Hindi games

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
^^ I don't think it's like that. If you look carefully in most of the game/movies Indians are either taxi drivers or are stereotyped in some or the other roles. But we don't seem to be so concerned about it.

Being stereotyped in less earning jobs is not a big deal. Because other countries have better dignity of labor than what most of the Indians are having.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Controversy or not... I can totally imagine roaming in Delhi or Mumbai in GTA.. what a fun it would be to drive cars on the streets of CP, or speeding on NH-24, sometimes in a crowded palika bazaar ... and sometimes along the shores of Marine Lines in Mumbai!
Wow.. what an idea noob!

But somebody have to take care of Sibel and Thakray first! :(
(intentionally spelt wrong)

Yup,Then he would say From now on We will censor Games to,Like when the person press "up arrow or w""Or kills anyone"we will see it,then he can see that happening in the computer :evil:

Trapdaar

Right off the assembly line
Fallout 3 didn't even got out in India. just because they had an mutilated cow like animal named 'Brahmin'.

Point is that it was done on Purpose, intended to offend.

Just so you know, Fallout 1 had cows named brahmin and chicken named Brahma etc. I and a lot of others feel that there was racist intent behind it.

Bethseda could have changed it, but they didn't.

There is no reason why we can't make Hindi games, speaking from a technology point of view. I work in a Indian game development company and I can tell you that there is only one reason why we haven't already done so:

Not enough people buying games in India. If we had a bigger market such that we could survive by selling games ONLY to Indians, we will see an explosion in games made in Indian languages.

You will be surprised to know, I think, that there are many Indian companies developing high quality games these days. But since the companies are small and don't have the money (and the manpower) to make AAA games, you don't hear about them in the gaming press.

For example, check these guys out (casual games for the PC):
IronCode Gaming Pvt Ltd.

Trapdaar

Right off the assembly line
Sure, many of them are.

In the end, it is all about intent. What is the purpose served by naming a mutilated cow 'brahmin'? None. Would the game have changed if it was named, something else, like 'Alkuajdadsd'? No.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think Indians need to become a little more broadminded and tolerant before any such games are made. Also, I think india must also do something revolutionary in the animation industry before it can move towards gaming. For example, if we take a look at japan, they conceived Anime and it became a significantly huge global phenomenon. Therefore, there is a huge number of titles that draw heavily on the anime style of art in japan and all over the world.

The point about the cows called "Brahmin" is a valid point too, since it hurts indian sentiments. Also note that Bethesda renamed the "Fat Man" to "Nuka Launcher" in the japanese version of Fallout 3, since "Fat Man" refers to one of the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But, I think it would be a little too expensive to dub all the dialogues again to incorporate whatever substitute they come up for "Brahmin". I mean it would not be feasible considering the relatively small indian gaming market.

Reactions: ico

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Sure, many of them are.

In the end, it is all about intent. What is the purpose served by naming a mutilated cow 'brahmin'? None. Would the game have changed if it was named, something else, like 'Alkuajdadsd'? No.
Same as that of "Jesus" and "Mary". Satire on religion? If Christians don't take offense on jokes on their religion why can't Hindus do too?
Offensive to religion it may be, but racism it is not.
Anyway if Bethseda really cared about the Indian market, they would have fixed it. It's all about economics.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Well, there have been a couple of Hindi games that I have played (for a couple of minutes, before closing it forever :p). Like, Yoddha : The Warrior, and Bhagat Singh.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Sure, many of them are.

Brahmin happens to be a major beef cattle in the US.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Now, almost all of you all have played the game...and even completed all quests etc. Did you all feel offended during any instance of the game? If your answer is yes, then why did you continue to play the game, you could've removed it immediately and smashed the disc. If your answer is no, that means that you don't give a damn.

Therefore, the only other people who give a damn are those who are non-gamers or lets say casual gamers, cause I don't think anyone who played the game actually gave a damn.

I expect some protests in the states now. :lol:

After all why would they name a cattle Brahman unless they want to be racists. :lol:

I think it was simply never meant to be released in India. Such a name would be received pretty decently in the US and other countries. And, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the indian gaming market pretty small, so its not worth the trouble to re-dub all the dialogues which contain "Brahmin"

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^^ And that you could "slaughter" cows in the game.

Not appearing in India: Fallout 3

The fact remains Indians are paranoid and way too sensitive. Everything is taken as "racist". Meh.

Obviously I suppose with the lack of money from gaming in India with the obscene level of piracy here would also cut any motivations to release a potentially controversial game.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
C'mon, now everyone is sensitive about virtual animals? We don't even give a damn if we slaughter virtual human beings. Also, the brahmins in Fallout 3 are not cows.

Cows = 1 head, Brahmin = 2 heads.

So, a brahmin is actually an abomination and not exactly the kind of cow you see everyday. Pretty much like humans and ghouls.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26636

I work in a Indian game development company and I can tell you that there is only one reason why we haven't already done so:

For example, check these guys out (casual games for the PC):
IronCode Gaming Pvt Ltd.

Where do you work? at Ironcode?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
In india everything finally translates to one motive and that it is money and earning.Anything has its ultimate goals in making profits.anyone dares to be different recieves a kick in their butt from society. People need just one more reason to demoralize each other and pulling each others leg. Just commit a mistake while dealing with a character of mythological game and you are all done with it then and there .hope nothing beyond it.

Moreover it is considered child's play to be interested in games. Of course doesn't apply to most of us people but u know what i am talking bout.

Careers in gaming is large way form coming into mainstream industry l anytime soon.

Big names in gaming dont consider making games on our country cause for them we and our culture is inferior to them UK/US. (for most of the part)

Dont complain if i am sounding too much cynical over this but this is the way it is.

sygeek

Technomancer
Tell Indians to buy the games first. Then only the gaming companies will really consider our local languages
If there's a proper straightforward service to buy such games with extreme ease, I'm sure most of them will buy the game provided of course, it is good enough.

Although I'd rather buy indie (indian) games instead. Hell, make it free?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok Yodha: The Warrior lol, remember that one
then there was also Ghajini - which is the closes to what you want... and Mein Prem Ki Diwani Hoon
Add the Doodle Jump/ Ra-One cross-over
Hanuman and Bhagat Singh . . . that about rounds it up, any one we missed?

Would be awesome to have an mmorpg based in India... maybe the classes can be Brahmins/Kshatriyas/Vaishyas and the races can be humans/vanar monkey/vanar bear and umm... Rakshas
the visual style should be like those old indian miniature paintings... wait lemme google one down yeah

*www.mcah.columbia.edu/dbcourses/dehejia/large/mughal_stronge02_036_062102.jpg

that... we would have awesome weapons, maces, clubs, swords, and maybe special rare items like diamond armour, or indravajra

would be spectacular, somebody should do it

Top Bottom