hibernate problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

serendipiti

Journeyman
my sys specs are:pIII 966Mhz,Intel 810e mobo with on board graphics,256MB SD RAM,15 GB+ 80GB HDD and am running win XP Pro SP 2.
I normally don't shut down my comp instead i use the hibernate option.
Today suddenly when i put my comp on hibernate,on resuming i saw that i was led to the OS choice menu(rather than the familiar resume screen when resuming from hibernate).I rebooted and again hibernated but this problem did'nt go away...in fact the "enable hibernate"option is checked in the "power Options "settings and even the "Standby"button changes to "Hibernate" when I press the Shift key when pressing the Shut Down button and the comp in fact shows"Hibernating",but when I press the power button,I am again led to the "OS Choices Menu" and have to restart again.
Please help as I really can't do without the Hibernate feature!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Dude, exactly i dont know the soln to ur problem, but i want to add that everytime to hibernate, the last setting and other stuffs are saved in ur HDD. so every time u hibernate it keeps on saving the last thing and oops now it cant take in anymore....

I really dont use the hibernatation, only if i really want to boot after a short period of time i do so.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
dude looks like ur Hybernation Data C:\hyberfile.sys is corrupted.... here C:\ is ur main drive... its by default hidden... so unhide all files first... okay...

try to delete it... hmmm... as its system file so i don't think you'll be able to delete it... 'coz its in "always use" by windows...

ok.. do this...

disable hybernation from run > powercfg.cpl

reboot....

now enable.... it...

reboot....

now try to hybernate...

what it will do actually is create a new Hybernation Data.... try this, hopefully it shud wrk... if not.. then report backhere ;-)

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm.. After you delete your Hibernition data, CheckDisk and then Defrag your Windows drive ... When the Defrag finishes the data in your drive will be relocated so the chance of Hiberfill.sys in getting the same portion of drive will be minimized ... Try it ..

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
as suggested by batty .. may be ur drive is just too fragmented ..
you can try to defragment your hibernate.sys file using PageDefrag
its a small utility using which you can defragment your pagefile, hiberfil.sys and other system files which other defragmentors donot touch

-----
alibi

chetan

Broken In
hi
1stcheck hibernetfile then scanthat file &else u have aback up then run it or that from power option is i think right way but why not proper i cant get it

OP
S

serendipiti

Journeyman
Solved

well guys thx for ur mails but i decided to do a sys restore(had 2 reinstall a coupla apps though!)and hibernate's working fine.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
c:\hyberfil.sys dosent exist!
edit: Sorry :oops: had to eneble view hidden system files and not only hidden files..
yea ,i jus delted the file and enebled hibernation.
btw
its hyberfil.sys...
loadsoff ppl confused me by hiberfil.sys and hibefile.sys!!

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
ShekharPalash said:
dude looks like ur Hybernation Data C:\hyberfile.sys is corrupted.... here C:\ is ur main drive... its by default hidden... so unhide all files first... okay...

try to delete it... hmmm... as its system file so i don't think you'll be able to delete it... 'coz its in "always use" by windows...

ok.. do this...

disable hybernation from run > powercfg.cpl

reboot....

now enable.... it...

reboot....

now try to hybernate...

what it will do actually is create a new Hybernation Data.... try this, hopefully it shud wrk... if not.. then report backhere ;-)

Its hibernate,hibernation and hiberfil.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom