HDD - Seagate or Samsung?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulo

Broken In
I shall purchase a new Ultra ATA 80 GB / 120 GB 7200 RPM HDD. What is the going street price now? And which brand to purchase? Samsung or Seagate?

chosenone

Right off the assembly line
I shall purchase a new Ultra ATA 80 GB / 120 GB 7200 RPM HDD. What is the going street price now? And which brand to purchase? Samsung or Seagate?

first things first.....there is a thread running already for such queries

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11272

so next time when u have a query for h/w, u know where to post...right!!!!

now for ur query...

go for a seagate drive.....its really gud......and d00d get urself a SATA drive
instead of the one above.....get urself a SEAGATE SATA HDD 7200 RPM.....
it wud cost u arnd 3200/-

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Seagate (120gb or more) drives makes noise while they run... and samsung drives are quiter but they get bad sectors....

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I saw the same post in the Bazaar section first and replied there. Repeating my reply here as this is a more appropriate section :

From personal experience and from reading about other people's experiences, I believe Seagate is the most reliable HDD brand. Maxtor's just about the worst, with Samsung and WD somewhere in between.

Kolkata price a few weeks ago : Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PATA 80GB - 2650/-, 120GB - 3650/-. May have changed slightly now. I'll know for sure after I call my dealer tomorrow.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Go for seagate, i have two of them. One is 2 yrs old 40 GB @ 5400 RPM, not a single prob yet and another is 160 GB @ 7200 RPM. But dr, it doesnt make much noise.

digen

Youngling
From my personal experience,I've 3 seagates drives 2 40 gb,one 80 gb drives.I've faced no problems whatsoever[TOUCHWOOD].Also i'm planning to get a 160 gig drive.

Even if there was a performance diff. I bet you wouldn't notice. I've always been a Seagate fan, but currently run a -

WD Caviar 80GB 7.2k 8mb PATA (1year old)
and
Samsung 80GB 7.2k 8mb SATA (1 week old) - damn pc dealer took advantage of my impatience and got me to buy this instead of Seagate.

I like the metal covered unexposed bottoms of Seagates whereas shameless WD and Samsungs prefer to expose their circuitry to all and sundry. Damn we need 18+ rating on these drives :lol:

Keith

OP
Hulo

Hulo

Broken In
pradeep_chauhan said:
Did i not see the same thing in the Bazaar section? Why the double post?

Sorry for the double post. I've got one Seagate and one samsung drive. Both PATA 80GB 7200 RPM purchased a couple of years back. The Seagate one has developed troubles while the Samsung functions normally. The Seagate HDD has become absurdly slow, so much so that I get buffer overrun errors if I try to write files from this drive. Seagate had a bad reputation earlier of their drives developing bad sectors etc. The warranty was also for 1 year. compared to Samsung's 3 year. Seagate salvaged some reputation with the 5 year warranty. Anyone knows what the warranty period for Samsung HDDs are?

Kannan

In the zone
I have faced problems with both the drives and got replacements.

• Segate produces high noise and lot of heat.
• Samsung produces low noise and lesser heat than the Seagate.
• Both drives have 5 yrs warranty. But please check with your vendor.

Right now I have,

1. Seagate 120 GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM
2. Samsung 80 GB Parallel ATA 7200 RPM

OP
Hulo

Hulo

Broken In
Kannan said:
I have faced problems with both the drives and got replacements.

How much time did it take to get a replacement drive? And how much time after purchasing did the drives go bust in each case? And what were the problems in each case? Bad sector or total failure?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I have a Seagate 40 GB 5400 RPM HDD that is almost 5 years old. It has yet to develop a bad sector or any other problem and is a lot more silent than most other HDD's.
You can't go wrong with Seagate.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Kannan said:
Replacement for Seagate was around a week.
Replacement for Samsung took three days.
Seagate HDD's rarely ever need to be replaced, so don't look to much into that figure.
I think Samsung replacement is quicker because with all the defective HDD's that are returned to be replaced, their replacement procedure must be quite efficient by now. :wink:

magnet

Youngling
hey guys my samsung hdd drive has developed a pin damage...............wht should i do now???get new...it doesnt come under warranty or something else???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom