How do you spend your downtime at workplace?

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Hi guys,

In this thread, I would like to know how do you guys spend your downtime at your office? like browsing forums/news websites, facebook, watching videos ???

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hi guys,

In this thread, I would like to know how do you guys spend your downtime at your office? like browsing forums/news websites, facebook, watching videos ???

I don't usually get any down time. But whenever I get a chance, I try to interact with my teammates. Since as a developer we tend to engross ourselves deeply in the coding world. Many times it results in exhaustion. A bit of interactions/jokes and pranks (with the girls ;) ) tends to keep the mood in check.

Then since it's winter, I tend to go to sip some tea to the tea stalls located outside the company and sometimes just reading some newspaper while sipping tea in cafeteria.

I also try to increase my PR (pun for Pyar :D) with other colleagues of other teams too. Since it is necessary for your personal growth and to make contacts. Very important thing is to come out of your shell. ;)

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Lucky to be in a team where all teammates(5 of us) are close friends. So we hangout together whether downtime or during breaks. However, group members are becoming less and less ( moving away to better jobs ) .

Hrishi

This thread in nice. :mrgreen: , because honestly I have run out of ideas, for spending idle time at workplace.

I usually get around atleast 4-5Hrs(everyday) idle at my workplace out of 8hrx5days a week.
When I was new , I used to spend time procrastinating over Facebook .
But now I am damn bored from FB.
*Browse forums , like thinkdigit,xda,overclockers,physicsforums,etc.
*Flipkart,Ebay!!
*Read random articles related to my topic of interest .
*Spend some time sitting idle in chair and thinking about how life works ( you know all those mysterious theories , etc..etc..)
*Play chess , flash games , excel games , ( and all those type of games that can be passed in to hardened system.)
*Discussion with team members about who's going to be the next PM , blah..blah.
*Studying ( if bored with everything else.)
*Sleep for an hour at least.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
This thread in nice. :mrgreen: , because honestly I have run out of ideas, for spending idle time at workplace.

I usually get around atleast 4-5Hrs(everyday) idle at my workplace out of 8hrx5days a week.
When I was new , I used to spend time procrastinating over Facebook .
But now I am damn bored from FB.
1)*Browse forums , like thinkdigit,xda,overclockers,physicsforums,etc.
*Flipkart,Ebay!!
*Read random articles related to my topic of interest .
*Spend some time sitting idle in chair and thinking about how life works ( you know all those mysterious theories , etc..etc..)
*Play chess , flash games , excel games , ( and all those type of games that can be passed in to hardened system.)
*Discussion with team members about who's going to be the next PM , blah..blah.
*Studying ( if bored with everything else.)
2)*Sleep for an hour at least.

For me the last thing & first thing you mentioned suits well.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

With that much of time, you can invest it to learn new skills from Khan Academy or Codecademy or Udacity.

Hrishi

With that much of time, you can invest it to learn new skills from Khan Academy or Codecademy or Udacity.

The studying part I mentioned in the end involved it. ( Networking , learning programming , computer security ).
Had my hands on PHP,MySql , .NET C# , etc. It's just that since I don't work in a development profile , so I don't get to implement them.

I asked my manager to get an IDE and Cisco Packet tracer , installed on my workstation but unfortunately he denied it saying that the project doesn't demands it. And therefore it's not authorized.
Still I practice it through online IDEs. But they don't work much ( excpet for php ).

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
The studying part I mentioned in the end involved it. ( Networking , learning programming , computer security ).
Had my hands on PHP,MySql , .NET C# , etc. It's just that since I don't work in a development profile , so I don't get to implement them.

I asked my manager to get an IDE and Cisco Packet tracer , installed on my workstation but unfortunately he denied it saying that the project doesn't demands it. And therefore it's not authorized.
Still I practice it through online IDEs. But they don't work much ( excpet for php ).

what are working on then? if you are interested in programming and other things you should really try to learn and work on them and gain experience on them....

Hrishi

^It's not that I don't know about programming. I have worked on couple of languages and have studied them in academics as well ( since I am an BSc.IT grad.)
But getting hired as a fresher in software development is a problem. This year , in next couple of months , I am looking to join a development job itself because I am pissed off wasting time .

Currently I am working in IT Service Management and Application support environment , with ~3 yrs of exp. Now , I am planning to ditch this profile and move onto something more fruitful.

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
^It's not that I don't know about programming. I have worked on couple of languages and have studied them in academics as well ( since I am an BSc.IT grad.)
But getting hired as a fresher in software development is a problem. This year , in next couple of months , I am looking to join a development job itself because I am pissed off wasting time .

Currently I am working in IT Service Management and Application support environment , with ~3 yrs of exp. Now , I am planning to ditch this profile and move onto something more fruitful.

but you already have 3 years of exp in this field...you can switch to other platforms like .net, java or php?

also anyone here working on .net or other Microsoft technologies?

Hrishi

but you already have 3 years of exp in this field...you can switch to other platforms like .net, java or php?

also anyone here working on .net or other Microsoft technologies?
I am not having professional/work experience in any development project or job. I know how to programm and love it (.net / php) , but as a professional I never tried for a breakthrough. I have finally made up my mind this year , to go ahead and try , what can happen at worse.

My work experience lies in ITes Management. ( Service Desk LvL 2 ). and TBH , people in this realm are so stubborn and lazya$$ that they just don't want to do anything in life.

OP
R

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
In my downtime, I'm used to browse forums such as thinkdigit, anandtech, etc. I love reading news, so I read many articles from the Hindu and NDTV, and Google news. Twitter/Facebook are banned from using it in work hours, so there's no talk of it. I read some self-help ebooks written by Robin Sharma, Shiv Khera, and Rhonda Byrne. That's all. :D

Top Bottom