High-end gaming rig needed, budget very flexible!

ydalmia

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans:- Apart from using standard applications like MS office, I will be using the machine for games only. I am getting this rig just in time for Diablo 3, and will be playing that game a LOT. (I played D2 for years and years lol). Apart from that I am a big RPG fan, with recent favorites like Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Deus Ex HR, Mass Effect trilogy, Skyrim, Metro 2033. I will also play League of legends and Dota 2 on the machine from time to time. I just expect the machine to run everthing I can throw at it for a couple of years, at ultra specs at a decent enough framerate.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans:- I guess I am willing to spend around a Lac.

Edit: I think a Lac might not be enough for the rig I want lol.

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans:- No, stock will do just fine.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans:-Windows 7 x64 bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans:- 1tb will more than suffice.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans:- resolution will be 1080p, screen size around 27inch. I want something which can push a GTX 680/HD 7970 so basically the best or a very good one.
I dont care for the overpriced apple displays though, nor do i want/need the 3d capable ones.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans:- I am using a gaming laptop, so I will basically need everything, including peripherals. The only thing I don't need is speakers.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans:- As soon as possible.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans:- While I did build a couple of rigs myself years before, I would much prefer if a professional did the assembly. I can do it if needed though..

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans:-I live in Goa, and this is partly the problem. There aren't any suppliers here that I know of who sell such high end gear. Perhaps anyone on the forum can enlighten me about such a place? I don't mind buying online at all, just point me in the right direction, flipkart doesn't have most of the things I want. :(

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans:I kinda want the rig to be finished by 15th May so I don't miss a second of jumping into D3 with my bros haha. It isn't an issue if it is a bit late than that though. Also, I would be really grateful if someone can tell me a good supplier of PC components in Goa or Bombay who has most of the stuff I want/need, someone who can maybe assemble the whole thing, install windows 7 on it and maybe even ship it to me in Goa! It is okay if the shipping part isnt possible, I can get that done myself.'

Edit:- I absolutely do want either the GTX 680 GPU and the new i7s to be in the rig though

Last edited:

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
The gaming Performance between Core I5 and core I7 is very negligible. So you can get best Performance by pairing a core I5 with a high end GFX card than a Core i7 with a med GFX card.

d3p

PowerHouse
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i7 2600k|18000
CPU Cooler |ZALMAN CNPS9900A CPU Cooler |3600
Motherboard |ASUS P8Z77-V PRO|17000
RAM |Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL|3050
Graphic Card |Zotac GTX 680|34500
SSD |Corsair Force Series 3 180GB x 2 [RAID 0 Stripping Mode]|30000
HDD |WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB x 2 [RAID 0 Stripping Mode]|14000
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1150
PSU |Corsair AX1200w Gold |16000
Case |Corsair Obsidian 800D|11500
Monitor |Asus VK278Q Led Monitor|22000
Mouse |Razer DeathAdder Black|1950
Keyboard |Microsoft Sidewinder X4|2300
Mouse Pad |Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha L - Speed/Control|900
UPS |APC BR1500VA + Battery Pack|12000
| Total | 1,85,000.00

If this looks affordable then add another GTX 680 & two more Asus VK278Q.

Note: Price references were taken from Flipkart, MDcomputers.in & primeabgb.com.

Main highlights of the above Config :

1). You get an unlocked Processor, which can be Overclocked at moderate level using good Softwares & Extremely Clocked from BIOS, once you feel you need the extra juice.

2). The Stock Cooler, which is bundled with intel processors are not good enough. That's why the after market cooler is suggested here. On top this cooler can really kick most the BIG AIR Coolers including Noctua NH D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow or even Prolimatech Megahalems. Might be little noisy under full loads, i.e 35dBa. But won't compromise with the Cooling Capacity.

3). The motherboard suggested here, comes with latest Intel Z77 Chipset & supports the latest third generation i7 & i5 processors & also backward compatible with 2nd Generation i7,i5 & i3. It features 4 DIMM slots supporting upto 32GB of DDR3. It bundles with PCIe 3.0 & also backward compatible, supporting Quad SLI & Quad Crossfire along with Lucid Virtu. Comes with 3yrs of replacement warranty & a very much top notch Motherboard for the Price.

4). As Gaming is your Priority, 8GB is more than sufficient atm & later another 8GB can also be added.

5). Zotac GTX 680 is the only GTX 680 model available currently in india. You can find it from MDComputers.in [Kolkatta].

6). A Budget of 1lac+ & No SSD, doesn't make sense actually. Here you have RAID 0, which is much & much faster than any Conventional Mechanical HDD or Single SSD.

7). Same goes the WD Black RAID 0. They are the performance monsters when paired in RAID 0.

8). All you can get here is a Corsair AX1200w Gold Rated Power Supply, which can also power most of your future upgrades like SLI & Crossfire.

9). All of the above hardware needs a well ventilated Housing, which will also help you for your future upgrades. In short the obvious answer is a "FULL TOWER CABINET". Corsair Obsidian 800D is a beauty of both cooling & show off.

10). The overall config draws high amount of Power during full load & same way you need a Good Backup Power Source to keep them alive, during power cuts & shut down them safe. APC BR1500va along with a Spare Battery Pack, will be a real kicka$$ power source for the above config.

Last edited:
OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
Well the new i7-3770k is priced at 15.4k, seems like a good buy to me.

Intel - Intel Core i7-3770K : Intel CPU : Intel - Intel Core i7-3770K Price/Deals in India - Compare India

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
So , for 1 lakh , here we go.
INTEL CORE I5 2500K @12K
ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE Z @13K
G SKILL RIPJAWS 8 GB @ 3K
WD CAVIAR 1 TB HDD @5K
SEASONIC 1250W @17K
THERMALTAKE CHASER @ 13K
BENQ 27'' HD MONITOR @20K
HIS HD 7970 OR ASUS GTX 680 @ 35K AND 37K
RAZER ARCTOSA AND DEATH ADDER @ 5K
RAZER VEPSULA GAMING MOUSE PAD @ 1.7K
OCZ 240 GB VERTEX 3 SSD @ 20K
APC 1500VA UPS @ 10K
CORSAIR HYDRO H80 @6K

TOTAL @ 1.63 LAKH

If you are still not satisfied , Add another GTX 680 and the total will become 2 LAKH

Last edited:
OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i7 2600k|18000
CPU Cooler |ZALMAN CNPS9900A CPU Cooler |3600
Motherboard |ASUS P8Z77-V PRO|17000
RAM |Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL|3050
Graphic Card |Zotac GTX 680|34500
SSD |Corsair Force Series 3 180GB x 2 [RAID 0 Mode]|30000
HDD |WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB x 2 [RAID 0 Mode]|14000
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1150
PSU |Corsair AX1200w Gold |16000
Case |Corsair Obsidian 800D|11500
Monitor |Asus VK278Q Led Monitor|22000
Mouse |Razer DeathAdder Black|1950
Keyboard |Microsoft Sidewinder X4|2300
Mouse Pad |Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha L - Speed/Control|900
UPS |APC BR1500VA + Battery Pack|12000
| Total | BiG JOK3

If this looks affordable then add another GTX 680 & two more Asus VK278Q.

Do I really need an SSD? What kind of performance gains does it provide? Just faster boot/load times?
Also,

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
INTEL CORE I5 2500K 12K
ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE Z 13K
WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB 7k
Zotac GTX 680 35k
G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 16 GB (4 X 4 GB) 22k
(F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD)
Toughpower Grand 1050W 1050 Watts PSU 16k
Antec DF-35-AP Mid Tower Cabinet 8.5k
BENQ 27'' HD MONITOR 20k
Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD 9k
LG BH12LS38 Blu ray drive 6k
Cooler Master XtraFlo Cooler x2 1k

Total : 1.5 lakhs. Prices will be lower so this will work out to about 1.25~1.35 lakhs.

Last edited:

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
So , for 1 lakh , here we go.
INTEL CORE I5 2500K @12K
ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE Z @13K
G SKILL RIPJAWS 8 GB @ 3K
WD CAVIAR 1 TB HDD @5K
SEASONIC 1250W @17K
THERMALTAKE KANDALF @ 13K
BENQ 27'' HD MONITOR @20K
HIS HD 7970 OR ASUS GTX 680 @ 35K AND 37K
OCZ 240 GB VERTEX 3 SSD @ 20K
APC 1500VA UPS @ 10K
CORSAIR HYDRO H80 @6K

TOTAL @ 1.63 LAKH

If you are still not satisfied , Add another GTX 680 and the total will become 2 LAKH

Stop suggesting configurations which are way outta OP's budget.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans:- I guess I am willing to spend around a Lac.

Edit: I think a Lac might not be enough for the rig I want lol.

Mention this properly. 1 Lakh? 2 Lakhs? Decide and edit the post accordingly. BTW for 1 Lakh you can put up a beastly rig for sure.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
For 1 LAKH , it will be beast .
For 2 LAKH , it will be monster.

@d3p
ASUS GTX 680 is also available for the past one month.
Get it here.
Theitdepot - Asus Geforce GTX680 2GB DDR5 NVidia PCI E Graphics Card (GTX680-2GD5)

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Ok . I agree. But where in india is md computers. Are they reliable

OP says that, a Lac might not be enough for
the rig I want lol. So it can be 1 LAKH or 2 LAKH.
So me and d3p and NoasArcAngel suggested best config . But OP has to mention the exact price range . And then we can give him the config for the price He wants .
@d3p
Where is the template for the configuration you are using.

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
INTEL CORE I5 2500K 12K
ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE Z 13K
WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB 7k
Zotac GTX 680 35k
G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 16 GB (4 X 4 GB) 22k
(F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD)
Toughpower Grand 1050W 1050 Watts PSU 16k
Antec DF-35-AP Mid Tower Cabinet 8.5k
BENQ 27'' HD MONITOR 20k
Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD 9k
LG BH12LS38 Blu ray drive 6k
Cooler Master XtraFlo Cooler x2 1k

Total : 1.5 lakhs. Prices will be lower so this will work out to about 1.25~1.35 lakhs.

Thanks for the replies all, and sorry for creating the confusion. My budget in mind is basically 1L and I can maybe stretch it if I think I need to compromise a lot. The above config seems like the best fit for me, and is around the range i want. I had some questions though.

1) What's the main difference between the Asus P8Z77-V and the one listed?
I am not planning to overclock the CPU at all, and I doubt I will be going for a SLIed 680, seems overkill.

2) Is it possible to get all this gear from one single shop or vendor? A shop in Bombay/Bangalore/Goa would be the best, can anyone refer me to a trusted shop?

@ Sainatarajan: Most review peg the GTX 680 higher, and there is barely a price difference. Does the 7970 offer any advantages over the 680?

Last edited:

dfcols71

In the zone
gtx 680 are available here also
GV-N680D5-2GD-B GIGABYTE Hard-Core Gaming Series
GeForce GTX 680 - TechXtreme.in
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 2 GB - Hardwire.in
Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 2 GB - Hardwire.in

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
Can someone please point me towards a trusted shop in Bombay/bangalore who supplies most of this equipment? I don't think I have the patience or the time to buy all of these goodies one by one!

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
The main reason for getting an SSD is ultra fast boot up and good performance

You can visit prime abgb on lamington road in mumbai if i am not wrong

I guess thats an earlier release motherboard. There will not be any major difference because both are nearly enthusiast motherboards.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
In some games the HD 7970 is superior than the GTX 680 . But in some games the GTX 680 is superior than the HD 7970 .
So the choice is upto You my friend.

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
So this is the config I have decided upon after reading all the valuable inputs given by you guys.

CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2500K

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 Chipset Motherboard

Hard Disk:WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB/2TB depending on availability

GPU:Zotac GTX 680

RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

PSU:Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W

Cabinet: Antec DF-35-AP Mid Tower Cabinet

Monitor: Asus VK278Q LED monitor

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD

DVD drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner

Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900A LED CPU COOLER ( is this needed if i dont overclock?)

UPS: APC BR1500VA

Mouse/Keyboard:RAZER ARCTOSA AND DEATH ADDER

Any potential bottlenecks in the above system? Conversely, any potential to save money without sacrificing significant performance?

Top Bottom