancer
just go there, experience the original taste of idli dosa (they are different than bengali idli dosa i think). there is no point in living in the lions den :cat_NF: for the entire term of life.

if u are skilled enough, opportunities will come time to time.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Bangalore is absolutely great for single life! If u got the skillz u won't be single any more though.
However this city is going to hell rapidly.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
just go there, experience the original taste of idli dosa (they are different than bengali idli dosa i think). there is no point in living in the lions den :cat_NF: for the entire term of life.

if u are skilled enough, opportunities will come time to time.

That was not my problem. Though I don't know whether I'd start to miss my hometown and food once I leave it :p

Bangalore is absolutely great for single life! If u got the skillz u won't be single any more though.
However this city is going to hell rapidly.

Glad to be out of there. It's like a madhouse now.

Yeah many people are saying the same thing.

Ronnie012

Earthling
Good decision that you declined the offer. I'd say a package of around 15 lacks would've been good. With 9 lacs you'd face a tough time in benguluru.

In the meanwhile, look for opportunities in kolkata only.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Good decision that you declined the offer. I'd say a package of around 15 lacks would've been good. With 9 lacs you'd face a tough time in benguluru.

In the meanwhile, look for opportunities in kolkata only.

Yeah. That I realized. I was in Bangalore, Banerghatta Road to be specific, last week due to some medical treatment of my wife. So already got some idea :p

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Yeah. That I realized. I was in Bangalore, Banerghatta Road to be specific, last week due to some medical treatment of my wife. So already got some idea :p

That's one of two roads that leads to my colony. Both are equally horrible.
More here if you get 20++, this is very common if you have 5 years of experience.

20 is also starting pay for freshers from IITs, NITs, local colleges at the startups

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
More here if you get 20++, this is very common if you have 5 years of experience.

20 is also starting pay for freshers from IITs, NITs, local colleges at the startups

Yeah, but applying from Kolkata is really tough, as I can't attend face to face interviews

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

20k or 20L

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
20k or 20L

This year all companies will sync to 16L -24L, based on profile & college for engineers.
last year itself FK offered 24L, but stock crashed so hard, it actually turned out 20L.
the research division at my company gives 24L for them nerds from IITs, 17-18 for everyone else.

i am talking about fk,sd,amazon,ms,adobe,vmware... that's all I can remember, but this list is huge.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
This year all companies will sync to 16L -24L, based on profile & college for engineers.
last year itself FK offered 24L, but stock crashed so hard, it actually turned out 20L.
the research division at my company gives 24L for them nerds from IITs, 17-18 for everyone else.

i am talking about fk,sd,amazon,ms,adobe,vmware... that's all I can remember, but this list is huge.
those are top level MNC and will pick freshers from IIT, IIM only :nerd_NF:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
those are top level MNC and will pick freshers from IIT, IIM only :nerd_NF:

haha not really, they go to tier 2 colleges also, they get the lower end of the deal. more over if you have 1 year of experience, you can switch easily if you can clear the useless coding interview.

some of the engineers I know studied in crappiest colleges, but they are brilliant and are leaders and top coders. they all started small, and grew big in 5 years.

and some guys from IITs, that we so desperately wanted to fire, goes both ways.

Top Bottom