Hardware price list/spec sheet

tkin

Back to school!!
where do you keep this many dvd's?i rarely burn more than 4-5 dvd's in a month so can not comment on heavy usage but i don't see unusually large no. of complaints about LG dvd writers.
In dvd folders, I download 120GB per month, plus what I get from friends, I have enough entertainment supply to last me a lifetime :p

Souro_Ray

In the zone
I had one LG writer from about 2 years back that burnt around 600 DVDs before dying on me. RIP :( It cost me around Rs. 1200, and was paisa vasool

But the LG dvd writer i purchased after that was around Rs. 900 plus tax. The tray eject button was of poor quality; i had to press the button putting more pressure on the left part of the button than the right. It died in about 6 months

This week, i purchased the Asus DRW-24B3ST model of DVD writer on forum member Tenida's recommendation. It cost me around Rs. 1050 plus tax and the build quality is solid and very responsive. Let me see how many burns this one lasts ;)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i can understand burning dvd's now but before the hdd price rise it made more sense to buy a new hdd than to buy & burn dvd's.i too dl ~120gb per month(got bsnl 500 plan 1 year ago)but got a 2tb hdd which cost me less than equivalent no. of dvd's not to mention burning & verifying them & a lots of dvd folders.

tkin

Back to school!!
i can understand burning dvd's now but before the hdd price rise it made more sense to buy a new hdd than to buy & burn dvd's.i too dl ~120gb per month(got bsnl 500 plan 1 year ago)but got a 2tb hdd which cost me less than equivalent no. of dvd's not to mention burning & verifying them & a lots of dvd folders.
I burn everything down, hdds are too unreliable.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
The problem with Hard drives is you dont know when they'll crash. I have a 160GB and a 500GB hdd and have had them for 5 and 3 years respectively without any issue. But some people have had frequent issues with their hard drives. Its just luck, bro.. For DVDs, you have to keep them out of heat and moisture, or you can kiss that data goodbye ;)

sasha007

Broken In
So which one is the best dvd writer then .?

I heard LG is the best , but now some of you say Asus is good . Which one to buy .?

And i actually disconnected my dvd writer from my desktop some time back , bcoz i bought a new 1tb hdd and had only 2 sata ports , one of which was already occupied by a 160GB HDD . So i disconnected the optical drive and connected my 1TB HDD to it .

A month after that i tried to connect the optical drive by disconnecting the 160gb HDD , but it wasn't reading dvd's , though it was reading some cds but no dvds .

I then tried to connect the dvd writer to my laptop via USB ( thru an internal to external SATA drive casing ) today , and used a lens cleaner cd ( with brushes & a liquid ) to try and clean the writers lens . After that , still it reads a few cds , but no dvd's .

So my question is Can a DVD writer be repaired in the market .? And does a writer has different lenses for CD's & DVD's .? Can the lens be replaced .?

Or should i buy a new one .? Plz help .....

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Buying a new one is a much better option. The current crop of OEM dvd writers are manufactured that way, IMO..

Its just a matter of a couple of hundred rupees. Go for the Asus one and give it a try. Or you can the LG one. Your choice, bro ;)

sasha007

Broken In
Buying a new one is a much better option. The current crop of OEM dvd writers are manufactured that way, IMO..

Its just a matter of a couple of hundred rupees. Go for the Asus one and give it a try. Or you can the LG one. Your choice, bro ;)

Can't the current one be repaired by replacing the lens .?

And within Asus and LG which is the best .?

Even if i hadn't use my writer much , can it get dead .?:evil:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have very good experience with asus dvd drives ( bought 2 on 2009 ) and both of them have detection issue and you all know the distributor - so every time I submit the drives for RMA they would return a refurbished drive which would only last for 15-30 days - I threw one drive ( I was pissed so much ) out of window after submitting it for RMA for the 4th time and got ( this was a long process ) a light scribe drive as replacement for the second drive in a special way ;-)

BTW, how about HP DVD drives ? they cost around ~0.9-1k - anyone has experience about HP dvd drives, how good are they ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i guess it all depends on luck.i had a sony dvd writer which burned ~500 DVD's(in 2007 when hdd prices were insane & i was dl ~40-50gb in one night :D) sometimes 5-7 dvd's in a row & in the end had to replace not because of its lens but because of the open/close tray mechanism.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
what whitestar_999 said :)

its all a matter of luck. You cant blame it on the Made in China tag :p Electronics wouldnt be the electronics we know if they were completely dependable always ;)

sasha007

Broken In
Okay , I heard that LG were good . I actually used 2 LG writers in 5 yrs .

Weird that within 2 yrs of my current LG writer i burned less than 50 dvd's only . So can the lens go dead in that case too .? :O

And now many ppl recommend Asus . Is Asus really that good and even better than LG .?

One thing I'm concernerd about Asus is that Asus does not have service center so the product is RMA via distributor , where most probably we end up getting a refurbished .

While LG has dedicated service centers which repair and in some cases replace the writer with in new one within warranty .

So which is better then Asus or LG .?

tkin

Back to school!!
Okay , I heard that LG were good . I actually used 2 LG writers in 5 yrs .

Weird that within 2 yrs of my current LG writer i burned less than 50 dvd's only . So can the lens go dead in that case too .? :O

And now many ppl recommend Asus . Is Asus really that good and even better than LG .?

One thing I'm concernerd about Asus is that Asus does not have service center so the product is RMA via distributor , where most probably we end up getting a refurbished .

While LG has dedicated service centers which repair and in some cases replace the writer with in new one within warranty .

So which is better then Asus or LG .?
LG OEM drives are probably not covered in warranty, cause its oem, atleast the site says so, asus drives are box pack and are under warranty.

And why I am saying that asus is good?
Look at this:
Newegg.com - CD Burners, DVD Burners

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@tkin,see here:
LG GH22NP20 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA
The drives must be original LG branded drives with the DVD Writer model number
GH22NP20(no OEM units).
i have bought 2 lg drives from nehru place without box & both have LG logo in front & model no. written on sticker at the bottom clearly mentioning LG electronics india.just because a drive is not in a dox does not necessarily mean it is oem.

dfcols71

In the zone
hi guys can someone give some info on buying from costtocost i mean
reliability regarding transaction and product quality.
They seem to have good prices i5 2500k cpu 11100 + vat

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin,see here:
LG GH22NP20 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

i have bought 2 lg drives from nehru place without box & both have LG logo in front & model no. written on sticker at the bottom clearly mentioning LG electronics india.just because a drive is not in a dox does not necessarily mean it is oem.
Then why don't they give box? :evil:

What about Asus service if something gets wrong within warranty .?

So do they get replaced with new ones as LG does.?
Unless you are in kolkata, in kolkata rashi peripherals suck.

Anyway these drives always goes kaput after 1 year, beyond their warranty period, even lg or samsung ones, so no worries there.

sasha007

Broken In
Then why don't they give box? :evil:

Unless you are in kolkata, in kolkata rashi peripherals suck.

Anyway these drives always goes kaput after 1 year, beyond their warranty period, even lg or samsung ones, so no worries there.

goes kaput after 1 year .? :-o
What do u mean by that .? :confused:

And I live in Indore , so may'be it'll be fine here .

And how does newegg having many reviews for Asus suggest that it is the best .?

Top Bottom