Help me.. PC problems.

PentiumD

Broken In
Hello,

I have an older PC and facing few problems. I think i need to add an SSD & Graphics card. Plz advice

Here is my Present config :
Pentium D @ 3 Ghz
Intel motherboard DG965 RY
3 GB DDR2 RAM
Seagate 500 GB HDD SATA
Samsung DVD RW SATA
Viewsonic 19" LCD 1400x900
zebronics SMPS (not sure of watts)
speakers, keybpard & mouse
All items purchased in septembet 2007, Seagate 500 GB HDD purchased in september 2010

Problems :

1) Ticking sound heard in HDD, if i change HDD position or shake it then its not heard for some time. then it comes back again after some days. I donno where is the bill kept so no warranty even if its in warranty period. I also had same problem with my previous Seagate 250 GB HDD.

2) Processor fan making lot of noise sometimes & PC restarts when i try to play some videos & start software like photoshop. I also hear lot of disturbance, sound breaking during MP3 songs playing whenever i do big excel sheet works & browsing in parallel.

3) When the PC restarts automatically due to problem or i restart manually, it boots twice & then starts windows.

Plz analyse the problems & give solutions.

I plan to do below things
1) Get new SSD 64 GB. dont want to waste money on HDD as already 2 gone. Plz suggest a good one. I have thought of Kingston in flipkart)
2) Get new graphics card. Plz suggest if needed. Max price is 2k
3) Change processor coolant+FAN setup or change processor itself

Plz analyse the problems & give solutions.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
1) Ticking sound heard in HDD, if i change HDD position or shake it then its not heard for some time. then it comes back again after some days. I donno where is the bill kept so no warranty even if its in warranty period. I also had same problem with my previous Seagate 250 GB HDD.
Check HDD for errors using the
Code:
 chkdsk
code on command prompt. how old is it BTW?
2) Processor fan making lot of noise sometimes & PC restarts when i try to play some videos & start software like photoshop. I also hear lot of disturbance, sound breaking during MP3 songs playing whenever i do big excel sheet works & browsing in parallel.
Post a screenshot of the task manager.
and post temps using Speccy

helion

Broken In
1. Back up your data from HDD. Ticking sounds usually mean imminent failure if not a huge deal of deterioration all over the device in the time ahead, like unpredictable accesses and so on. It is quite likely to be a thing with the electronics of the HDD.

2. Before you do (1), thoroughly clean the processor and the heatsink surfaces and apply a new high quality TIM.

3. It will help to get the PSU checked, as well as see if the CMOS battery is okay.

4. If you're getting a new grafix card, get a new better quality PSU along with it as the card load will have to be born by the PSU after all. Two in one move for you.

koolent

Youngling

Do what thetechfreak said..

Change the TIM and if possible, the Cooler. Pentium 4 processors tend to heat easily.. TIM might have expired.

3) When the PC restarts automatically due to problem or i restart manually, it boots twice & then starts windows.

For the couple of problems above, I would recommend you to also check your Computer for viruses.. :)

Hope this helps.. :)

OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
Thanks guys for all your fast replies

I am posting the screenshots.. hope they help.

*www.hostpic.org/images/221.jpg

*www.hostpic.org/images/913.jpg

I think the desi PSU is the culprit that's causing your HDD to tick.
will consider changing the PSU

Check HDD for errors using the
Code:
 chkdsk
code on command prompt. how old is it BTW?
Post a screenshot of the task manager.
and post temps using Speccy
Code:
C:\>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry f_00009f in index $I30 of file 36560.
Index verification completed.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

there might be some problems with HDD. so i am mostly getting a SSD as said in first post. Already backed up add data

1. Back up your data from HDD. Ticking sounds usually mean imminent failure if not a huge deal of deterioration all over the device in the time ahead, like unpredictable accesses and so on. It is quite likely to be a thing with the electronics of the HDD.

2. Before you do (1), thoroughly clean the processor and the heatsink surfaces and apply a new high quality TIM.

3. It will help to get the PSU checked, as well as see if the CMOS battery is okay.

4. If you're getting a new grafix card, get a new better quality PSU along with it as the card load will have to be born by the PSU after all. Two in one move for you.

I have never assembled PC so i wont try to do it myself. if heatsink solves the problem then i wont get a graphics card.

Do what thetechfreak said..

Change the TIM and if possible, the Cooler. Pentium 4 processors tend to heat easily.. TIM might have expired.

For the couple of problems above, I would recommend you to also check your Computer for viruses.. :)

Hope this helps.. :)

Will do the TIM think.. i think there is no virus.. even if i change HDD, restarting PC reboots twice to get ON.. has the virus gone into processor ? :)

Last edited:

rickson23

The Pirate King
Ur PRocessor Could be overheating Causing Freezing & restarts..
Its a old processor.The Config is much of a bottleneck situation,
suggest u to check HDD on another system with latest processor.

By changing Mobo & processor Ur system can perform much better but depends on ur needs.
SSD is definitly overkill & expensive

lordirecto

In the zone
You have mentioned that you have a Pentium D, by any chance are you having any idea to revamp your computer?

Cilus

laborare est orare
You lost the Bill does not mean you are out of warranty. Get the serial number and model number of the HDD, it should be written over the HDD itself. Go to Warranty Validation and provide the required information to check the warranty condition of the product. If it is within warranty then you're a lucky man.

OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
Ur PRocessor Could be overheating Causing Freezing & restarts..
Its a old processor.The Config is much of a bottleneck situation,
suggest u to check HDD on another system with latest processor.

By changing Mobo & processor Ur system can perform much better but depends on ur needs.
SSD is definitly overkill & expensive

You have mentioned that you have a Pentium D, by any chance are you having any idea to revamp your computer?
I am sure the HDD has problems & i am not planning to change mobo & processor

You lost the Bill does not mean you are out of warranty. Get the serial number and model number of the HDD, it should be written over the HDD itself. Go to Warranty Validation and provide the required information to check the warranty condition of the product. If it is within warranty then you're a lucky man.
Thanks sir.. :mrgreen: I checked both HDD for warranty & both r in warranty period. :-o:-o
first hdd 250 gb warranty till august 2012
second hdd 500 gb warranty till september 2014

I used seagate seatools & tried various checks but not getting how to find error code as they say in Warranty Validation page. Please tell me what test to do in seatools

Also about changing thermal paste.. i never done it before.. plz give some tutorial & tips & where to buy online..

Thanks u all

OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
Hi friends,

I am replying after a long time..

I got a new SMPS (Corsair CX430 V2) fitted & got HDD 250 GB from seagate in return.

but still there is problem

1) My PC restarts when i play a DVD in windows media player but the same plays file with VLC player. Not just DVD, many video files & sw launching crashes my PC. :-?
2) When i am copying files from external hdd to internal hdd or anywhere else, and playing music, i hear a lot of disturbance. Once i pause copy or it gets over, there is no disturbance.

I have kaspersky internet security installed & its a fresh installation of windows xp.

Please help me solve this problem

Also i have not done any changes to processor heatsink & fan.. new psu is good & pc is running cool.

OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
Does adding a graphics card solve my problem ...

Hi friends,

I am replying after a long time..

I got a new SMPS (Corsair CX430 V2) fitted & got HDD 250 GB from seagate in return.

1) My PC restarts when i play a DVD in windows media player but the same plays file with VLC player. Not just DVD, many video files & sw launching crashes my PC. :-?
2) When i am copying files from external hdd to internal hdd or anywhere else, and playing music, i hear a lot of disturbance. Once i pause copy or it gets over, there is no disturbance.

I have kaspersky internet security installed & its a fresh installation of windows xp.

Please help me solve this problem

VVG

Broken In
Try to check your computer's ram, I have Pentium D pc in my office having same kind of problem bcoz of ram mismatch.

OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
I have 2GB + 1GB RAM at 800 Mhz DDR2 from transcend. Tried PC with single RAM stick also but same problem. This problem has appeared from 6 months. RAM is there from 2 years.

Any hardware fault in motherboard ?

Cilus

laborare est orare
1st of all, Ram can't be a culprit of Hrad disk ticking problem....get it inside your head. It should be HDD problem and HDD problem only.

Follow the stpes mentioned by thetechfreak in his 1st post. Not necessarily you have to follow the exact steps mentioned in Seagate site. If chkdsk returns large number of bad sectors then go for the replacement.

Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable with these, connect 1 HDD at a time to verfify it sounds coming from both of 'em or one of them. Then you can directly take the HDD to the Seagate Service center and state the problem. IF they can replicate it then they'll replace it.

OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
1st of all, Ram can't be a culprit of Hrad disk ticking problem....get it inside your head. It should be HDD problem and HDD problem only.

Follow the stpes mentioned by thetechfreak in his 1st post. Not necessarily you have to follow the exact steps mentioned in Seagate site. If chkdsk returns large number of bad sectors then go for the replacement.

Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable with these, connect 1 HDD at a time to verfify it sounds coming from both of 'em or one of them. Then you can directly take the HDD to the Seagate Service center and state the problem. IF they can replicate it then they'll replace it.

Hi Cilus , i think u missed my previous post .. i returned the faulty HDD 250GB & got back replacement 250GB HDD after 2 weeks.. now there is no problem in HDD... works cool & quite.. Thanks to ur advice on warranty without bill :-D

1) My PC restarts when i play a DVD in windows media player but the same plays file with VLC player. Not just DVD, many video files & SW launching (ex : Samsung Kies)crashes my PC.

Any hardware fault in motherboard ?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Might be a Ram problem or Motherboard problem. 1st use one Ram at a time and check if the problem is occurring. If it is occurring with only one module then the problem with the Ram module, replace it. If not then the reason is something else. Try a fresh installation of the OS.

OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
Might be a Ram problem or Motherboard problem. 1st use one Ram at a time and check if the problem is occurring. If it is occurring with only one module then the problem with the Ram module, replace it. If not then the reason is something else. Try a fresh installation of the OS.

I have tried using single RAM module.. but still same problem.. OS is newly installed in replacement HDD..

does adding a graphics card solve the problem ?

I checked motherboard & see a black ink thing on 2 of big capacitors.. is there fault in capacitors ?

Last edited:
OP
P

PentiumD

Broken In
I think the problem lies in motherboard

*www.hostpic.org/images/70mobo.jpg

Its 4.5 years old intel DG965RY motherboard .. is there warranty still ...

What do you guys suggest in this case

Top Bottom