Harmon Kardon Soundsticks 3 review

psamurai

Right off the assembly line
With soaring prices of high end branded speakers it is really difficult to find something competing in quality yet affordable.
Now, while I was window shopping looking at speakers I found these, Harmon/Kardon speakers. They sounded the best in the bunch in store.
I have had them set up with my TV set for a few days now, with Tata Sky HD video quality and the Harmon Kardon’s sound quality the overall feedback in the house is that they are pretty awesome. Lets have a closer look…

DESIGN
The Harmon Kardon Soundsticks are one of the most unique designs that differentiate them among others speaker makers. They actually are in the permanent exhibition at New York’s Museum of Modern Art, which says a lot for the design. The sticks look like a see through SUB roll and the subwoofer looks very much like a mechanical jellyfish. These speakers are the third generations in this particular design, the only changes are the weighted donuts on the sticks are now black rather than grey. I assume this is to match the current lineup of iMacs.
Everything about the speakers exude a quality far greater than their price tag. The wires are all bound in a silver webbing making them feel very nice. The white LED (in replacement of the blue one) glows stunningly from under the desk. You certainly feel pretty cool when they are on your desk.
My only gripe with the design is the amount of wires, and the fact that they are all hard-wired into the sticks. This means if something happens to the wires you will have to get the sticks repaired or replaced.

SOUND
The set has an astounding sound range. The first thing I did when I got it set up was I put some heavy bass tracks and found that it could handle bass wisely. It did not fail to impress. In fact I would say we could have a pretty good house party in our small lounge with just these speakers and an iPod.
The bass is not a problem for the 6” downward firing subwoofer, it certainly can move some air and it has a perfectly matched crossover with the beautiful sticks. The 4 transducers on each stick can really handle the mid and upper mid ranges very well, they certainly make up for any missing high-end sounds by pumping them out!!
It is listed that this 2.1 system can handle 44hz to 20khz which I think you would agree is quite a full range for PC speakers. I did feel that it missed a little of top end at high volumes, but nothing that spoils the enjoyment.

Another gripe here, there is no remote. Volume is controlled by touch buttons on the sticks themselves, but it is only a minor issue.

Design wise there is nothing quite like them on the market. Overall I would say the system produces great sound and it has a very attractive price.

Top Bottom