Phenom II X2 545 3GHz @ 4.8k
Athlon II X2 250 3GHz @ 4.1k
AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz @ 2k

Core i7 965 Extreme 3.33Ghz Rs. 58750 - Rich boys wannabe :p
Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz @ 8.5K
Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz @ 5.8k

Last edited:
Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz @ 5.5k
Phenom II X4 945 Black Edition Rs. 12.3K - better to get this one. OC it to 3.2Ghz :p
Does it even exist ? If I remember, only 940 is Black Edition. Then 955 and 965. When did 945 come in Black Edition ?
Phenom II X4 810 BERs. 8.3K
This too seems odd. 810 was NEVER black edition.

Core i7 965 Extreme 3.33Ghz Rs. 58750 - Rich boys wannabe :p
interesting indeed it would be to see someone buy a 965 while others buy a whole gaming rig for its cost. :-D

Krow

Crowman
Does it even exist ? If I remember, only 940 is Black Edition. Then 955 and 965. When did 945 come in Black Edition ?
Lol, MHG.. :) It does exist. Its an AM3 version of the good ol' 940BE, which is AM2+ and runs with DDR2 RAM. 945 is compatible with DDR3 and DDR2.

interesting indeed it would be to see someone buy a 965 while others buy a whole gaming rig for its cost. :-D
Cz they already own a couple of currency castles and prolly need more bragging rights and are too lazy to take off that smug look off their faces...

And its Corei7 975 not 965. :razz:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Phenom II X4 945 is NOT black edition.

*www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-model-number-comparison.aspx

black editions are denoted by * next to their model number.

Krow

Crowman
Phenom II X4 945 is NOT black edition.

*www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-model-number-comparison.aspx

black editions are denoted by * next to their model number.

What is the diff between the 95 and 125W TDP Phenom II X4 945's?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys sorry for the mistake. Yup 945 95W and 125W TDP versions - both are not BE. theitwares guys have listed that as BE :p

@ Techalomaniac - 945 125W TDP ver : Max temp 62c
*products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUD...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

945 95W TDP ver MAx Temp 71c
*products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUD...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
HD 5850 - 17.4K ?? is it really worth , GTX285 is gona be priced @ 17K with in 2 weeks , hd 5850 is better than GTX 285 ??
So you will prefer to buy a GTX285 which consumes 1.5x the power of HD5850 but performs lesser, has DX10 vs DX11 only, based on 55nm vs 40nm?????
If u still want a GTX285....then well...it's ur choice...may god be with you

UPDATE

Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz @ 5.5k

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Guys sorry for the mistake. Yup 945 95W and 125W TDP versions - both are not BE. theitwares guys have listed that as BE :p

@ Techalomaniac - 945 125W TDP ver : Max temp 62c

945 95W TDP ver MAx Temp 71c

Okay, guys, does TDP really have any effect on power consumption? As logically speaking, lower TDP should mean lower power consumption and hence lesser temps, or have I got it all wrong? I asked Lucifer a question regarding no column for TDP's in Digit's processor review and here's what he said :

The X4 940 was marked as an EOL product by AMD. If a vendor tells you not to carry a CPU, you listen to them; so its not a decision that was made by us.

TDP is not as important as people consider it to be; and the term has been overhyped and abused by vendors taking advantage of the non-discerning masses. I hope you do know that it is actually a specification of the maximum thermal threshold of a product and not really indicative of how much heat that particular product produces. So a Core i7 975 with a TDP of 130W doesn't have to run hotter than a Phenom II with a TDP of 95W. As a unit measure of power draw its pretty useless too. It was never intended as a figure for the public, but is a design spec mostly intended for manufacturer's drawing boards. I intentionally removed it, and was waiting for this question.

Does TDP even matter? AFAIK this guy Lucifer knows a lot about CPU's and has a lot of knowledge too. :)

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
So you will prefer to buy a GTX285 which consumes 1.5x the power of HD5850 but performs lesser, has DX10 vs DX11 only, based on 55nm vs 40nm?????
If u still want a GTX285....then well...it's ur choice...may god be with you

If u r talking abt direct x - i think directx 9 is better comparing to Dx10 Dx10 makes fps drop little eye candy .

But most of them prefer Dx9 , as for power any way everyone is going to buy the PSU for 6K or above if they are getting high end graphics card . HX620,TX650,tagan 600watts can handle GTX285 also HD5850 , HD5850 idle power consumption is good Load is normal to other graphics card .

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Haha^^^^

And which person fires up his card to peak all the time?? Lemme tell you...not every1.....majority of the time...even a gamer spends on surfing and movies and other activities on the computer....then gfx card is consuming 19@ dor HD5850 and 75W + for GTX285.....

And well...yes you can buy a good PSU....but can you afford the same for power bills which will come year round?

Krow

Crowman
What do you mean you can buy good PSU's? Of course you have to. Otherwise, your rig will phail. Power bills are not going to be a major concern to anyone as computers don't make a huge difference to power bills anyway. If I am concerned about my power bill, I would get a low power consuming refrigerator (which consumes a lot of power btw).

DX9 still rules and both DX10 or 11 I do not think will make as huge a mark as DX9. Even with 55nm, nvidia managed to pwn ATI some time back as it did with GDDR3, so no one really cares about how much nm die is used in their GFX card.

damngoodman999 made a good point there stating that the price drop would make GTX285 a very good buy.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

I dunno u guys are dead stuck on a GTX285 which performs lesser than HD5870 and probably HD5850 too and on top of that...WHO THE F*** SAID nVidia is gonna reduce prices???

Let me tell you,,,usually there's a rumour before that happens....BUT U BOTH ARE GOING ON THAT "If the Bloody price of GTX285 is cut...."

I mean WTF...we are comparing YES THE HD5850 pwns GTX285 over MAYBE GTX285 will be good "IF" PRICE IS CUT>>..

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Haha^^^^

And which person fires up his card to peak all the time?? Lemme tell you...not every1.....majority of the time...even a gamer spends on surfing and movies and other activities on the computer....then gfx card is consuming 19@ dor HD5850 and 75W + for GTX285.....

And well...yes you can buy a good PSU....but can you afford the same for power bills which will come year round?

I too suspect that HD5850 would perform equal to GTX295:???: - but no! , HD5870 still not beats GTX295 in many games . PALIT GTX 295 is priced @ 28K

still Nvidia have the hands on Physx ! major concern about the eye candy when we r getting High end cards for above 15K . but still HD5870 is the single GPU fastest card - but who cares abt single GPU or TWO GPU , we need FPS + EYECANDY + VLM .

if HD5850 costs 12K -13K , then that wud be the best buy . remember HD4850 launched @ the price of 11K were no nvidia cards were compete @ the price of 11K , only 9800GTX were there & that too costs 14K + . but now still GTX285 & GTX295 were big competitor HD5850 & HD5870 , the only difference is DX11 & 40nm
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
I dunno u guys are dead stuck on a GTX285 which performs lesser than HD5870 and probably HD5850 too and on top of that...WHO THE F*** SAID nVidia is gonna reduce prices???

Let me tell you,,,usually there's a rumour before that happens....BUT U BOTH ARE GOING ON THAT "If the Bloody price of GTX285 is cut...."

I mean WTF...we are comparing YES THE HD5850 pwns GTX285 over MAYBE GTX285 will be good "IF" PRICE IS CUT>>..

GTX285 already started to hit the price market down in US !

*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143190&cm_re=gtx285-_-14-143-190-_-Product => 16.4K

*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187090&cm_re=gtx285-_-14-187-090-_-Product =>16.6K

u wont belive -> GTX295 priced @ 21.5K on the premium brand EVGA

*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130515

Soon it ll hit the Indian market .

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does TDP even matter? AFAIK this guy Lucifer knows a lot about CPU's and has a lot of knowledge too. :)

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, represents the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate. For example, a laptop's CPU cooling system may be designed for a 20 watt TDP, which means that it can dissipate up to 20 watts of heat without exceeding the maximum junction temperature for the computer chip. It can do this using an active cooling method such as a fan or any of the three passive cooling methods, convection, thermal radiation or conduction. Typically, a combination of methods are used. The TDP is typically not the most power the chip could ever draw, such as by a power virus, but rather the maximum power that it would draw when running real applications. This ensures the computer will be able to handle essentially all applications without exceeding its thermal envelope, or requiring a cooling system for the maximum theoretical power, which would cost more and achieve no benefit.

In some cases the TDP has been under-estimated and that in real applications (typically strenuous, such as video encoding or games) the CPU has exceeded the TDP. In this case, the CPU will either cause a system failure (a "therm-trip") or throttle its speed down.[1]. Most modern CPUs will only cause a therm-trip on a catastrophic cooling failure such as a stuck fan or a loose heatsink.

Since safety margins and the definition of what constitutes a real application vary between manufacturers, TDP values between different manufacturers cannot be accurately compared. While a processor with a TDP of 100 W will almost certainly use more power at full load than a processor with a 10 W TDP, it may or may not use more power than a processor from a different manufacturer that has a 90 W TDP. Additionally, TDPs are often specified for families of processors, with the low-end models usually using significantly less power than those at the high end of the family.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation
*ixbtlabs.com/articles2/p4-throttling/
*www.cpu-world.com/Glossary/T/Thermal_Design_Power_(TDP).html
*www.silentpcreview.com/article169-page3.html

I thgink they will clear all of doubts even better :p

Krow

Crowman
Thanks for the links topgear.

@ comp@ddict We all know that you are a die-hard ATI/AMD fanboy, but that is no reason to troll or to use uncivilised words. If you have a point to make, then please do so with good and civil language. The point here is that till now, HD5850 reviews are not out.

I mean WTF...we are comparing YES THE HD5850 pwns GTX285
Who told you that? Have you seen any review. There is only one till now that too at techpowerup, which is a mere simulation of an HD5850 (they underclocked the HD5870). You might be right, but as of now, unless you have personally reviewed the HD5850, I don't think there is any need to use caps to scream out your speculations.

over MAYBE GTX285 will be good "IF" PRICE IS CUT>>..
IF the price of GTX 285 comes down to 17k, then it WILL be a VFM buy. Who told you that the price will not come down?If nvidia has to survive, it will reduce prices. These days are not like the older ones when ati had recently launched 48xx series. Then nvidia was the king and could afford to keep prices high simply because of its brand value. Now, with consistent performances, ATI has a good brand value too and hence to stay in the game, nvidia has to either increase performance or decrease prices. That's a simple rule in business.

When ATI came up with 4870x2, everybody was going ga-ga over it, but nvidia responded with GTX295 which is king even now, compared to the 4-5 months which the 4870x2 was king. Just to give you another instance of nvidia's competitive changes. When 4870 launched, it pwned the original GTX260, but then they came up a version of GTX260 with a higher clock and better performance, which pwned 4870.

So, quit trolling, use common sense and stop trying to show all how great ATI is and please be more neutral and sensible.

Top Bottom