Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Read This :

Phenom II has DDR3 issues :
Forum Link : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108642
Original Source : *www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12033&Itemid=1

And for ATI cards though they are good they have driver issue.
For eg : One of my friend bought one M2A-MX mobo ( it has onboard 690V vga chip ). Every time he ran a bench mark @ 1024-768 resolution or ran GPU-z his monitor just blanks out & the system hanhgs. So he took my 7300GS & all of his probs solved.

DDR3 is NOT present in Phenom II 940. Its a DDR2 CPU designed for AM2+ Motherboards.
*images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/58/60px-Bouncywikilogo.gif

Considering the benchmarks, I doubt you have driver issues today. Let me show you a link:

*www.overclock.net/hardware-news/446914-vr-z-amd-ati-4870-x2.html

At the highest resolution with 8xx AA/AF, HD4870X2 beats GTX295. At lower resolutions, it looses but when the game delivers playable framerates at the highest resolution, why worry ?

Besides, NOTHING stops you from buying GTX295 and using it inside the 790GX motherboard. Remember, in GTX295 the SLI interface is in-built in the dual GPU and you just need 2 slots to connect the GPU to the rig. :D

And just to tempt you, MSI HD4870 512MB GDDR5 costs just 12.7K on lynx-india.com :D

amitash

Intel OCer
Just contacted amarbir at lynx-india...he said he can get gigabyte extreme as well as UD5 mobos to my door step before next weekend...
So I would suggest this:

1.i7-920--14k
2.gigabyte UD5--16k
3.eVGA gtx280ssc--22k and this beast is already overclocked to match gtx285 speeds...you can oc much further and get awesome performance.
4.corsair 3gb--7k
5.Tagan BZ1100--14k (cheaper and better than corsair hx1000)

Use google search first and you will see that the 10K saved on the motherboard coupled with the 4K saved on the RAM is enough to get a better GPU option than with Nehalem and that makes great performance difference.

At the resolutions you will be gaming at (1080p or WXGA+) I think GTX295+790GX+P2940BE would be great.

Remember nVidia's optimize your PC campaign ? When gaming, a cheaper and weaker CPU with a more powerful GPU would have better performance than a expensive and better CPU with a weaker GPU.

9800GTX+ Dual SLI with Core i7 looses to GTX295 with Phenom II in gaming.

And with Phenom II you can also buy nVidia's 780a SLI chipset based mobo for tri-way SLI of nVidia GPUs with AMD CPUs.

However, if you can afford it, get the BEST of both worlds. How about Core i7 WITH GTX295 ? But only if your budget affords it... ;-)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 14k
ASUS P5Q @ 8k
Corsair XMS 4*1GB DDR2 800MHz @ 2.8k
CM Centurion 534 Cabinet @ 3.4k
Corsair HX620W @ 6.4k
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard @ 1k
Logitech MX518 Mice @ 1.2k
22x DVD Writer @ 1.1k
BenQ 22" E2200HD @ 11.5k
Western Digital 500GB @ 3.1k
Logitech MX4-5.1 Speakers @ 4.8k

Total - 57k

Now, for the Graphics Card, I suggest buying 2xHD4870 in Crossfire for 25k.
Or, HD4870 X2 for 27k(Palit)
Or, wait for the HD4995 X2 - It's gonna be a GTX295 killer, coming this March(Latest by early April).

For performance, don't go for the PhenomII, and don't go for the Core i7, cuz a Core i7 withoug a super powerful gfx card is a Core i7 wasted.

Offtopic:

Have a look at this:
*www.overclock.net/hardware-news/460876-tpu-amd-preparing-radeon-hd-4890-a.html

And about Phenom II 940's gaming capability, have a look at this:
*www.overclock.net/hardware-news/454029-anandtech-phenom-ii-crossfire-competitive-not.html

It clearly beats Q9550 in Crysis Warhead.

comp@ddict

Yes, the Q9550 is much better than PhenomII 940, that's y I',m suggesting this rig:
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 14k
ASUS P5Q @ 8k
Corsair XMS 4*1GB DDR2 800MHz @ 2.8k
CM Centurion 534 Cabinet @ 3.4k
Corsair HX620W @ 6.4k
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard @ 1k
Logitech MX518 Mice @ 1.2k
22x DVD Writer @ 1.1k
BenQ 22" E2200HD @ 11.5k
Western Digital 500GB @ 3.1k
Logitech MX4-5.1 Speakers @ 4.8k

Total - 57k

Now, for the Graphics Card, I suggest buying 2xHD4870 in Crossfire for 25k.
Or, HD4870 X2 for 27k(Palit)
Or, wait for the HD4995 X2 - It's gonna be a GTX295 killer, coming this March(Latest by early April).

Offtopic:

Have a look at this:
*www.overclock.net/hardware-news/460876-tpu-amd-preparing-radeon-hd-4890-a.html

And about Phenom II 940's gaming capability, have a look at this:
*www.overclock.net/hardware-news/454029-anandtech-phenom-ii-crossfire-competitive-not.html

It clearly beats Q9550 in Crysis Warhead.

Yes, the Q9550 is much better than PhenomII 940, that's y I',m suggesting this rig:
lol, you never read those links did you ? :p

here are the pics:

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/phenomiicf_012809142247/18101.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/phenomiicf_012809142247/18103.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/phenomiicf_012809142247/18107.png

Now decide for yourself. ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asus P6T deluxe X58 Mobo is available for Rs. 20800.

It has support for both SLI & CF.

amitash

Intel OCer
^Not worth it imo...The gigabyte options have tri cfx and sli and many awesome features compared to asus p6t

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ Read This :

Phenom II has DDR3 issues :
Forum Link : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108642
Original Source : *www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12033&Itemid=1

And for ATI cards though they are good they have driver issue.
For eg : One of my friend bought one M2A-MX mobo ( it has onboard 690V vga chip ). Every time he ran a bench mark @ 1024-768 resolution or ran GPU-z his monitor just blanks out & the system hanhgs. So he took my 7300GS & all of his probs solved.
Yup, i remember u telling me at these driver issues.. :(
Neways, getting so much encouraging replies from all u guys here, is forcing me (and i will) to get core i7 920 :D
Thanx for the reply buddy.. really appreciate it..

Just contacted amarbir at lynx-india...he said he can get gigabyte extreme as well as UD5 mobos to my door step before next weekend...
So I would suggest this:

1.i7-920--14k
2.gigabyte UD5--16k
3.eVGA gtx280ssc--22k and this beast is already overclocked to match gtx285 speeds...you can oc much further and get awesome performance.
4.corsair 3gb--7k
5.Tagan BZ1100--14k (cheaper and better than corsair hx1000)
Ooh tats gr8 news, i will also go for the above config.. :)
and will also order UD5 from lynx
btw, yaar amitash now u getting me confused b/w corsair hx1000 and tagan bz1100 (i knw both are gr8) but are u suggesting me tagan's 1100W psu jus bcoz its 1100W as compared to 1000W of corsair ? is it ?

Actually, i selected the HX1000, jus for the SOLE reason that it is a modular psu (wires/connectors can be removed which are not required by the cpu, hence less clutter)...

Plz hv ur say...

Btw, what UPS shud i go for ?? i am getting a APC 1100VA ups @ 6K, is tat enough for the 1100W smps rig ??:confused:
dont think bout Phenom II.go with i7 920.
Yup, i'll be goin with the i7 920 :)
Thanx for ur reply hellgate.. :)

Asus P6T deluxe X58 Mobo is available for Rs. 20800.

It has support for both SLI & CF.
I'll go for UD5, as its cheaper and also it has 3 way sli.. :)
Thanx for ur reply topgear.. :)

^Not worth it imo...The gigabyte options have tri cfx and sli and many awesome features compared to asus p6t
yup, tat exactly the ONLY reason y im goin for UD5 rather than the Extreme.. :)
--------

Btw, waiting for ur UD5 to get it delivered to u, so tat even i'll order for the same from lynx.. :) (hence im waiting in line) :D
-----------------

to all: Guys, I really appreciate ur time adn precious replies tat u hv posted here, it was really informative to get to knw abt these stuff and help me build my rig...

SOS: Btw, what UPS shud i go for ?? i am getting a APC 1100VA ups @ 6K, is tat enough for the 1100W smps rig ??:confused:
-----------------

Cheers n e-peace....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've posted it for those who might want to buy a board other than gigabyte after going through all the thread pages coz gigabyte mobos are not readily available everywhere but you can get asus mobos in most places.

Though it's needless to say that gigabyte x58 mobos are offering better VFM than any other x58 mobos.

SOS: Btw, what UPS shud i go for ?? i am getting a APC 1100VA ups @ 6K, is tat enough for the 1100W smps rig ??:confused:

A 1100VA ups can sustain the load of 660W. Now calculate your components power requirements & see if it fits your needs.

Now assuming your power requirements as following :
Rams 3x 10W
CPU 130W
Mobo 60W
Gfx card 200W
Hdd 10W
ODD 10W

Total : 420W

Now if you add another 2 GTX 280 later on then you require 400W more.

So the total load will be 880W. So you need to get atleast 1500VA.

For PSU get Tagan 1100W it it gives same efficiency as corsair.

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, rightly said topgear, tat 1100VA rating UPS (from APC) works on 660Watts,

Neways, thanx alot for the clear clarification buddy.. :) i will look for a 1500VA UPS.. (as i will surely add 2 more gtx 280's in future making it a Tri SLi)...

amitash

Intel OCer
@ashu... The tagan psu is also modular and its really good....its got a great blue led fan and the connectors light up different colours when you connect them...you also get a carrier case for all the connectors that you dont connect.....also a neat pair of anti-static gloves...thats y i suggested it.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
==================
==================

TO all: Guys, one of our fellow forum member needs our advice too,
here ---> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108680
So, plz i think we shud all help him build his rig too (budget 40K).. :)
----------------------

@ amitash and topgear :)

thanx for ur replies guys, yup will go for tagan 1100W psu now .. :D

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
==============
==============

Ok, topgear.. :)

Here is the pic (rear side) of the 1500VA (865Watts) APC UPS
*www.systemaxdev.com/productmedia/htmlimages/cten/APC Power/45131-back.jpg
I hv a spike guard which has a 5 Ampere (3 pin plug) sort of plug, but here in the rear pics, there are all different sockets (none for the 5 ampere (3 pin plug) plugs to go into), so how will i connect my Spike guard with it ?? :confused:

(currently in my existing ups, the spike guard's 5 ampere (3 pin plug) plug goes into a 5 ampere socket of the UPS and all other 5 ampere plugs like say for the monitor,CPU, router's adapter, 2 pin plug of the 5.1 speakers go into the spike guard's 3 pin plug sockets)

If NOT spike guard directly, then ?? coz those sockets (at the back of the UPS) are the same ones which go at the back of say, a psu or at the back of the LCD monitor, where it has these connectors at one end and a 5-amp type of connector plug at the other end (which goes into the socket of the spike guard.. (i hope u got my point).. !!
---------------------

================
================
Offtopic: Was this forum site inaccessible for the past 2 days ?? I was NOT able to connect to this site.. ! :confused:

Last edited:

comp@ddict

Okay, ONE THING YOU GUYS SHOULD BE CLEAR.

Now all the processor-gaming reviews that you see, you have to keep in mind the GPU. Core i7 is useless unless you have a HD4870x2 or GTX295 or higher(a.k.a. their SLi or CFx).

With a GPU like HD4870, and at a resolution of 1680x1050, whether you use a QX9770 or a Phenom II 920, you'll get the same(1-3 diff.) fps.

So, since u won't be going in for anything higher than HD4870x2(lesser I presume), go for the Phenom II CPU. Lol I'm now contradicting myself when I told about Q9550.

And also, view Performance at stock speeds, not all can do 4GHZ +

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
==============
==============

Ok, topgear.. :)

Here is the pic (rear side) of the 1500VA (865Watts) APC UPS
*www.systemaxdev.com/productmedia/htmlimages/cten/APC Power/45131-back.jpg
I hv a spike guard which has a 5 Ampere (3 pin plug) sort of plug, but here in the rear pics, there are all different sockets (none for the 5 ampere (3 pin plug) plugs to go into), so how will i connect my Spike guard with it ?? :confused:

(currently in my existing ups, the spike guard's 5 ampere (3 pin plug) plug goes into a 5 ampere socket of the UPS and all other 5 ampere plugs like say for the monitor,CPU, router's adapter, 2 pin plug of the 5.1 speakers go into the spike guard's 3 pin plug sockets)

If NOT spike guard directly, then ?? coz those sockets (at the back of the UPS) are the same ones which go at the back of say, a psu or at the back of the LCD monitor, where it has these connectors at one end and a 5-amp type of connector plug at the other end (which goes into the socket of the spike guard.. (i hope u got my point).. !!

:confused: :confused:

1st read this : *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

The rear side of the UPS contains type B ( north american type power ) socket.

I once got a LCD monitor & the plug has this types of power connectors ( type b) but my ups has only type d power connector. So I have to use another old monitors power cord.

but most devices have type D & Type E / F hybrid power socket & connectors which fits easily.

So ask someone who has used this kind of ups ( or atleast apc 650VA ) & know how to connect type d or hybrid e/f power connector with north american type or type b power socket

I'm really confused about this matter. I too want to know what should we do in this kind of situation.

Offtopic: Was this forum site inaccessible for the past 2 days ?? I was NOT able to connect to this site.. ! :confused:

I'm also facing trouble in accessing forum from last week.

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Dude, do get a GTX280... its a great card and dont worry about it being out-dated or obsolete coz my 8800GT, even though old and so called obsolete can still blast any game @max except Crysis, Warhead and GTA IV on 1440x900 res :D.

Go for a i7 920, ASUS P6T, 3GB Corsair DDR3 RAM and WD Caviar 640gig HDD.

Dont install Windows 7 right now, rather install XP SP3 and Vista SP1 in dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom