Help me learn C language

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I am a student of microbiology. For some reason, C language is included in our syllabus. I need your guidance regarding these things:

1. Which online/offline book to consult
2. How do I practice it in my linux box? I have gcc installed but I don't know how to bring it up or start working on it like sir was while demonstrating it on turbo c++ software on windows.

Please consider that I am a medical student and would also need to know about the basics like what's a compiler,what's a LLL, Hll, etc.

I think I should have posted in programming section. Sorry about that. Can someone move this please?

I also saw a post regarding alternative to turbo c but I still need answers to both my questions since I am a complete noob and I have different requirements.

Last edited:

cool_callis

Broken In
i will suggest u following book for beginning
1.c primer plus
2.c in a nutshell
both r really very good books .get hard copy of ny one which is available .
once u have mastered basics for perfection u can follow
1. c programming language by dennis ritchie (creator of c language)
the best c book but u will not understand this if u first read this book.
c in a nutshell book has given complete detail on compiling and debugging

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
To use GCC, open terminal and do this to compile your written C file:
Code:
gcc <filename_of_program>.c -o <somename_for_output_file>
And once compiled successfully by the above command (No o/p == Success), do this to run the program:
Code:
./<somename_for_output_file>

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Will these books have the kind of basics that I am gonna need. I need basic definitions and explanations too. How about Balaguru Sami or Nitin Upadhya's book? My friend has them so I won't have to buy them. Are they any good?

cool_callis

Broken In
if u need only basic knowledge then u can follow balaguruswamy or book by yashwant kanetkar (let us c)
as u need only basic knowledge i suggest that 'let us c ' by yashwant kanetkar will be the most suitable book for u . i has very simple language and suitable for noobs to programming and those who need only basic knowledge . get this book.it has simple language nd easier to understand than balaguruswamy book.

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
QwertyManiac said:
Code:
gcc <filename_of_program>.c -o <somename_for_output_file>
Better include -W for the warning(s): :)
Code:
gcc -W <filename_of_program>.c -o <somename_for_output_file>

praka123

left this forum longback
@baccilus are u good in math :?: I am not and i struggle with programming,still dont know anything even with C although i passed exams long back 9 yrs ago :p

Pathik

Google Bot
baccilus said:
Will these books have the kind of basics that I am gonna need. I need basic definitions and explanations too. How about Balaguru Sami or Nitin Upadhya's book? My friend has them so I won't have to buy them. Are they any good?
Try Kernighan & Ritchie.

hayabusa_ryu

Journeyman
I suggest that u should go for C : The Complete Refrence published by Tata McGraw Hill and then go for C : How to program written by Deitel & Deitel published by Prentice Hall and lastly go for C The Programming Language by Ritchie and Kernigham. You can also try Yaswant Kanitkar's book

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
@Praka: I am a medical student. I suck at maths.

I think I will give Balaguruswamy a try first since I won't have to buy it. If I don't understand it, I will go by Hayabusu's advice although I will just read one of them (Have to focus more on my majors, C is subsidiary)

By the way I have installed Anjuta. That's good right?

@Devil: Can you elaborate please.

Last edited:

Indyan

Here Since 2003
I would reccomend Balaguruswamy and Let us C to start with.
Let us C is very well written and is actually a fun read.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Indyan said:
I would reccomend Balaguruswamy and Let us C to start with.
Let us C is very well written and is actually a fun read.

please,please don't misguide!!it takes a lot of time to get over the 'kanetkar syndrome'.

@baccilus:I don't think you need any IDE for basic programming,just use a siple text editor and then use gcc to compile,as simple as that.

One humble request,get a good book instead of even trying balagurusamy,I have thsi book and it sucks! some good book will make learning c a pleasure like it should be.

praka123

left this forum longback
I bought long back C for Dummies.it is lieing here in my room.it follows instructs for turbo C which i dont use.but id have to say-it is very easy if u have time though.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Devil; I think I will flip the pages a bit and see how he has tried to explain the things. Personally I too like books where author tries to make things simple, rather than throwing knowledge at you. Any book you think is nice and simple which manages to get the concept across?

I can also get "let us C" from Brit library I guess. Will see these and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the help guys.

I noticed that Dev C++ has a built in instruction set for C programming. My friend, who is in this forums, but has not yet posted, has learnt C exclusively through Dev C++'s built in help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom