Help required for WiFi router

masterkd

Padawan
I need to buy an WiFi router for my Alliance Broadband (local) connection.

Budget: Rs. 3000 max

Requirements:
  • The router needs to cover around 1000 sq feet house single floor.
  • Like to have a gigabit and N router

Please suggest me some models.

I was thinking to go for Netgear JNR3000 N300 Gigabit Router as this one is gigabit router.

Last edited:

mitraark

Decrepit
I was going to make a similar thread in just a few days, i need the same thing, although is 1Gbit router really necessary ?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Gigabit is not really required in most of the cases. If you really think you got the bandwidth exceeding 100 mbps then go ahead, otherwise not.

Any other specific requirements?

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
I was thinking to go for that one only because it is gigabit

Also forgot to mention other requirements, I apologize. Updated the original post.
  • The router needs to cover around 1000 sq feet house single floor.

setu4993

Journeyman
I'm using the TP-Link TLWR841N, bought it 4-5 months ago, locally (Lamington Road, Mumbai) for 1500. And I can say without hesitation that it's a great router.

It covers 1000 sq. ft. very easily. Also, it's extremely easy to set-up.

Buy this. You won't regret it.

pmoff

Broken In
I'm using the TP-Link TLWR841N, bought it 4-5 months ago, locally (Lamington Road, Mumbai) for 1500. And I can say without hesitation that it's a great router.

It covers 1000 sq. ft. very easily. Also, it's extremely easy to set-up.

Buy this. You won't regret it.

It seems a good one with the price tag. I have an MTNL broadband connection with CPE modem. Will this router be compatible?
Also tell me whether there is parental control?
And whether going for only a router over a modem+router is fine precisely because i do have the MTNL modem.

Thank you for your kind reply.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
It seems a good one with the price tag. I have an MTNL broadband connection with CPE modem. Will this router be compatible?
And whether going for only a router over a modem+router is fine precisely because i do have the MTNL modem.

Yes it'll be fully compatible. Regarding parental controls, openDNS is always there.

As far as modem + router combo is concerned, taking both separately is always better, at least I can say this from my experience.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
are you talking about TP-LINK TL-WR841N Router?

IMO, cheap router for you as you ahve 3K to buy the router.

Get Asus RT-N13U @~2.6K and be happy.
Suggested because:
1. in your budget,
2. dd-wrt supported (biggest +ve)
3. USB port (means downloading without PC, and shared printer)

To download without PC you need to request your ISP to activate PPPoE for your account.

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
I don't think I require Asus RT-N13U as I'm not gonna use dd-wrt much (may be not at all, the feature is awesome but don't have enough time to play with it).
USB port is a plus but have very little impact for me. Lastly ASUS router == still Rashi for Kolkata (afaik), so that's a no go.
I was ready to spend 3k only because of gigabit router as I share lots of huge files from my desktop via wifi frequently but I don't have any idea if I will get much better file transfer speed or not.
So for other features for the router I would like to stay within 2k.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
IMO, cheap router for you as you ahve 3K to buy the router.

Get Asus RT-N13U @~2.6K and be happy.
Suggested because:
1. in your budget,
2. dd-wrt supported (biggest +ve)
3. USB port (means downloading without PC, and shared printer)

Not at all a viable option here. Range is a big issue here. Plus where is it available for 2.6k ?

To download without PC you need to request your ISP to activate PPPoE for your account.

Not at all needed. ISP hasn't got anything to do with PC-less downloads.

I was ready to spend 3k only because of gigabit router as I share lots of huge files from my desktop via wifi frequently but I don't have any idea if I will get much better file transfer speed or not.

Gigabit will help across LAN, not wifi.

Cilus

laborare est orare
WHAT ABOUT THIS: ASUS RT-N10+ EZ N Wireless Router - Asus: Flipkart.com

and This: Asus DSL-N10E Wireless-N150 ADSL Modem Router - Asus: Flipkart.com

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
No PPPoE = no auto-login via router = no direct download.

Auto-login has only got to do when session's time exceeds default session time out. This not at all means one can't initiate automatic downloads. Plus scripts for automatic login are always there.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
TP-Link router is imported and serviced by Aditya Infotech. So, i think there will be no problem in RMA whats so ever.
About router i got this from MD Computer @2080/-
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/159118-tp-link-td-w8961nd-adsl2-modem-router-review.html

OP
masterkd

masterkd

Padawan
Thanks a lot guys.
So finally decided to go for TP-LINK TL-WR841N
Lets see if I can manage to go to Chandni this weekend else will order from Flipkart.

mitraark

Decrepit
Thanks a lot guys.
So finally decided to go for TP-LINK TL-WR841N
Lets see if I can manage to go to Chandni this weekend else will order from Flipkart.

Hey I'm also looking forward to buy this router, my main concern isn't speed, but coverage , around 4000 sq. feet, multiple floors, but the house is an old style house, dalanbari as they call it in Kolkata, the center of the house is open, so Wi Fi will possibly be unrestricted with the dual antennae.

PLease mention the price you get it at, and how it performs.

setu4993

Journeyman

I'm using it with the MTNL connection itself (MTNL's modem and my WiFi router) in Mumbai, without any issues. I don't think there should be any problems related to compatibility.

Not sure and don't know about parental controls. Google it, you might find something.

Modem + Router is a better choice, in my opinion. I've been using it the same way since 6+ years now. Had a Linksys router earlier and now this.

Top Bottom