High-end gaming rig needed, budget very flexible!

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Lets get some facts right

for a 680 paired with i7 16gb ram 250gb hdd ssd dvd and rest
will gulp about 370 watt. so Recommeded PSU will be a 650W which will leave some head room for OCing.

For a 680x2 it will be somewhere around 600 Watts
so a 1000 W psu is recommended

All figures under LOAD (max load as the game is metro 2033)

Source: Anandtech reviews

This is what i am suggesting to op plus he will be running a hdd and some case fans so 700w is pretty good then

And max tdf of gtx is 195w board power is around 230w have suggested op to go in for a 1000w psu in case of sli in future

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
I wonder if you are ok with this suggestion

but for 1080p a 7870 is more than sufficient for now.
After you either hit a bottleneck or when 7870 becomes cheaper you can
xfire, The cost will be same as to what you will pay for 680 NOW.
This way you get way better performance, without sacrificing anything

also is VFM and a better Investment IMO(given money spent is same)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Lets get some facts right

for a 680 paired with i7 16gb ram 250gb hdd ssd dvd and rest
will gulp about 370 watt. so Recommeded PSU will be a 650W which will leave some head room for OCing.

For a 680x2 it will be somewhere around 600 Watts
so a 1000 W psu is recommended

All figures under LOAD (max load as the game is metro 2033)

Source: Anandtech reviews

Let me come to some facts:
One of my friends who is profession animator, runs 2x GTX680s, 2600K @4GHz, Xonar DX, 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex3, 2x 1TB HDD with a Corsair HX850 (80+ gold) without any problem.
This means, one CAN run 2x 680s with a very good 850 Watt PSU.
1000Watt PSU will give OP space for some future upgradation like adding a Phyx card, which is very unlikely. So, the final decision will depend on th budget.

Last edited:

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Les come to some facts:
One of my friends who is profession animator, runs 2x GTX680s, 2600K @4GHz, Xonar DX, 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex3, 2x 1TB HDD with a Corsair HX850 (80+ gold) without any problem.
This means, one CAN run 2x 680s with a very good 850 Watt PSU.
1000Watt PSU will give OP space for some future upgradation like adding a Phyx card, which is very unlikely. So, the final decision will depend on th budget.

True that.

But someone posted some formula of 1.5 times the TDP(which is not the way i go) so, that is reflected, as you can see with the max wattage reaching 600 as mentioned...a 850W is the logical choice

dfcols71

In the zone
ssd -240 gb -not adviced ,as it is ssd prices are falling.
If you need one-120gb is enough,intel,ocz or corsair,minimum sata 3
cabinets any of these 4
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - NZXT Switch 810 - CA-SW810-B1 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, SD card reader, 4x 140mm fans, 420mm radiator support, full coverage fan filters, I/O panel lighting, and hard drive hot swap
enquire in primeabgb

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
Thnks again for the help all, here is another iteration! and it just keeps on getting more and more expensive!

CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2500K or the i7- 3770 if available at a decent price.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4

Hard Disk:WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB

GPU:Asus GTX 680

RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 8GB RAM F3-17000CL9Q-8GBZH (2GBx4)

PSU: Antec Quattro 850W

Cabinet: Antec DF-85 Full Tower Dark Fleet Case ( Do I need this or will the DF-35 suffice? will not go for OC or SLI)

Monitor: Dell Ultra Sharp U2412M 24" Monitor

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD

DVD drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner

UPS: APC BR1500VA

Keyboard:RAZER Black widow ultimate

Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7

Mouse Pad: Razer Megasoma Gaming Mouse Mat

dfcols71

In the zone
keyboard- Razer Arctosa Rs. 2510 or tvs gold mechanical TVS-e TVS-e Gold Bharat PS/2 PS/2 Keyboard Rs. 1733
mouse-Cooler Master Spawn MouseRs. 2293 or Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400 Rs. 1699 or Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Mouse (Black)
(For PC) Rs. 2510
mousepad-Razer Goliathus - Fragged Alpha Mouse Pad - Speed
(For PC)-Rs. 929 or CMStorm CS-M FPS Tactics DC
(For PC)Rs. 649 or Steelseries QCK Mass (M) Rs. 719

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
keyboard- Razer Arctosa Rs. 2510 or tvs gold mechanical TVS-e TVS-e Gold Bharat PS/2 PS/2 Keyboard Rs. 1733
mouse-Cooler Master Spawn MouseRs. 2293 or Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400 Rs. 1699 or Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Mouse (Black)
(For PC) Rs. 2510
mousepad-Razer Goliathus - Fragged Alpha Mouse Pad - Speed
(For PC)-Rs. 929 or CMStorm CS-M FPS Tactics DC
(For PC)Rs. 649 or Steelseries QCK Mass (M) Rs. 719

Nah, I do not want to cut any corners as far as keyboard and mouse are concerned. I am going for the Black widow ultimate because it is a mechanical keyboard with great feel and is properly backlit. The R.A.T 7 is fully customized, much better than the Razer mamba which my bro uses.

check out this youtube review of the RAT 7 *www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDY3k-7dr1o

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
True that.

But someone posted some formula of 1.5 times the TDP(which is not the way i go) so, that is reflected, as you can see with the max wattage reaching 600 as mentioned...a 850W is the logical choice

that is the correct way to go. the rule of thumb is to have additional power available to the system so that it may run at 50% of max power output this way you guarantee stable system operation. This is because usage under load increase than the rated tdp by the manufacturer.

1. why you should totally go for i7-3770k
AnandTech - The Intel Ivy Bridge (Core i7 3770K) Review

2. The antec DF 35 has 4 case fans and that is pretty good. the only draw back is that it does not have usb 3.0 if you want that have a look at this :
Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Mid Tower Cabinet

3. In case you really want to go for 850w psu then change to corsair, get the
a.Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2UK 850 Watts PSU
or
b.Cooler Master GX 750W 750 Watts PSU
or
c.Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W 850 Watts PSU (best PSU)

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
Thnks again for the help all, here is another iteration! and it just keeps on getting more and more expensive!

CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2500K or the i7- 3770 if available at a decent price.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4

Hard Disk:WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB

GPU:Asus GTX 680

PSU: Antec Quattro 850W

Cabinet: Antec DF-85 Full Tower Dark Fleet Case ( Do I need this or will the DF-35 suffice? will not go for OC or SLI)

Monitor: Dell Ultra Sharp U2412M 24" Monitor

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD

DVD drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner

UPS: APC BR1500VA

Keyboard:RAZER Black widow ultimate

Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7

Mouse Pad: Razer Megasoma Gaming Mouse Mat

Have placed the order for the above rig, only change was the Corsair 850W PSU as antec was not available. Will post pics when it arrives and is assembled. Thanks for the invaluable help all!

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
Do you guys think I will need a CPU cooler with this setup? someone said that air coolers do not do much, and I am not sure why stock CPUs/GPUs would need one, but still some advice on this would be nice. I would much prefer coolers who are more or less noise free.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
sandy bridge bundle coolers(are crap IMO) will not help you if you do not have ac. if you have budget try to squeeze a hyper 212 evo

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
I do have ac in the room, stay quite chilly in there. I will order one cooler though.

No danger of harming anything if I run it without a cooler right? Why will intel bring out CPUs which fail under normal stress conditions?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^ You should buy a CPU cooler.
About your last question, nowadays Intel don't care for CPU cooler.

dfcols71

In the zone
i would suggest you to change
a)the motherboard to-gigabyte z77 ud5h-18500/-
b)ssd-force 3 gt 120gb-9500/-
if you are going with d3p suggestions

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
visited your thread after couple of days. The rig you've ordered is showing

Why getting four 2 GB sticks and covering all the Ram slots? Instead get 4GBX2.

Top Bottom