Help me learn C language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Anyone recommending Kanetkar books should be hanged and fed to vultures.

C Primer Plus is an excellent text. K&R is tough on beginners, and was originally meant for programmers not familiar with C. Stephen Kochan's Programming in C, 3rd edition is also quite good for starters. I also recommend A Book on C by Kelley and Pohl.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yamaraj said:
Anyone recommending Kanetkar books should be hanged and fed to vultures.

C Primer Plus is an excellent text. K&R is tough on beginners, and was originally meant for programmers not familiar with C. Stephen Kochan's Programming in C, 3rd edition is also quite good for starters. I also recommend A Book on C by Kelley and Pohl.
I never learned from Kanetkar:-D,

K & R is for hardcore sys programming:mrgreen:

Deitel and Deitel is a good option (includes a primer to C++ and JAVA).

there is a book on C programming by Dennis Ritchie. It is absolutely amazing, even for n00bs. He explains every concept, and gives lots of tips. His english is also scholary.

PS: for those who don't know, Dennis Ritchie invented C

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
but a word of caution K&R is book for those who already know some programming in any langage. n00bs will find difficult to understand.

the as the opening text of book is
"there is no other to learn to program, then to program itself, so lets get started":D
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
printf("hello world \n");
return 0;
}

so the book is closer to *UNIX, so windows wienies may not understand some *UNIX related concepts, like the file system handling etc etc*farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2122604649_e2f8e1a9b0_o.png

praka123

left this forum longback
books are not responsible atleast 20%!there is no change if u collect these books!make sure u have a good lecturer,guide.with pupils poor in Maths,they sure need a lecturer for C programming etc.no self studying.
best way to learn programming is to make sure whether ur nice in Math or not.i ur not good in math(<60%) then Programming can be left for those geeks and you can try some good with politics ;) or arts etc :D
ofcourse no offense meant to any!JFYI :)
^...@gary:waiting for ur fast track to C programming :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
wise man said:
All books by Yashwant Kanetkar including books like Let US C, Working with C, Data structure through C. The problem with his books is that, though they are easy to read, but they contain lots of factual errors. They do not address the fact that certain aspects of C is implementation dependent.

one word:AVOID THEM

praka123 said:
^...@gary:waiting for ur fast track to C programming :)

oh didn't read this....lol i can't code anything properly apart from "Hello world" program:D
do you need to fast track to hello world:p

Last edited:
OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Ok guys.... I just came across " C-Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata. I have just read the introductory chapter and found it quite interesting. Now how is this book?

praka123

left this forum longback
^good reviews for that book;afaik yashawantha kanitkar's Let Us C also have above book as referral.use gcc or any ANSI/ISO compliant compilers for testing.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Will you be just searching for books and not go on with C really at all? By now you should have become a master in its basics, like writing to a file and all!

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
LOL... Ya I am learning it too. Can already write basic programs like asking for name, age, class and masks and then displaying them. But had been learning from computer sir till now. I am using Anjuta IDE by the way.

Guys I am finding it more interesting than my major subject( Microbiology), probably because I am still studying the easy part.

praka123

left this forum longback
^yeah a possible Math phobia case like me ;) if ur weak in programming that is!(i am!) u may be very much intelligent but fears from math or programming,this is Math Phobia ;)

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have been learning C from the past few days and am loving it.

I have recently started getting into a problem with my anjuta IDE compiler in linux.
There are several header files it doesn't find. I learn to write some program in the class(windows) but can't run it at home on my linux box. From the errors it seems that I don't have "iostream.h" and "conio.h" header files. How can I install them?

I just realized that I don't have most of the header files. I tried to execute some programs given in this forum but none executed because of some header file or other.

Last edited:
OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
What about the header files problem?

By the way I have decided to go for C primer plus. Am already reading an *ahem* version. Will buy it soon :)

But do something about the header files problems. Its really irritating :-(

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Conio.h is Turbo exclusive (Platform Dependent - Windows).

To include iostream, in standard C++, use:
Code:
#include<iostream>

No .h's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom