Home Basic shouldn't have been labeled Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
INTERNAL EMAILS reveal that some groups inside Microsoft warned against labeling the lowest-priced version of Windows Vista with the ‘Vista' brand name, because it might fall short of "user product expectations".

Documents made public in federal court today by plaintiffs in a class-action lawsuit, hoping to prove that the Home Basic version of Microsoft's operating system was more 'Vista Incapable' than "Vista Capable", were submitted to support the claim that the Vole misled consumers in the months leading up to Vista's release.

An internal Mighty-Soft e-mail from August 2005 noted "The recommendation of the Windows Product Management Group was that Home Basic should 'carry the Windows brand alone without the Vista generation name.'"

The peeved plaintiffs also claim that OEMs like Dell were none too pleased with Microsoft's decision to label the Home Basic version of the OS with the Vista tag.

The crux of the lawsuit seems to be the allegation that the Vole's Vista Capable programme hiked up prices of machines that could only run the most basic, lowest end edition of the OS. The plaintiffs also allege that Home Basic, despite what the Redmond giant says, is not the "real" Vista, largely because it does not include the Aero user interface...................................

Source: *www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/581/1050581/home-basic-shouldn-labeled-vista

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
This is ridiculous. I though there was more in than Vista than just Aero. Just because Aero is absent, it shouldn't have been termed as 'Vista'?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I am not sure I agree here. Doesn't Vista Home Basic have all basic things which are needed for a Windows OS?
After all Aero is only for aethestic purpose and doesn't really improve productivity much like Compiz.

P.S.: I actually haven't used Vista over forty minutes, but still it feels a little strange to not to call a Vista as Vista just due to lack of Aero.

Joke: Maybe it should be called Windows Mojave...

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
It's not just Aero.
You can see *www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx to find the features which are not available in home basic version and I am pretty sure that the list is longer.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
It's not just Aero.
You can see *www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx to find the features which are not available in home basic version and I am pretty sure that the list is longer.

Well most people dont need Media Centre.
Also, 3rd party apps do most of the rest of the "extras"

Personally if I have to dip my hands in Microsoft Windows now, Home Basic would suffice.

OP
T

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^The only plus point that M$ puts for windows home basic is More security. Then why should one spend $200 for just that when he can get almost the same features on XP and use security suites which are required in Vista as well.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
When Microsoft has already published a list of features that are available/not available in the different versions of Vista, then what's all the fuss about? It's called Home Basic for a reason, innit?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
After all Aero is only for aethestic purpose and doesn't really improve productivity much like Compiz.

Ahm???? What???

So having a preview of all the open windows instantly using Switcher (possible only when aero is enabled) or taskbar thumbnail, or GPGPU or WDDM(less GPU crashes) is not productive??? Have u been smoking weed???

It is named correctly. One of the company I went to in Bangalore were using Windows Vista Home basic (bundled with Dell Optiplex) for there workstation work cos all those PCs were used for was programming with 3 GB RAM. The PC for designers (3) were the only once using Home premium

narangz

Web developer
^^The only plus point that M$ puts for windows home basic is More security. Then why should one spend $200 for just that when he can get almost the same features on XP and use security suites which are required in Vista as well.

I don't use any firewall/anti spyware in my Windows Vista. I do have antivirus installed but I don't remember a single detection by it. I've also enable Windows Defender.

When Microsoft has already published a list of features that are available/not available in the different versions of Vista, then what's all the fuss about? It's called Home Basic for a reason, innit?

True. Basic version IS Vista. But the lawsuit was slapped coz OEMs labelled PCs Vista capable which were not capable to run Aero.

Aero isn't absent in Basic, tis disabled, enabling it is cake.
You can't enable glass effect & true Aero in Basic. Correct me if I am wrong.

Personally if I have to dip my hands in Microsoft Windows now, Home Basic would suffice.

I always recommend Home Premium.

T159 said:
IMO without Aero VISTA looks damn fugly

True :p That's the reason I don't recommend it. People will abuse the hell outta me :D

Last edited:

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
Home basic is fastest because it doesn't run Aero. Aero requires more RAM to function smoothly. And I would like to quote someone (Don't remember whom) "Vista without Aero is err... Windows XP". So, how about this name for Home basic : "Windows© XP in New Bottle® Edition".

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I agree, it looks like shite, especially the close/restore/minimize buttons. Why couldn't they just use the Aero-like buttons without the transperancy effects? :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom