High-end gaming rig needed, budget very flexible!

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
1. you should opt for installing 2gb x 4 ram sticks to give maximum performance.
2. PSU efficiency >90% .. this PSU will not cut it. Never under power your system.
4. i dont think an aftermarket cooler is really necessary since you dont want to overclock. Even if you wanted to overclock air cooling makes no sense unless you have the ac on all the time near the pc.

For PSU suggest you take a look at some other alternatives :

Corsair CMPSU-1050HXUK 1050 Watts PSU 15k
or
Antec TPQ-1200 1200 Watts PSU 15.3k (better choice)

best will obviously either be
thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W 1050 Watts PSU 16k
OR
Corsair AX1200w Gold 16000

You should keep a bd drive just in case you want to watch the occasional movie...

Well the new i7-3770k is priced at 15.4k, seems like a good buy to me.

Intel - Intel Core i7-3770K : Intel CPU : Intel - Intel Core i7-3770K Price/Deals in India - Compare India

check the benchmarks against i5 2500 if better then go for i7-3770k

Change your mother board to : ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 Motherboard .. save 13k

RAM : G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2 GB PC RAM (F3-10666CL9S-2GBXL) 2gb x 4 3.2k

or

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) PC RAM (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) 2gb x 4 3.6k

dfcols71

In the zone
i cant understand why going for 1000 watt smps you are not into tri sli gtx680,
850 smps is more than enough corsair or seasonic
for mother board you can have a look,
many computer forums sites to decide on your mb.
i dont think you will get i7 3770k in india @15.4k lowest price is 21k

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
yes yes .... total sadness if i7 3770k is for 21 k get cooler master 850w "gold power" psu and get the i7 it is definitely worth the price difference.

The 1000w psu is for future, if op ever wants to upgrade on gpu performance then he can go in for second / third gpu without spending much and still have a very powerful rig,

Last edited:

Carl

Broken In
Here's a good AMD rig suggestion from me.

Chassis : Gigabyte 3d Mercury @ 21k
Proc : Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3GHz @ 9.8k
Mobo : ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX @ 13.75k
GPU : XFX Radeon HD 7970 DD Double Dissipation Black Edition @ 33.1k
Memory : OCZ Reaper 12GB (3 x 4GB)DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz @ 18.7k
HDD : 2x Western Digital VelociRaptor 600 GB 10000 RPM @ 11.2k Each
PSU : Seasonic X-Series 850w 80+ Gold @ 12k
Monitor : 24" AOC e2440Vh LED @ 10.8k
Total = 141550

If you don't want AMD then you can get the RAM('cause for me it's the best DDR3 around even for the price) and I'd suggest to also get my PSU and the HDD and lastly go for Coolermaster V6GT.

Last edited:
OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
i cant understand why going for 1000 watt smps you are not into tri sli gtx680,
850 smps is more than enough corsair or seasonic
for mother board you can have a look,
many computer forums sites to decide on your mb.
i dont think you will get i7 3770k in india @15.4k lowest price is 21k

I used a PSU calculater (*extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp) for the rig that I mentioned and it said that the PSU rating I need is a mere 450W! now that can't be right..Btw if I do think about SLI config later on(doubtful) will 850W still be enough? Also, I think I will be going for the Intel i7-3770 if I can find it.

@Noasarcangel: Choosing the mb is kind of tough, will the p8z68 be good enough for this system?

@Carl: I dont see the benefit of moving towards an AMD based system. The Nvidia GPU is better, and people are telling me that investing in a much faster/more expensive CPU isn't really worth it for gaming.I barely use any other CPU intensive apps apart from the occasional photoshop and AutoCAD. And it isn't cheaper. Also, according to what google tells me, RAM bandwith will have no effect on gaming
performance( after a certain point).

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
850 w is more than enough for SLI and XFIRE. Dont go for I7 3770K . Are you going to do heavy video Rendering and heavy multitasking? IF you do , go for I7 3770K. I5 2500K is rated as the best gaming processor. Save some bucks and spend for other Components.

Carl

Broken In
Phenom X6 1100 is 2.2k cheaper than the i5 2500k and I can't agree to you that GTX 680 is better than 7970. By the way I'm not talking about the regular 7970...as you can see on my suggestion it's XFX Black Edition.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
@ carl
OP dont need a six core processor for MS OFFICE and high end games. HE need a fast quad core processor and nothing can beat the I5 2500K.

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
Phenom X6 1100 is 2.2k cheaper than the i5 2500k and I can't agree to you that GTX 680 is better than 7970. By the way I'm not talking about the regular 7970...as you can see on my suggestion it's XFX Black Edition.

Ahh my bad, for some reason i read the X6 1100's price as 21k! Also, would you be kind enough to point me towards a comparison between the XFX Blackedition and the GTX 680?

So basically here is the new list. Contacted primeabgb and they say that they have everything available!

CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2500K

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 Chipset Motherboard

Hard Disk:WD Caviar Black Sata III 1TB/2TB depending on availability

GPU:Asus GTX 680 (abgb has one in stock for 34k, no zotac available)

RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 8GB RAM F3-17000CL9Q-8GBZH (2GBx4)

PSU: Antec Quattro 850W

Cabinet: Antec DF-35-AP Mid Tower Cabinet

Monitor: Asus VK278Q LED monitor

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD

DVD drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner ( I don't need a BD player since the house has a dedicated home theater)

UPS: APC BR1500VA

Keyboard:RAZER Lycosa

Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7

Any other feedback?
Will order it in a couple of days, and will post pics as soon as it is ready!

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@OP: When you are spending so much on the rig, why not get a better SSD? Corsair Force GT or OCZ Vertex 3 or Kingston HyperX? All these are available in PrimeABGB afaik.

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
@OP: When you are spending so much on the rig, why not get a better SSD? Corsair Force GT or OCZ Vertex 3 or Kingston HyperX? All these are available in PrimeABGB afaik.

Reviews say that there is barely any difference between the Force GT and the Force 3, I may still go for the Force GT since the price differntial isn't that high as well..

*www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-Force-3-vs-Force-GT-120-GB-Solid-State-Drive-Review/1367/7

dfcols71

In the zone
for the monitor and mobo i dont recommend ,besides you can look at these reviews
Asus VK278Q - PC & Tech Authority
Six $160-220 Z77 Motherboards, Benchmarked And Reviewed : Z77 Express: The Perfect Replacement For Older Machines

OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
for the monitor and mobo i dont recommend ,besides you can look at these reviews
Asus VK278Q - PC & Tech Authority
Six $160-220 Z77 Motherboards, Benchmarked And Reviewed : Z77 Express: The Perfect Replacement For Older Machines

Thanks for the help! The mb review helped a lot, but none of the competing mobos are available at abgb..please let me know a good alternative!

How about Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 Motherboard I found on flipkart?
Flipkart: Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 Motherboard: Motherboard

As for the Asus, what would be a better buy, the Benq GL2750HM? That has fairly average reviews too..
Or the Samsung S27A550H? I am worried that it may not be the best monitor for gaming though!

Edit:- Samsung has higher end monitors too, but none available in India I think.

Edit 2:- If someone can be kind enough to tell me the best 24-30inch monitor available then that would be great. After a lot of googling, I cannot find anything good!

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
first thing i would like to make clear to op is that there is no way that a gtx 680 will run on a 450w psu. Please google gtx 680 power requirement as listed by nvidia for the stock edition. Secondly plz check the benchmarks of the core i7 3770k on anandtech not only is it less power consuming but also beats the core i5 2500k for gaming by a large margin. Thirdly there is a lot of misconception about psu. Suppose a psu is rated at 1000w and efficiency is rated at 90% then the actual power delivered is 1000w but it will draw extra energy from socket and increase heating so please tabulate the total power reuirement in tdf and multiply that by 1.5 that gives you the power you should have and select a psu according to that

also @op the you can check out alienware monitors by dell, if you plan to sli later i suggest get a 1000w psu and dont get too confused about the motherboard there is no point because you dont plan to overclock and the features on nearly all of these boards remains the same

you should probably get some case fans to keep the system cool

do you really need the rat 7 mouse? I would suggest unless you want to play fps or rpg get a xbox 360 controller instead trust me its much better.

Incase op dont need a sli setup in future opt for 700w psu

Last edited:
OP
Y

ydalmia

Broken In
first thing i would like to make clear to op is that there is no way that a gtx 680 will run on a 450w psu. Please google gtx 680 power requirement as listed by nvidia for the stock edition. Secondly plz check the benchmarks of the core i7 3770k on anandtech not only is it less power consuming but also beats the core i5 2500k for gaming by a large margin. Thirdly there is a lot of misconception about psu. Suppose a psu is rated at 1000w and efficiency is rated at 90% then the actual power delivered is 1000w but it will draw extra energy from socket and increase heating so please tabulate the total power reuirement in tdf and multiply that by 1.5 that gives you the power you should have and select a psu according to that

also @op the you can check out alienware monitors by dell, if you plan to sli later i suggest get a 1000w psu and dont get too confused about the motherboard there is no point because you dont plan to overclock and the features on nearly all of these boards remains the same

you should probably get some case fans to keep the system cool

do you really need the rat 7 mouse? I would suggest unless you want to play fps or rpg get a xbox 360 controller instead trust me its much better.

Incase op dont need a sli setup in future opt for 700w psu

An xbox 360 controller is worse than a roller ball mouse! and 850 w system will do just fine for this setup! I agree about what you say about motherboards, I am just looking for the cheapest possible mb which gives me the same performance as far as gaming is concerned. RAT 7 is the best, I have used it before on a friend's system, and it rocks, best mouse in the market that i know of by far. I play RPGs exclusively, and will be playing FPS/TPS/Platformers/etc and an ergonomic mouse is a must!

About the power supply, I know that a 450W supply will not be sufficient, I was just pointing out what the calculater told me! I am waiting for a reply on what the 3770 actually costs, if the cost difference isn't too much then I surely will go for it. otheriwse 2500k will do the job just fine.

Edit: even if I go by the formula that you told me, then the power required is:

450/0.9= 500*1.5= 750w. Which is still less than 850w

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
So many rigs, hell lot confusion!

CPU- 2600k - 17,800

CPU Cooler - CM hyper 212 evo - 2233 (Yes, you will need it even if you don't OC)

Mobo - Asus P8Z77 M Pro - 12206 (If not OCing, then why spend much on MB)

GPU - Zotac GTX 680 - 34500

RAM - Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - 3050

HDD - WD Black 1TB - 8000 (I don't see any point going RAID hassle-way)

SSD - Corsair Force 3 240GB - 21k

PSU - Corsair Tx850v2 - 8200

Cabinet as you wish!

Monitor - Asus VK278Q - 22000

Mouse - Logitech g400 - 1700

KB - Sidewinder X4 / Razer Arctosa - 2200/3500

UPS - APC BR1500VA 12k

Total will come around 1.30L (or even lower).

dfcols71

In the zone
for monitors you could go with any of these ,which everone suits your budget
Asus PA238Q 23 Inch LED Monitor
Dell Ultra Sharp U2412M 24" Monitor
Dell UltraSharpTM U2711 27"***On Demand
for motherboard if your are not overclocking heavily/mild overclock
Buy "MB Asrock Sandy Bridge Z77 Extreme4 1155 Pin Boxed " @ iTerials in Bangalore
GIGABYTE GA-Z77P-D3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
incase you want heavy overclocks,you may enquire about these from computer hardware distributers
1.asrock z77 extreme6
2.gigabyte z77 ud3h
3.msi z77 gd65
4.gigabyte z77 ud5h available @hardwire but in india it vfm is not worth it-18450
5.asus z77 vpro

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
this is why i said 700w psu will do the job no need to surge on the psu. Just keep in mind that another 2 years you will not spend 1 lakh on a new rig so it will be more economical to sli later and that will give you enough power for another 2 years or so. And for the motherboard choose standard make asus/gigabyte etc. Check i7 3770k benchmarks

higher efficiency psu means lower heat and quieter system. And longer component life

also in sli the gtx 680 will require more than 2x195w so the power for gpu only works out to about 450w

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Lets get some facts right

for a 680 paired with i7 16gb ram 250gb hdd ssd dvd and rest
will gulp about 370 watt. so Recommeded PSU will be a 650W which will leave some head room for OCing.

For a 680x2 it will be somewhere around 600 Watts
so a 1000 W psu is recommended

All figures under LOAD (max load as the game is metro 2033)

Source: Anandtech reviews

Top Bottom