Hard disk suggestion

angie

At last the devil is here
I want to buy an external hard disk.
Budget: upto 6k
2.5" or 3.5"
Please suggest me models with esata ports or without.
If you have any idea about price (with esata ports), that will be very helpful.

hdknitro

bringing the world down
Go for either Seagate Go flex PRO. It has USB 3.0 interface
or for WD Passport. Both are available in 1TB.
I would prefer Seagate coz it is 7200RPM. and buy yourself a Usb sata to Esata adapter if u want

OP
angie

angie

At last the devil is here
oh, i forgot to mention that. I am looking for 1tb disk but my motherboard doesn't support usb 3.0.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
In anycase avoid Western digita external drives which comes with AC adapter. They usually come with 3 years warranty compared to seagate as far as external drives are concerned, but they come with Green editions and newer green editions are eventually failing.

hdknitro

bringing the world down
In anycase avoid Western digita external drives which comes with AC adapter. They usually come with 3 years warranty compared to seagate as far as external drives are concerned, but they come with Green editions and newer green editions are eventually failing.

Western digital is quite good dude, it doesn't need a power supply. just a single chord for data and power. just connect it to the USB and it is on. (note: I am talking about passport essential or "WD essentials" as known in market)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
just a single chord for data and power.

We're talking about 1TB+ external drives here btw :)

Like I said, newer WD green edition dies just how seagate 7200.11 rpm drives used to die, specifically made from Thailand? Eventually it ended up coming as a news in one of the well known review sites. No issues on seagate 7200.12rpm and WD black edition drives- yet.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@The Sorcerer
nice blog, dude !

Esp the youtube vid abt TDF and the machinegirl video :p

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Dude dude!!
I am telling you the external drive. check it out.

I know about USB 3.0 and their new power output specification. Its another question whether they are available in India for 6k. Besides, like i said they bundle up green edition drives and newer manufactured ones have issues of eventual failure. People can check out in TE and E forums if they want to or else they are free to take a plunge. The reliability should not be reduced just to keep it low power consumption.

Last edited:

Thiggonionlly

Right off the assembly line
I was trying to make a boot able usb drive using cmd promp and accidentally i selected a hard drive and gave the command CLEAN which formatted the hard disk drive completely. and now it doesn't show the hard drive anymore. I tried fixing it to another PC but still it doesn't show the hard drive.

hdknitro

bringing the world down
I know about USB 3.0 and their new power output specification. Its another question whether they are available in India for 6k. Besides, like i said they bundle up green edition drives and newer manufactured ones have issues of eventual failure. People can check out in TE and E forums if they want to or else they are free to take a plunge. The reliability should not be reduced just to keep it low power consumption.

Hey man!
you should really go to the market. WD essentials is available in India and it is under 5K. As for your persistent "WD caviar green" it is an INTERNAL DRIVE and not an EXTERNAL DRIVE. If people were afraid of disk failures they won't buy disk drives. And FYI I own one myself

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
you should really go to the market.
And you should crack them up open :mrgreen: .

You open them up an you get a green series drive- EACS drives- The same drives that you get in the market in an anti-static bag. You open them up and you get the same drive.

For everyone's info: the drives I opened up have different serial numbers on the WD case and on the hard drive but when checking on WD's serial number warranty period checkup, both only come with 1 year period. Its the same story for both 2.5inch and 3.5inch drives.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think WD has made special sn for those HDds so no can even claim more than 1 year warranty on those bare drives - clever strategy.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
oh, i forgot to mention that. I am looking for 1tb disk but my motherboard doesn't support usb 3.0.

Look for Seagate GoFlex drives.

Portable hard drive | USB hard Drive | FreeAgent | GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive | Seagate

The base model comes with USB 2.0 cable but the good thing is that you get upgrade cable for firewire, eSATA, compatible with seagate media player and netshare devices. Only thing is that it is a costly affair. these cables cost some 1k or higher.

not sure of any other seagate/WD device that supports eSATA.

update: purchased Seagate GoFlex 500Gb drive for a friend today. Paid 3.2k (including tax). Haven't opened the case yet. will ask my friend if I can open it or not and then post.

Last edited:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I think you should go for Seagate Freeagent desk,freeagent go or goflex as recommended by desibond.I am using seagate freeagent desk 500 gb and running smoothly.

Top Bottom