Hard Drive keeps developing bad sectors repetedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
I assembled a Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.2 Ghz with 2GB DDR2 RAM and Gigabyte 845 Intel chipset motherboard, LG DVD Writer and XFX NVidia Gefore 8400 512MB a year back.

Purchased a Seagate barracoda 500GB @ 7200 rpm and it developed bad sectors in 6 months. I sent it to chennai as it was under warranty and a new drive was shipped to me within a week.

Now, the trouble started. After formatting and installing windows, in a day or two the hard disk developed bad sectors again. I sent it again and received a new one again. The same happened all over again.

In a time of 2 months I've got my hard drives replaced 4 times. I dont understand why this is happening. I'm running my PC with a 2GB pendrive with Live Linux. Everything works fine. Its just when I connect the hard disk it develops bad sectors in one or two days.
The Seetools software from seagate repairs the bad sectors by remapping with spare ones but every second day new ones develop.

I cant send the hard drive forth time back to Seagate. I'm sure they send new ones as the serial numbers are all different.

I'm very frustrated and don't know what to do. Please help

paroh

Padawan
My coursin also encounter same problem with his Seagate 500GB @ 7200 rpm SATA. If u are able to get ur hand on 1TB its good by paying the extra charges for that.

OP
V

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
My coursin also encounter same problem with his Seagate 500GB @ 7200 rpm SATA. If u are able to get ur hand on 1TB its good by paying the extra charges for that.

Well, its hard to believe that 4 hard disks can go wrong in 2 months. It goes into PIO mode and becomes terribly slow. It crawls and takes 10 mins to boot! Can my Gigabyte motherboard be at fault.

Although, Linux works fine through Live CD

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
One strong possibility (although not the only one) is the power connector to your hard disk. I've found that some hard disk power connectors, including SATA power adaptors, do not fit firmly enough. They cause intermittent power inputs to the hard disk while reading and writing and I've actually verified some cases where they cause bad sectors.

Another possibility is the HD mounting. If it is not firmly fixed to the cabinet or is subjected to strong vibration from any source, that can also cause it to develop bad sectors.

ranpot

Right off the assembly line
I think you donot have proper earthing and UPS. This two things are must otherwise you will face same problem all the time

OP
V

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
One strong possibility (although not the only one) is the power connector to your hard disk. I've found that some hard disk power connectors, including SATA power adaptors, do not fit firmly enough. They cause intermittent power inputs to the hard disk while reading and writing and I've actually verified some cases where they cause bad sectors.

The SATA power cable is of really bad quality. Its like inferior plastic. I also bought a new one but it was even worst. They are so cheap Rs.20! Can i purchase good ones online?

paroh

Padawan
Well, its hard to believe that 4 hard disks can go wrong in 2 months. It goes into PIO mode and becomes terribly slow. It crawls and takes 10 mins to boot! Can my Gigabyte motherboard be at fault.

Although, Linux works fine through Live CD

Same think is happening DMA 5 mode change to PIO mode.
Did u try to change the Power Cord and the sata cable?

For sata cable:- There is a cable of sata which get locked into the hard disk so that it dosn't get loosed

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
The PSU is 450V of Zebronics.
The source of your problem.
Google and download occt. Use the test mode as large data set and priority as normal. Press the On button. Press the off button EXACTLY after 2 minutes. After doing so, a folder will open. Upload the graph for +12v, +5v and +3.3v rail here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom